The Student Room Group

Are They Any Mature Students Here? Students Over 28?

Scroll to see replies

Hi I'm 35 doing Access to teacher training next year once kids have settled into school (one stating primary school and one starting comprehensive!!!) So I'll be 36 when I actually start it :eek:
Reply 181
Original post by Lynetteb35
Hi I'm 35 doing Access to teacher training next year once kids have settled into school (one stating primary school and one starting comprehensive!!!) So I'll be 36 when I actually start it :eek:

Hi, I'm 31 and about to embark on an English degree at Southampton Solent. I did the Access to Higher Ed and it was such an incredible experience. They will definitely equip you with the skills needed for university study. It was unfortunate that upon completion I still didn't know what subject I wanted to study so I did an A Level in English. Suffice to say that I am now clear about the path I wish to take. Ultimately I hope to teach English from GCSE onwards.

There has been a lot of procrastinating with regards to my studies, since the Access course but it seems to me that it is now happening at an ideal time as my 4 and a half year old son starts school himself in September.

I wish you the best of luck with your future studies and ultimately your career :smile:
Original post by legalboo
Hi, I'm 31 and about to embark on an English degree at Southampton Solent. I did the Access to Higher Ed and it was such an incredible experience. They will definitely equip you with the skills needed for university study. It was unfortunate that upon completion I still didn't know what subject I wanted to study so I did an A Level in English. Suffice to say that I am now clear about the path I wish to take. Ultimately I hope to teach English from GCSE onwards.

There has been a lot of procrastinating with regards to my studies, since the Access course but it seems to me that it is now happening at an ideal time as my 4 and a half year old son starts school himself in September.

I wish you the best of luck with your future studies and ultimately your career :smile:

Awww thank you. I'm really looking forward to it but know the next year will drag lol. However, I know leaving it until next year is definitely the best decision regards to the kids. My eldest is nearly 11 and my youngest is nearly 4 so they still need their mummy a little longer lol. Once next September comes I can get back to me again.

Good luck to you too and thanks for your reply :smile:
I'm 32 and studying (very slowly) with the OU when I can.
I work up in Scotland in a branch of the civil service that often moves me around so I haven't managed to get many modules done recently but I'm working towards a general science communications degree unless I can get work to fund the post grad version.
Reply 184
Sounds challenging Mountainmetman, your perseverance will be worth it in the end. I have heard good things about the OU science degrees.

Lynette, it sounds like you'll be timing it perfectly. My husband works from home so fortunately for me he was able to look after our son whilst I did the Access to Higher Ed on a part time basis. The fast track A Level on the other hand was a conscientious effort during my son's naps and after his bedtime as it was a distance learning A Level. It certainly yielded an ability to work under pressure lol, so I hope I can transfer that skill to uni. One piece of advice, pick your subjects early as the popular ones like English and Psychology get full very quickly. One thing that you may also find advantageous within this next year could be to find out what the syllabus will be for each of your subjects (provided it's not changed annually) and do some preliminary research. This really helped me, particularly with History and part of English.
Reply 185
Hi, I'm 32 and will be studying Sociology at Staffordshire University. Currently quite worried that I'll be the only mature student on the course.
Sounds challenging Mountainmetman, your perseverance will be worth it in the end. I have heard good things about the OU science degrees.

Lynette, it sounds like you'll be timing it perfectly. My husband works from home so fortunately for me he was able to look after our son whilst I did the Access to Higher Ed on a part time basis. The fast track A Level on the other hand was a conscientious effort during my son's naps and after his bedtime as it was a distance learning A Level. It certainly yielded an ability to work under pressure lol, so I hope I can transfer that skill to uni. One piece of advice, pick your subjects early as the popular ones like English and Psychology get full very quickly. One thing that you may also find advantageous within this next year could be to find out what the syllabus will be for each of your subjects (provided it's not changed annually) and do some preliminary research. This really helped me, particularly with History and part of English.

Thank you for the advice. I've agonised over the decision for the last few months as I really wanted to start this year, but then when I thought about it some more, I realised that next year will be a lot more practical.

Not sure how to find out about the syllabus???? But if I could see what's in store it would definitely help :smile:
Reply 187
I think you've made the right decision Lynette as you will have more time to concentrate on course work (as this is a big part). They may not be forthcoming with an exact syllabus but they will probably be able to give you an idea of the things you'll be studying next year. If you contact the college and ask for someone who deals with the Access course they may be able to offer some kind of vague reading list. With that said, mine were particularly helpful but all colleges are different. It's worth a try anyway.

Tabbycat, we share the same concern. I just want to get the 24th September out the way.
Reply 188
36 and starting optometry degree at bradford this year
I've been panicking so much about the future and where exactly my degree is going to get me (English and History at UU. Start in September). Reading this thread has given me great confidence that there will always be other opportunities for me and it's never too late to achieve what I want to achieve! Though I am just about to turn 21; I am often referred to as a 'mature' student by my work colleagues and friends! Good luck to all of you! Inspirational :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Desire HD
I think you've made the right decision Lynette as you will have more time to concentrate on course work (as this is a big part). They may not be forthcoming with an exact syllabus but they will probably be able to give you an idea of the things you'll be studying next year. If you contact the college and ask for someone who deals with the Access course they may be able to offer some kind of vague reading list. With that said, mine were particularly helpful but all colleges are different. It's worth a try anyway.

Tabbycat, we share the same concern. I just want to get the 24th September out the way.

Thank you I'll give it a try. Have got a list of things to do and find out about but am afraid I'm not doing it til next week when the kids are back at school/nursery and have got a bit of peace lol. Thanks for your advice it's appreciated muchly 😃

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 191
Hey there, I'm 28 and doing the BEd course in Scotland...although the majority of people on my course are young, there is actually a wide mix of people from 19-45. Primary school teaching is definitely one of those courses that uni take life experience into consideration.
So don't be nervous...and I loved my access course!!
I'm 43, took Access to Health Studies years and years ago but returning to study BA Working with children, young people and families. A new chapter and direction after bringing up 4 gorgeous girls, one who passed a 1st with honours in animal Management. I borrowed her Mortar board and thought it suited me!
Well done on your daughter's 1st, educatingsusie. Good luck with your course too x

Lynnette, I really don't envy you having to wait a whole year!! I got my unconditional offers back in December, so it feels like I have been waiting FOREVER!! I can't believe the time is nearly here. Enjoy your time off though :smile:

I think I may have commented on this thread way back, but will just tell you all what I am doing anyway lol.

I am going to Chester University, to study English. I am 32 and have 4 children, and quite a scary thought but my eldest is starting High school next week!!!

Well done to everyone about to start uni x

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-P1000
Original post by brownbee
Hey there, I'm 28 and doing the BEd course in Scotland...although the majority of people on my course are young, there is actually a wide mix of people from 19-45. Primary school teaching is definitely one of those courses that uni take life experience into consideration.
So don't be nervous...and I loved my access course!!

That's good to know as I'm worrying a little about what grades I got at school. I also have NNEB qualification so hoping that goes for me aswell :smile:
Original post by redmel1621
Well done on your daughter's 1st, educatingsusie. Good luck with your course too x

Lynnette, I really don't envy you having to wait a whole year!! I got my unconditional offers back in December, so it feels like I have been waiting FOREVER!! I can't believe the time is nearly here. Enjoy your time off though :smile:

I think I may have commented on this thread way back, but will just tell you all what I am doing anyway lol.

I am going to Chester University, to study English. I am 32 and have 4 children, and quite a scary thought but my eldest is starting High school next week!!!

Well done to everyone about to start uni x

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-P1000

No it's not easy waiting for a year but to ensure I am able to complete the course I really need to.......I don't know how I'm going to manage to wait a whole year as I'm quite impatient hen it comes to waiting for things to happen lol

Good luck :smile:
Original post by Lynetteb35
No it's not easy waiting for a year but to ensure I am able to complete the course I really need to.......I don't know how I'm going to manage to wait a whole year as I'm quite impatient hen it comes to waiting for things to happen lol

Good luck :smile:

Me too lol.

I am quite worried about managing time-wise, as my children are 11yrs, 9yrs, 3yrs and 2yrs... So as you can imagine, the young two particularly, are very demanding. Plus with the added pressure of my eldest starting high school and all the hospital/dental appts that I have in my diary for the eldest 3 children!!

Unfortunately finances have meant that i haven't been able to buy as many set books as I had hoped, so I feel I am falling behind on the reading already, but school is back next week so hopefully a bit of quiet time will enable me to catch up a bit.....
Reply 197
Hey, i'm 29 doing civil and env. engineering at leeds
Original post by redmel1621
Me too lol.

I am quite worried about managing time-wise, as my children are 11yrs, 9yrs, 3yrs and 2yrs... So as you can imagine, the young two particularly, are very demanding. Plus with the added pressure of my eldest starting high school and all the hospital/dental appts that I have in my diary for the eldest 3 children!!

Unfortunately finances have meant that i haven't been able to buy as many set books as I had hoped, so I feel I am falling behind on the reading already, but school is back next week so hopefully a bit of quiet time will enable me to catch up a bit.....

My little girl is 4 in October and is very demanding too!!

One of the things that worries me is finance, so I sympathise with you 100%
Reply 199
Original post by *whatkatiedidnext*
I'm 27 and starting a Law degree at University of Leeds next month (eek!). All of a sudden seems to have come around really quickly though I'm still wrangling with student finance :s-smilie:. Not seen any other 'mature' students heading to Leeds on here and on my departmental open day was literally the only one over 20 and not with my parents. Reality of being odd one out starting to set in. Anyone else feel like this?

hey i'm 29 and going to leeds this sept.. don't worry i'm sure we'll be fine! ru going to the mature students welcome thing on the 10th and 11th?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending