The Student Room Group

Biomed = fast-track Medicine?

Hi everyone.
I have a terrible dilemma at the moment. I wanted to go into medicine next year, but have been rejected in all my medical schools (prob because i'm not even 17 yet...), and now i've applied to Surrey for Biomedicine. I now have an offer and I really like the place, and I think i'll enjoy the course. After the 3/4 year course I would like to go into Graduate Medicine. My other option is to take a year out and do something for a year, and then reapply. But I really don't want to use up a whole year without doing any university studies and being away from education in the field. So my questions are:

1. have any of you done this "fast-track" medicine course from biomedicine into medicine....?? Please help someone...i really need to be reassured that this is possible and that it's not going to make me a bad doctor...
2. what do you think i should do? (because i think surrey woudl be very nice...)
3. does anyone know what universities accept students from Biomedicine into their Graduate Medicine course?

Thanks ever so much,
Anna :smile:
If you really like the idea or biomed at surrey then go for it but from what ive heard graduate entry is even more competitive than regular entry and a biomed degree is not an automatic way into medicine.
As a person on a gap year (i was in your situation last year) I would recommend that option. Obiviously this is my personal opinion, but a gap year is a good way of getting more work experience, earning some money, maybe travelling. if you really feel you need to continue studying you could maybe take up a language or something.
A gap year will improve your application(if you use it wisely) and next year you have every chance of getting an offer.
Reply 2
Yes but what about being away for a whole year... I mean isn't it then harder to get into the habit of doing work again and studying and reminding yourself of all the things that you have done at school? And then what are the chances I get in the second time around?
Reply 3
For you, chances of getting in next year are probably higher because you'll be old enough.
Reply 4
Apply when you're old enough. Why would you want to risk getting to medical school by taking another degree (generally, if you don't get a 2i you're screwed!).

Also, if you're aiming for GEP medicine, think of a different degree - biomed sci is becoming very popular for people trying to get in to medicine, and as a result UCAS forms can look very samey very quickly. I'd do something different to make your application stand out...
Pinkchica
Hi everyone.
I have a terrible dilemma at the moment. I wanted to go into medicine next year, but have been rejected in all my medical schools (prob because i'm not even 17 yet...), and now i've applied to Surrey for Biomedicine. I now have an offer and I really like the place, and I think i'll enjoy the course. After the 3/4 year course I would like to go into Graduate Medicine. My other option is to take a year out and do something for a year, and then reapply. But I really don't want to use up a whole year without doing any university studies and being away from education in the field. So my questions are:

1. have any of you done this "fast-track" medicine course from biomedicine into medicine....?? Please help someone...i really need to be reassured that this is possible and that it's not going to make me a bad doctor...
2. what do you think i should do? (because i think surrey woudl be very nice...)
3. does anyone know what universities accept students from Biomedicine into their Graduate Medicine course?

Thanks ever so much,
Anna :smile:

ok, you'll fogive my abruptness but you are being reallllly daft
you are in a diamond position.
Really.

biomedicine is a balls subject. don't do it. if you're a medic then have the guts to stand up and go for it.

you are young so they don't want to introduce you to the uni environmen6t, its a natural precaution they do in many subjects.
but in this next year you can do so much to further yourself both in way of chances of getting into uni and skills.
one thing you can do is train as a phlebotomist, maybe even work with the blood bank groups.
if you get your certificate of training in phlebotomy (some hospitals will train you for free, some may charge) then you may be able to get paid work, or may be able to volounteer to help at bone marrow donor clinics (anthony nolan trust, some unis have a 'marrow' society etc).
you can do some work in nursing homes, get yourselves trained in looking after the elderly and infirm.
or try volounteering to work with disabled children.
you can go travelling for a few months, see something of the world.
you could mix the two. do the age olde thing of going somewhere crap like africa and doing some community project there - even if it is limited in its medical capacity.

all these things will help impress anyone at the application for medicine. especially at interview. all you have to say is 'i was too young/skippedahead a year so went out and did this this this and this, and it reaffirmed my desire to do medicine'.
you'd be in in a second.
Reply 6
Wow thanx Robot Chicken...I guess you're right. I'm just being really confused and I really want to get some support. Thank you so much. What you've said makes so much sense - i DOES put me in a good position and I guess it is the best way to get them interested. Really didn't look at the positive side there... all those projects you suggested sound super - i just didn't know that was possible... I'll let you know what i plan to do. Thanx again :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending