The Student Room Group

The Big Liverpool Veterinary School Q & A thread.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SilverstarDJ
The main downside I've heard about catered accommodation is that they will have set meal times and so if you get up late you might miss breakfast or if you want to go to a society meeting you'll also miss dinner (but may get a packed lunch? not sure). But of course it's all down to your personal preference. I personally couldn't imagine catered as I am such a fussy eater! :P

Vine court isn't actually that far to the vet building and you are likely to have lectures in various parts of campus anyway. I think I'd be able to walk from Vine to the vet building in about 10 mins at a regular sort of pace, maybe 15 mins max.

Good luck with choosing accommodation!

Thanks for that! Im leaning towards self-catered now :tongue: atleast then I can eat at my own pace and whenever I want as oppose to when the times are x
HI, sorry if this has been answered previously, but how is the questionnaire for Liverpool set out time period wise? Like do they ask for the number of weeks or days or hours at placements? I have done several days at placements spread out over a number of weeks so would this count as a week or can you just put down the number of hours? Sorry if I'm not making sense :smile:

also, super impressed at how much work ex everyone manages to do!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by HorseCanFly
HI, sorry if this has been answered previously, but how is the questionnaire for Liverpool set out time period wise? Like do they ask for the number of weeks or days or hours at placements? I have done several days at placements spread out over a number of weeks so would this count as a week or can you just put down the number of hours? Sorry if I'm not making sense :smile:

also, super impressed at how much work ex everyone manages to do!

At least historically they have asked for a number of weeks, but this is cumulative e.g. if you did one Saturday for 5 weeks, this would count as one week (1 week is 5 days).
thanks!
Hi, I'm just wondering if any current liverpool students on the new course (or anyone who has more information than I seem to be able to find!) could tell me a bit more about the course. How is it taught exactly? I've heard it's more like nottingham, which I know do a lot of pbl and I'm not sure I'd like. What proportions are pbl, lectures and practicals? How does pbl work exactly? Do you go to leahurst much? And yeah, overall what are the good and bad points about the course?
Sorry for so many questions, trying to decide on offers so would appreciate ANY help from anyone!
Hi!

I was just wondering what most vet students do for accommodation after the first year in halls? Do they get a house in the city for the first few years and then move out, closer to Leahurst in the last year? Or just travel from the city for the whole 5 years? I have no idea haha, Thanks :smile:
Original post by livlawrence
Hi!

I was just wondering what most vet students do for accommodation after the first year in halls? Do they get a house in the city for the first few years and then move out, closer to Leahurst in the last year? Or just travel from the city for the whole 5 years? I have no idea haha, Thanks :smile:

First three years Liverpool. Move into a rented accomodation on smithdown road near university normally with a few housemates in second and third year. Fourth/fifth move out to leahurst in Neston- currently private rent houses but Liverpool are going to build some accomodation so that may be what happens in the future.
Awesome, Thank you!
Reply 88
We have a very nice house coming up for rent in Neston (Feb 2015) 3 bedrooms in a quiet residential road within 2 minutes of shops, bars and restaurants. Is there a noticeboard where it is appropriate to post information? Thanks
Original post by dosequis
We have a very nice house coming up for rent in Neston (Feb 2015) 3 bedrooms in a quiet residential road within 2 minutes of shops, bars and restaurants. Is there a noticeboard where it is appropriate to post information? Thanks

Most student will need accommodation from September 2015 I'm afraid as we are all sorted for houses for this academic year.
Reply 90
Thanks very much for the prompt reply. Where is the best place to advertise for September please -and what month?
Original post by dosequis
Thanks very much for the prompt reply. Where is the best place to advertise for September please -and what month?

Most students will start looking from just before Christmas until June for a house for the following September. We have a notice board in our Liverpool common room but email might be another way of disseminating information, try to contact our society president or 3rd year rep (contact details at http://www.luvs.org.uk/home.html ) .
Reply 92
Any info on the Liverpool MMI stations for this year? Are there rest stations? Is there any form of talk or tour beforehand or do you just turn up for your interview and then leave?

Thanks!
Original post by Shrap
Any info on the Liverpool MMI stations for this year? Are there rest stations? Is there any form of talk or tour beforehand or do you just turn up for your interview and then leave?

Thanks!

We're not allowed to talk about questions that may come up in an interview on TSR but a google search might enlighten you to what sort of format MMIs actually are. I don't believe that there is a talk or tour before hand. There always used to be one rest station. I might not be up to date on the format of the Liverpool interview since I've not been helping out this year with interviews so someone please correct me if the format has changed. It's quite fast paced, a bit like speed dating, but hopefully you will find it enjoyable. Good luck!
Reply 94
Hiya thanks for the reply. Yeah I've had my Bristol interview so know about not divulging questions. Just the station headings really is all I was looking for. The only thing I've found on the internet is the powerpoint for when the MMI format came out, which is different... Hoping someone else will see this!

Thanks
Original post by Shrap
Hiya thanks for the reply. Yeah I've had my Bristol interview so know about not divulging questions. Just the station headings really is all I was looking for. The only thing I've found on the internet is the powerpoint for when the MMI format came out, which is different... Hoping someone else will see this!

Thanks

https://www.liv.ac.uk/veterinary-science/undergraduate/prospective-applicants/bvsc-applicants/

May be helpful... just gonna leave it here
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi
Does anyone have Any suggestion on where best to live for the first year at all and what societies and clubs are the best to get involved with in their opinion?
Original post by The Country Lad
Hi
Does anyone have Any suggestion on where best to live for the first year at all and what societies and clubs are the best to get involved with in their opinion?

Where you want to live is pretty much a personal preference, and you might not get 1st choice of halls depending on how popular they are. Some of the new halls look really nice but I still can't believe how expensive they are! Liverpool used to do an accommodation open day once all offers were given out, not sure if this is still available but defo worth it if you are unsure. Otherwise looking on their website will give you more details about accommodation.

In terms of societies, it really depends what you want to do! There are some vet only sports societies but other than that there are literally hundreds of societies you can choose from! In freshers week there will be society stalls where you can find out what will interest you. If you're into art I'd recommend the art soc - I used to run it :smile: I joined 3 different societies in 1st year, and then later on dropped a few of them. You can join societies at any point in the year, and it's good to give new things a go or carry on with hobbies you were interested in before uni. Check out the LGoS website for a list of societies. You can even set up your own society if you feel something is missing.
(edited 9 years ago)
Does anyone know if Liverpool are still handing out interviews still or has everything been handed out?

I haven't heard anything back since the work experience form and I hate this waiting game!

(sorry if I've asked, I honestly don't remember!)
Reply 99
I'm not sure. A few people were given interviews recently for their last interview date. But they may not have filled up all the spots on that day. Maybe call and ask if all interviews had gone out? I did phone a while ago and they told me we would hear either way by the end of February.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending