The Student Room Group

David Cameron: "The time has come for gay couples to marry"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Perseveranze
[INDENT] Concerning mental health and homosexuality, studies have long indicated that homosexuals have a substantially greater risk of suffering from a psychiatric problems (suicide, depression, bulimia, antisocial personality disorder, and substance abuse).[1][/INDENT]

The website also says this:

'According to Kevin Berrill, Director of the Anti-Violence Project of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force at the time of the report's release stated, "The increased risk of suicide facing these youth is linked to growing up in a society that teaches them to hide and to hate themselves. We welcome this report and hope it will lead to action that will save lives."'

[INDENT] For example, a national survey of female homosexuals was published in the Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology which found that 75 percent of the approximate 2,000 respondents had pursued psychological counseling of some type, many for treatment of long-term depression or sadness.[2]
[/INDENT]

Ditto the first thing I quoted.

[QUOTE][INDENT]A new study in the United Kingdom has revealed that homosexuals are about 50% more likely to suffer from depression and engage in substance abuse than the rest of the population, reports Health24.com.

After analyzing 25 earlier studies on sexual orientation and mental health, researchers, in a study published in the medical journal BMC Psychiatry,
also found that the risk of suicide jumped over 200% if an individual had engaged in a homosexual lifestyle. [3][/INDENT]
Overwhelmingly biased source, seen from just looking around the page for about 2 seconds. Found these:

' Drs. Paul and Kirk Cameron [Kirk Cameron is an ex-actor and well-known Christian creationist and evangelist] of the Family Research Institute [just Google them and you'll see what I'm getting at] revealed in 2007 that research shows that the lifespan of a homosexual is on average 24 years shorter than that of a heterosexual.'

'Dr. Rick Fitzgibbons, a psychiatrist and member of the Catholic Medical Association'

'Fitzgibbons said the American Psychological Association, which is known for its support of homosexual "marriage," [why is the word 'marriage' in quotation marks...?]'

Really. Your argument is shockingly terrible. I'm almost in disbelief.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Anna150
None of that supports your argument unless you think that by not coming out gay people cease to be gay.

I don't think you understood my argument. I never said anything about a person being gay, that's what they are, some can't help it.

I am merely talking about "comming out" and showing a public display of your sexuality. I believe (based on the evidences) that it leads to greater homophobia which in turn leads to more depression and suicides.

For you to completely dismiss the above premises is simply turning a blind eye against an honest reality.
Reply 142
Original post by badcheesecrispy
depression can and is passed on by genes god you know nothing you. well you are a muslim, what would you know about science?

The Ottoman Empire was one of the most scientific and ahead of it's time in the 15th and 16th centuries, even under Islam. If you're going to make poor generalisations about religion or a group of people then you clearly don't know what discrimination/racism is - which comes as a surprise from someone trying to vouch for one of the most persecuted groups in history.
Ok, that logic does not follow. If gays hide their sexuality, they're far better off than if they "came out" with it.

It takes a simple bit of "knowledge" for you to see someone in a completely different light.

Anyways, regarding depression;

[INDENT] Concerning mental health and homosexuality, studies have long indicated that homosexuals have a substantially greater risk of suffering from a psychiatric problems (suicide, depression, bulimia, antisocial personality disorder, and substance abuse).[1][/INDENT]

The report continues, citing more references -

[INDENT] For example, a national survey of female homosexuals was published in the Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology which found that 75 percent of the approximate 2,000 respondents had pursued psychological counseling of some type, many for treatment of long-term depression or sadness.[2]
[/INDENT]

And we further find the effects of "comming out" -

[INDENT]A new study in the United Kingdom has revealed that homosexuals are about 50% more likely to suffer from depression and engage in substance abuse than the rest of the population, reports Health24.com.

After analyzing 25 earlier studies on sexual orientation and mental health, researchers, in a study published in the medical journal BMC Psychiatry,
also found that the risk of suicide jumped over 200% if an individual had engaged in a homosexual lifestyle. [3]

[/INDENT]

I would also recommend reading this Guardian article; http://www.guardian.co.uk/theobserver/2010/aug/22/gay-attitude-depression-isolation

None of that refers to gay people who have come out. If you'd like to support what you're saying, you need statistics of depression among closeted homosexuals vs. open homosexuals.

Now imo, the reason for higher depression is due to homophobia (though I could be wrong), but that's what I believe, as I don't think depression can be passed on genetically.

You are wrong.
It could be due to homophobia, but they'd still be gay even if they were closeted, so they'd still feel the effects of the homophobia. And depression can be passed on genetically - see modern neuropsychology.

So as you can hopefully see, my comments were not "baseless" as many seem to presume. It's unfortunately a fear factor for many of being labeled a homophobic or "backward", that desists them from looking at it from a bigger picture.

In reality, you're merely speaking in favour and care (and it may not seem like that, but objectively speaking it is); the marriage rights, which will increase homosexuals "comming out" will inevitably lead to more depression and suicides. At least that's what I can conclude from the evidences. I'm in favour of homosexuals keeping their sexuality a secret and a "don't tell, don't ask" system being implemented.

It's for the best.

While your comments may not be baseless, what you have based them on isn't true.
Original post by najinaji
The website also says this:

'According to Kevin Berrill, Director of the Anti-Violence Project of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force at the time of the report's release stated, "The increased risk of suicide facing these youth is linked to growing up in a society that teaches them to hide and to hate themselves. We welcome this report and hope it will lead to action that will save lives."'

Ditto the first thing I quoted.

Overwhelmingly biased source, seen from just looking around the page for about 2 seconds. Found these:

' Drs. Paul and Kirk Cameron [Kirk Cameron is an ex-actor and well-known Christian creationist and evangelist] of the Family Research Institute revealed in 2007 that research shows that the lifespan of a homosexual is on average 24 years shorter than that of a heterosexual.'

'Dr. Rick Fitzgibbons, a psychiatrist and member of the Catholic Medical Association'

'Fitzgibbons said the American Psychological Association, which is known for its support of homosexual "marriage," [why is the word 'marriage' in quotation marks...?]'

Really. Your argument is shockingly terrible. I'm almost in disbelief.

Right, let's miss ignore it. I do not think 60 years ago, when Homosexuals kept their sexuality a secret, did we find many cases of either depression or suicide, like we see it today.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 145
Original post by minimarshmallow
It doesn't matter what you think about it, it is an inequality between the two.
Also the fact that one is called marriage and one is called civil partnership, that's an inequality too.

Stop degrading the word equality in this context. And you have also just expressed an opinion...it doesn't matter what you think. I have stated why the two don't deserve the same title, whereas you have not
Original post by ohirome
Do you think that only gay people can get HIV? Oh dear, you should possibly report your teachers for giving you such a *******s education. Bless.

lol Guy above me was replying to somebody saying:

"[Gay people] are slightly more likely to get AIDS"

FML. Mongoloids up in here.
Reply 147
Original post by Playa10
You have no idea why my username is 'playa'...it certainly isn't because i think of myself as one who 'plays' women. But perhaps you should get a cock to your arse...looks like as if you have been starved of one.

Ahhhh, that old chestnut. You homophobic types are absolutely fascinated by anal sex. Ever tried it? You should post an anonymous thread sometime if you're so interested, I'm sure there are plenty of us around here who can give you advice given that you seem so curious.
Right, let's miss ignore it. I do not think 60 years ago, when Homosexuals kept their sexuality a secret, did we find many cases of either depression or suicide, like we see it today.

'Things may be changing, but the damage inflicted by homophobia and growing up "different" has already been done for many gay men. "Homosexuality" was not taken off the list of psychiatric disorders until 1993, making it especially difficult for older gay men to reveal their sexuality to mental health providers'

Overall, gay people tend to kill themselves because people tell them they're not as good as straight people.

I do not think 60 years ago, when Homosexuals kept their sexuality a secret, did we find many cases of either depression or suicide, like we see it today.

I am honestly appealing to you to use some small degree of logic here.
How could they possibly have known how many gay people killed themselves when it was illegal to be homosexual? How likely is it that they told people they were gay? How likely is it that those statistics were even compiled?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ohirome
Sorry, I didn't mean to be so harsh. Im simply a bit tired of my sexuality being compared to things like incest and pedophilia. Its incredibly tiring.

I understand, you dont have to apologise it was a misunderstanding :smile: All im saying is a share the same view...im against close minded people. But believe me laws dont change the way people think. and thats the problem! :frown:
Reply 150
I don't think you understood my argument. I never said anything about a person being gay, that's what they are, some can't help it.

I am merely talking about "comming out" and showing a public display of your sexuality. I believe (based on the evidences) that it leads to greater homophobia which in turn leads to more depression and suicides.

For you to completely dismiss the above premises is simply turning a blind eye against an honest reality.

None of those resources differentiate between gays that are public and closet-gays. None of them suggest a gay person is better off by not coming out.

If the depression and suicide cases are caused by homophobia then why isn't the best solution to crack down on homophobia?
Reply 151
Finally! Good to see the government is bringing an end to this ridiculous discrimination :]

You should really take up the art of reading.
evil smh
Original post by ANARCHY__
contradiction quote

:lol:

Original post by ANARCHY__
You should really take up the art of reading.

I concur. They are pretty much the Hamza Tzortis of TSR.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Playa10
Stop degrading the word equality in this context. And you have also just expressed an opinion...it doesn't matter what you think. I have stated why the two don't deserve the same title, whereas you have not

How am I degrading the word equality? Equality means 'the state of being equal'.
A different name is not equal. The thing about the titles being present in one but not the other is not equal.
I am honestly appealing to you to use some small degree of logic here.
How could they possibly have known how many gay people killed themselves when it was illegal to be homosexual? How likely is it that they told people they were gay? How likely is it that those statistics were even compiled?

Many have tried and failed. I'm afraid he is true to his name. You just cannot erase the indelible mark of stupidity from Perseveranze. He'll keep goin' at 'ya!

EDIT: Appreciate the laughter! :biggrin: Have a +1 on me!
Reply 157
Original post by ohirome
Ahhhh, that old chestnut. You homophobic types are absolutely fascinated by anal sex. Ever tried it? You should post an anonymous thread sometime if you're so interested, I'm sure there are plenty of us around here who can give you advice given that you seem so curious.

Definitely
Reply 158
Original post by minimarshmallow
How am I degrading the word equality? Equality means 'the state of being equal'.
A different name is not equal. The thing about the titles being present in one but not the other is not equal.

Formal equality demands 'like for like' treatment. It does not permit differences in treatment. But when you ask for the title to be given to the partner of a homo, you are not asking for formal equality, but a difference of treatment.

This is because a 'like for like' treatment would mean that the homo person who gets the title would be referred to as 'lord' and his homo partner would have to get the title 'lady'. That is formal equality. But what you are asking for is that both of them get the title of 'lord'. In this instance, you are not asking for 'like for like' treatment, but a difference of treatment. Clearly, you have a misconception of the meaning of formal equality
:lol:

I concur. They are pretty much the Hamza Tzortis of TSR.

Could be him you know! Maybe he shares his time between two accounts to avoid detection and prevent people from picking up on his incongruity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending