The Student Room Group

Work Exp - necessary???

Hi ppl,
I'll be applying for law for 2007 entry and was wondering if work experience if an important aspect of the uni application? And if so, what kind of work experience? For example, for medicine, work exp is a must, otherwise they dont even look at ur application as far as ive heard. I want 2 do law at a good school so dont wanna take any risks...any advice appreciated!
Also, are there any specific extra curricular activities they give preferance to?

Thanks a lot for ur time ppl :smile:
Reply 1
I did not work experience and have offers from warwick, nottingham, UCL, KCL. However, I should have done, and it can only be a plus for your application. These things are taken together with everything so while not having it won't cost you a place, if you do it, it all adds to make you an outstanding overall candidate.
Reply 2
Thanks for your advice Sami C...i agree with u, theres no harm in getting some work experience, i just wanted 2 know whether it was vital or not, and obviously not since uve got offers from gr8 uni's without work exp!...congrats on ur offers! All the best!

Thanks,
Anisha.
Reply 3
I dont think its the most important aspect, but to be honest, do it anyway... its worth t. You may find you'd hate to study law and prevent yourself making a mistake... or you may have a fantastic experience. No harm in doing it :smile:
Reply 4
Its not a part of a uni application, but VITAL to your applications for vac schemes and training contracts, and the earlier you start and the more you do, the better, so go get some soon as possible!! :smile:
Reply 5
If u do send e-mails 2 lots of different firms remeber 2 edit. i admit that when sendin the same e-mail 2 2 solicitors, i forgot 2 change the name of the firm for the second e-mail. needless 2 say, they were not impressed and i got an e-mail telling me so, with a little turn down at the end.
It depends on what you want your degree for. If you want to 'go into law' then you should deffinately get work experience - because it helps you get more experience! you need to get a foot in the door. I didn't have work experience, and got offers (nottingham doesn't stop writing - even AFTER you accept another place), but it's ALWAYS advisable to get experience - lots of it and asap apparently

that reminds me - i must get round to that at some point... *ahem*
I think we all intend to get work experiance, but many of us never do....

There may be a few places still willing to take you over the Easter holidays, but tbh, i think i would start writting letters re; this summer. By doing so you get a better shot at the good places, i.e. chambers, the CPS, big(er) firms.
Reply 8
dont do work experience just for ur personal statement though...i did work exp at a couple of places to see what it was like..and learnt that i NEVER want to be a conveyancing and probate solicitor...or a high street one for that matter....sooooo not-my-thing.....
Reply 9
drifter
dont do work experience just for ur personal statement though...i did work exp at a couple of places to see what it was like..and learnt that i NEVER want to be a conveyancing and probate solicitor...or a high street one for that matter....sooooo not-my-thing.....

Is that not one of the purposes of work experience? On the one hand to discover likes/strengths but also dislikes/weaknesses on the other?

Latest

Trending

Trending