The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i think its just because the weather yesterday was pretty crap. wednesdays are quite busy day's lecture wise for most people too... well especially me and my friends. the campus as a rule is usually buzzing, i love it, especially outside the peter chalk centre, guild shops and SoBE buildings, i think its unfortunate you didn't get to see the campus at its best. it is a rah university - more so than others, but then again, the majority of people are completely normal, and most of the rahs are down to earth too, they are human afterall. you shouldn't let it bother you, you will find that anywhere. xx
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
:ditto:
However, if you come from an area with loads of black people, don't expect the same here, cos you just won't find it!
Reply 3
What can i say about exeter uni? quite a lot seeing that i just finished my maths degree there. Exeter is a nice little place to go study and it is definitely RAH. RAhs are everywhere especially the library entrance, they hang around smoking fags and act RAH. But all in all exeter is quite a good uni and u will hopefully meet some people who are on the same wavelenght as u. And yes thsi uni is mostly white, with few asians, and hardly blacks.

Clubbing wise theres 3 main nites, monday Arena, wed Timepiece (sports people), and thursday Warehouse, and sat Lemmy on campus. pretty good for the 1st year id say but u will get bored real quickly. Exeter is such a small place for a city ull probably get bored of the place after the 1st term. ALthough i met a bunch of really good mates there that ill keep in touch with for life, i did say to myself on a few occasions now about not going to loondon where there is so much more goin on.

But ultimately the decision is urs and i would gladly answer more questions should you have any to ask.
Reply 4
There was a thread posted with percentages of state school pupils, and Bristol had a lower percentage than Exeter. So it's probably not really as Rah as it's made out to be.
Reply 5
Supercat are you going for York or Exeter? I have the same choice for History! Have u had a look at either?
Reply 6
I've seen both and I just don't know what to do! I think I prefer Exeter; it's much prettier, the course is great, the town is the right size for me, there are beaches nearby (:wink:) and the accommodation looks fab. But then my head says York, because it's supposedly more prestigious. I'm currently having an internal battle! I don't know what to do.
Reply 7
Go where you want to go. Prestige is obviously a factor but Exeter is definitely not a bad uni. It's a red-brick uni for a start, and the fact that it isn't a Russell Group uni doesn't mean a lot, imo. The Russell Group universities are only part of this group because of the amount of research output, which doesn't have a massive effect on undergraduates. Someone tried to tell me some sort of bullplop about this research ethic filtering through to undergraduates, which is why it's important for us too (apparently). However, I don't believe you should need the influence of your postgrads and lecturers to have a good research/work ethic. If you're going to university you should have this anyway without them needing to lead by example (if that makes sense!). Good luck choosing.
Reply 8
Yah I had a look at York and thought town, campus and course were lovely so I'm leaning towards York! I still wana see Exeter tho so I'm coming down for a tour next week...which one struck you as having a better social life and generally friendlier feel?
Reply 9
Exeter seemed a bit friendlier, I think. But the town is quite small; that's fine for me, because I'm not a big clubber (I prefer bars/clubs/restaurants and there seemed to be those). So it sort of depends on what you want.
Reply 10
I'm currently pretending to try and choose between York and Exeter aswell...I know Yorks better but I know I'll end up at Exeter, I think I left my heart there when I visited, waay back in September! Its lush. Go.
Reply 11
Yeah I'll have to see when I visit! It's such a touch choice cos neither are clubbing places and both campus unis..I think its a choice between beautiful campus and beaches nearby...Exeter...or more prestigious uni and slightly bigger town..York!
Please can all those going who consider themselves non-rah, or even anti-rah, wear a carnation on the first day - I need to find you guys!
The rahs make a little clique as soon as you get to uni so you shouldn't have a problem making friends. Trust me, I live in Holland Hall - supposedly the most 'rah' of the lot, and I have tons of friends, none of them being toffs. The whole 'rah' thing is definitely exaggerated!
Personally, I don't like York - Exeter has better clubs (not great ones, mind you, but still better), a much more aesthetically pleasing environment to study Keats in/stagger home drunk from, endlessly better sports facilities (we're one of the best universities for sports after all!), beaches, gorgeous countryside and none of the miserable chilly weather of the north!

Exeter might not be as good as York in terms of research ratings for certain subjects, but you won't regret that when you're sitting in the garden of the Impy during the summer sipping pimms/some brand of hardcore Devon ale - I prefer girly drinks myself :redface:

Prestige is hugely overrated. Obviously there are some no-go universities like London Metropolitan, but when you're studying an arts subject (or even a science one as god knows science isn't as popular these days so employers will love you wherever you studied) for which there are no specific career paths, the distinctions between top 40 universities are very slight. Unless you plan on becoming an academic or want to take advantage of the old boy network that universities like Oxford and Cambridge provide, go somewhere you'll enjoy and thrive in, not on misguided opinions from a couple of students on a website who read some league tables having not even been to university yet to experience it.

It's far more important to take part in a range of societies and social activities (volunteering, writing for the campus newspaper, being on the committee of a society...), which prospective employers will identify with more and will be more impressed by.
Reply 15
Robin*Hood
Please can all those going who consider themselves non-rah, or even anti-rah, wear a carnation on the first day - I need to find you guys!

lol! I'll sign up for that. But will I have to leave my pashmina at home? :wink: The rah thing is the only thing that worries me about Exeter, so I'm hoping angel flo is right and there are plenty of 'normal' people too!
Reply 16
I personally think the rah thing will be great. We can all meet up, point, and laugh :p: Honestly, though, I'm sure they're people just like us & such.
Evil Muffin
Personally, I don't like York - Exeter has better clubs (not great ones, mind you, but still better), a much more aesthetically pleasing environment to study Keats in/stagger home drunk from, endlessly better sports facilities (we're one of the best universities for sports after all!), beaches, gorgeous countryside and none of the miserable chilly weather of the north!

Exeter might not be as good as York in terms of research ratings for certain subjects, but you won't regret that when you're sitting in the garden of the Impy during the summer sipping pimms/some brand of hardcore Devon ale - I prefer girly drinks myself :redface:

Prestige is hugely overrated. Obviously there are some no-go universities like London Metropolitan, but when you're studying an arts subject (or even a science one as god knows science isn't as popular these days so employers will love you wherever you studied) for which there are no specific career paths, the distinctions between top 40 universities are very slight. Unless you plan on becoming an academic or want to take advantage of the old boy network that universities like Oxford and Cambridge provide, go somewhere you'll enjoy and thrive in, not on misguided opinions from a couple of students on a website who read some league tables having not even been to university yet to experience it.

It's far more important to take part in a range of societies and social activities (volunteering, writing for the campus newspaper, being on the committee of a society...), which prospective employers will identify with more and will be more impressed by.

Thanks for that, you've settled a few things on my mind :smile:
Reply 18
Obscured
So I went to the humanities open day yesterday and I still don't know what I think of Exeter. I really liked the campus and the course. However, it was soooooo quiet yesterday it didn't feel like any students actually go to the university! I did get the impression that it was rather "Rah" and there is not very much diversity; if at all.
So I am no closer to making my mind up. Can anyone help!?

I have to admit the 'rah' aspect put me off too, its a shame I guess, but I couldn't help it. I come from a modest south london background/ school so I've pretty much never met anyone like that. I visited sussex and it was much more down to earth and normal. I liked the campus and location at exeter more so than sussex but I'm not sure if the atmosphere would be for me!
zoea85
I have to admit the 'rah' aspect put me off too, its a shame I guess, but I couldn't help it. I come from a modest south london background/ school so I've pretty much never met anyone like that. I visited sussex and it was much more down to earth and normal. I liked the campus and location at exeter more so than sussex but I'm not sure if the atmosphere would be for me!

I reckon there will be enough down to earth types to cancel out the rahs, who will, in the true nature of their rahness, form their own cliques anyway. Think sitting on the grass amongst 'the emerging spring bulbs' (did anyone else see that sign?), music playing in your ears and a good book in hand... that's the image I am holding onto. The thing that worries me most is the lack of diversity but if it is as bad as i think i'll shall love coming back home to multicultural London all the more. Am I feebly putting a positive spin on things? I don't know to tell the truth, my decision was between Exeter and Cardiff.

Latest

Trending

Trending