The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
What is the easiest way to determine that angle between two vectors is acute? Is it just that dot product will be negative?
Original post by Arva
Sounds good. I think I got 72/75 but if I get a really harsh examiner it could go down to 71. That's why I'm so worried, since C4's a lot harder and if I mess one question up there goes my A*.

I'm not going anywhere yet (I'm in year 12), but I'm planning to apply to 3 unis out of my five who require an A* in Maths, I think; of course, those applications all go out the window if I screw this up right at the end.

:sadnod: I agree although you're looking at 94UMS roughly depending on boundaries but I see! and you could always retake C4 in January? D:

I just want an A* for pride purposes :getmecoat:

Ah! So Maths/Economics/Physics?
Reply 782
Original post by soempty
What is the easiest way to determine that angle between two vectors is acute? Is it just that dot product will be negative?

I'd just use the scalar product to find the cosine of the angle, find the actual angle, and check if it was above 270 or below 90 degrees. Either of these means there's an acute angle between the two.
Reply 783
Original post by Brand New Eyes
:sadnod: I agree although you're looking at 94UMS roughly depending on boundaries but I see! and you could always retake C4 in January? D:

I just want an A* for pride purposes :getmecoat:

Ah! So Maths/Economics/Physics?

Economics. Top unis aren't too fond of retakes, I believe, and that would mean the A* in Maths would arrive too late for me to apply with it, making it useless and probably shutting me out of Oxbridge/UCL/LSE completely. :frown:
Original post by soempty
Well, scalar product uses a cosine function. If the dot product is positive then the angle is acute. If the dot product is negative then the angle is obtuse...
Reply 785
Original post by soempty

There is always an acute angle between two vectors if their is an obtuse angle.
Taking the modulus of a.b will ensure you get the acute angle but as stated above, just think of where cos is +/- to establish whether its the acute or obtuse.
Reply 786
Original post by Llewellyn
Well, scalar product uses a cosine function. If the dot product is positive then the angle is acute. If the dot product is negative then the angle is obtuse...

:facepalm: I forgot that.
I would have added in the extra step of finding the actual angle rather than using the cosine value...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 787
Original post by kozo
There is always an acute angle between two vectors if their is an obtuse angle.

Sorry, but that's wrong.
Reply 788
Original post by Arva
Sorry, but that's wrong.

You are saying if two direction vectors intersect there will, in some cases, only be an acute OR obtuse angle....?
Reply 789
Original post by Jorgeyy
Whoever negged you for that is despicable. +rep

Edit: Oh, it won't even let me rep you because it's been too frequent, I think I have a crush on your maths ability 8-)

Cheers :wink: Does that mean you'll swap your C3 exam paper for mine? Didn't go as well as would have liked. :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Puloot
guys, why differentiation of U= 2^x is U'= 2^x . ln2 ??? HELPP PLEASE!

Remember that f(x)f(x) is equivalent to eln(f(x))e^{\ln(f(x))}

Using that identity would be the simplest way to differentiate here.

Extension if you want more: differentiate x^x
If anyone wants any help I'd be happy to give my input. I did C4 this Thursday so I've just come off quite a bit of revision.
Reply 792
Original post by Llewellyn
Remember that f(x)f(x) is equivalent to eln(f(x))e^{\ln(f(x))}

Using that identity would be the simplest way to differentiate here.

Extension if you want more: differentiate x^x

I like to do it implicitly instead :dontknow:.
Original post by Arva
I'd just use the scalar product to find the cosine of the angle, find the actual angle, and check if it was above 270 or below 90 degrees. Either of these means there's an acute angle between the two.

Above 270? Aren't acute angles less than 90? :s-smilie:
Reply 794
Original post by kozo
You are saying if two direction vectors intersect there will, in some cases, only be an acute OR obtuse angle....?

obtuse = less than 180. Acute = less than 90. The two can never add up to 360 degrees, ever.
Reply 795
Original post by TheNoobyPotato
Above 270? Aren't acute angles less than 90? :s-smilie:

Yep, but the two angles between a vector will always add up to 360 degrees - so if the result you get is more than 270, you can tell that the other angle is less than 90 and thus acute. :smile:
Original post by Arva
I like to do it implicitly instead :dontknow:.
You would have to take a logarithm first if you wanted to differentiate implicitly, but that is essentially the same method. People have different preferences and that's fine so long as you get the correct result.
Reply 797
Original post by Arva
obtuse = less than 180. Acute = less than 90. The two can never add up to 360 degrees, ever.

I never once stated that. I have stated if you have an obtuse angle between two intersecting direction vectors then you also have an acute angle.
That has nothing to do with them adding to give 360 degrees.
Original post by Arva
Economics. Top unis aren't too fond of retakes, I believe, and that would mean the A* in Maths would arrive too late for me to apply with it, making it useless and probably shutting me out of Oxbridge/UCL/LSE completely. :frown:

Would probably matter most for LSE, but very true, and Warwick. As long as you're predicted A* you can put the overall grade as "pending" on UCAS and declare a unit to be taken at a later date. It could just be that your school takes C4 in Jan (we do that at mine for the FM group)

Oxford only asks for A :smile: but judging by your aptitude I'm sure you will! Good luck.

I'm not sure which paper to do...

For anyone who's curious to grade boundaries over the years:

Picture 12.png
Reply 799
Original post by kozo
I never once stated that. I have stated if you have an obtuse angle between two intersecting direction vectors then you also have an acute angle.
That has nothing to do with them adding to give 360 degrees.

And that was wrong, since the two angles of vector intersection will always add up to 360 degrees - thus they can't be obtuse and acute - one of them must be a reflex angle unless the vectors are perpendicular.

Latest

Trending

Trending