The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
January 2011 .. what a beautiful paper !!
Original post by Crushy
aln(b) is equal to ln(b^a). It's one of the rules of logs. Then use the rules of indices to simplify. So -2ln(0.5) = ln(0.5^(-2)) = ln(1/(0.5^2)) = ln(1/(1/4)) = ln(4)

Original post by Hobo389
The -2 becomes the power over 0.5. Ie. -2ln(0.5) = ln(0.5)^-2 which is then ln4

That was simple! Thanks :smile:
Original post by rubadubdub
http://www.sci2.co.uk/maths/C4/Edexcel/2006%20Jan%20QP.pdf

jan 2006 paper

for question 7b, how do you do it?
I understand that dr.dt = dV/dt / dV/dr but where do I get the dV/dt?? And I don't see where I need to use the chain rule!!

I think its an error on that paper. Its supposed to say dV/dt = f(t) not dV/dr = f(t)
Reply 1383
Original post by Brand New Eyes
try using the substitution u=tanx :wink: and remember what tanx differentiates to. then changing dx into du will leave your sec^2x to cancel out

Brilliant thank you! any idea for tan^3(x)?
Reply 1384
Original post by Barkziee
I think its an error on that paper. Its supposed to say dV/dt = f(t) not dV/dr = f(t)

oh yeah
i read that as dv/dt xD not dv/dr io just read the little text above it and assumed
Reply 1385
Original post by stuck18
January 2011 .. what a beautiful paper !!

i've just done it this afternoon aswell, easiest one I've done so far, got to say hello to mr A* :colone:
Reply 1386
Do papers from earlier years... Like jan 2008. Those papers are plain nasty.
Reply 1387
Original post by soempty
Do papers from earlier years... Like jan 2008. Those papers are plain nasty.

already done them. not that bad..
Original post by stuck18
already done them. not that bad..

I agree with this, they're not bad at all. Easy marks at the end of those papers.
Reply 1389
Original post by 99llewellyn99
it from solomon A and its a trapezium question so i dont think it will take much time

I didn't realise you just want confirmation of y value. Yeah, MS looks out . Did you get y4 = 0.76446...? I did this paper a while ago and don't remember the final answer being wrong. Is it or is it just this working error?
Original post by hellie7
Brilliant thank you! any idea for tan^3(x)?

continue with your method from before:

Original post by Mathematix
∫tan³x dx
= ∫tan²x tanx dx
= ∫(sec²x−1)tanx dx
= ∫sec²xtanx dx ∫tanx dx

Put u=tanx, then du/dx=sec²x, du=sec²xdx

Leading to:

∫u du ∫tanx dx
=u²/2 ln|secx| + C
=(tan²x)/2 ln|secx| + C
Anyone have general tips to approach rates of change questions?

And also a list of the mensuration formula we may be required to use? Like spheres etc
Reply 1392
Original post by rubadubdub
http://www.sci2.co.uk/maths/C4/Edexcel/2006%20Jan%20QP.pdf

jan 2006 paper

for question 7b, how do you do it?
I understand that dr.dt = dV/dt / dV/dr but where do I get the dV/dt?? And I don't see where I need to use the chain rule!!

Don't use the Edexcel papers from the site, they're old versions of the of the papers and there are several that have errors. Go to http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce08/maths/Pages/default.aspx
Reply 1393

And also a list of the mensuration formula we may be required to use? Like spheres etc

Read "mensuration" like "menstruation".
Reply 1394

I need to write down all the variables and the relationships (none differential equations, ratios, etc) between them at the start. A diagram nearly always helps. It's then usually possible to answer the questions by doing 1 or 2 differentiations and applying the Chain Rule. However, you may need to come up with more than one version of the Chain Rule to answer the question. It's very easiy to correctly apply the Chain Rule, but with a wrong variable and then you're stuffed.

I love these questions. They make you think, but they can take time though if you don't spot something quickly enough.

I'm pretty sure they'd give the sphere formula, but perhaps they'd expect you to know a cone and ones that are fairly obvious, like a cylinder.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by grazie
I need to write down all the variables and the relationships (none differential equations, ratios, etc) between them at the start. A diagram nearly always helps. It's then usually possible to answer the questions by doing 1 or 2 differentiations and applying the Chain Rule. However, you may need to come up with more than one version of the Chain Rule to answer the question. It's very easiy to correctly apply the Chain Rule, but with a wrong variable and then you're stuffed.

I love these questions. They make you think, but they can take time though if you don't spot something quickly enough.

Same, I like them.

...but we never did any in class so the only ones I have done are in papers so I am not always that great xD

I didn't even consider using ratios for a question, I was sat blankly trying to apply the chain rule :colondollar:

Did you learn all of the mensuration formulae?
Reply 1396
Did you learn all of the mensuration formulae?

Nope, I'd forget them immediately...I have the memory of a goldfish. If one comes up that I don't know and can't work out, I'll make something up.
If you're integrating by substitution, what do you do if the substituted higher value is less than the substituted lower value?

For example say the integral says to find between x=4 and x=0, but when you substitute it for t you get t=2 on top and t=3 on the bottom?

I seem to remember that if you switch them round you have to make the integral negative, if that's right can anyone explaint to me why it is? Thank you :smile:
Reply 1398
Original post by emmaaa88
If you're integrating by substitution, what do you do if the substituted higher value is less than the substituted lower value?

For example say the integral says to find between x=4 and x=0, but when you substitute it for t you get t=2 on top and t=3 on the bottom?

I seem to remember that if you switch them round you have to make the integral negative, if that's right can anyone explaint to me why it is? Thank you :smile:

I can't concisely explain to you why switching the limits round if you've got an overall negative expression to integrate, but it works.

However, if changing the limits results in getting a larger value for the bottom limit than the top, don't automatically switch them to make it look right. It nearly always come good when plugging in the values.
Reply 1399
Original post by emmaaa88

Changing the limits round will change the sign of an expression to integrate (or resulting expression/value after integration) from negative to positive and vice versa.

Latest

Trending

Trending