leg press, squats give u weak knees

Do you want the guy to stop growing? :frown:
Original post by Tango189
Do you want the guy to stop growing? :frown:

come at me bro
Reply 65
Original post by nicatre
Hey all

I'm returning to the gym later this summer and wanted to get a well round idea of the kind of routine to be aiming for.

I will have not worked out intensely for about 2 years and previous to that I was a regular of free weights and cadio (mostly running).

I want to get back into it all and wish to be far more focussed than before as I used to make improvements but it was slower and less structured than could be expected.

I was initially thinking of a routine of: Back(deads etc), chest, legs, res, back, chest, legs, rest...

Any input is appreciated :smile:

Are you doing arm work on chest and back day? If so, looks fine but you should go into more detail on what exercises.
Reply 66
Original post by tooosh
Are you doing arm work on chest and back day? If so, looks fine but you should go into more detail on what exercises.

Not sure how my post ended up here...ha.

Yeah I would be, I just wanted to put the large groups for the sake of the list for the moment. I'll come up with a fully detailed one at a later time.
I could probably do with some advice so might as well post..

Should mention that I'm a rower, so my aims include cardio, but looking to include more weights to increase some muscle mass.

Cardio:
2.5km jog/run
Rowing (depends on at what point during the racing season it is, but currently it's 5km gentle pace, followed by 1km race pace)
5-10km cycle (depending on how lazy I'm feeling)

Weights: (this is where I'll need some advice..)
3x5 front squats
3x5 bench press
3x5 vertical row
3x5 leg extensions
3x5 seated leg curls
3x5 bicep curls

Misc:
3x15 sit-ups

There isn't an order to this workout though except that I usually start with purely cardio before going onto weights :redface:

Any advice/constructive criticisms?
Reply 68
Original post by Penguinsaysquack

3x5 front squats
3x5 bench press
3x5 vertical row
3x5 leg extensions
3x5 seated leg curls
3x5 bicep curls

Do you mean this by vertical row?
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidLateral/BBUprightRow.html
If so you need a more back focused exercise in there

You do it all how often? If you go do that all 3 times a week then it's likely over kill and you'd be as well splitting it in half and alternating.

Really you'd likely be better doing a set program rather than making up something yourself. West Side for Skinny Bastards is the only one I know of designed for people who do a fair bit cardio. I'm doing it myself just now but I'm still fairly undecided about it.
Reply 69
I could probably do with some advice so might as well post..

Should mention that I'm a rower, so my aims include cardio, but looking to include more weights to increase some muscle mass.

Cardio:
2.5km jog/run
Rowing (depends on at what point during the racing season it is, but currently it's 5km gentle pace, followed by 1km race pace)
5-10km cycle (depending on how lazy I'm feeling)

Weights: (this is where I'll need some advice..)
3x5 front squats
3x5 bench press
3x5 vertical row
3x5 leg extensions
3x5 seated leg curls
3x5 bicep curls

Misc:
3x15 sit-ups

There isn't an order to this workout though except that I usually start with purely cardio before going onto weights :redface:

Any advice/constructive criticisms?

Do cardio after weights, you're fatigued after doing cardio therefore you are more prone to injury and you're not maximising the use of your energy in your lifts.
Reply 70
At the moment

Tuesday

bench press 3x5
squats 5x5
pull-ups 3x5
btn press 3x5
powercleans 3x3
Facepulls 3x10

Thursday

Trap bar deadlift 1x3-5
Hangcleans 3x3
Seated dumbell press 3x5
Pull-ups 3x5
Front squats 3x3
rows 3x5
lateral raises 3x8

Saturday

strict press 3x5
squats 3x3
pull-ups 3x5
dips or inclines 3x5
powercleans 3x3
lunges 3x5
reverse pec dec 3x10

Going to add in a Sunday session of front squats and grip work...always hungover at the minute though
Original post by BKS
Do you mean this by vertical row?
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidLateral/BBUprightRow.html
If so you need a more back focused exercise in there

You do it all how often? If you go do that all 3 times a week then it's likely over kill and you'd be as well splitting it in half and alternating.

Really you'd likely be better doing a set program rather than making up something yourself. West Side for Skinny Bastards is the only one I know of designed for people who do a fair bit cardio. I'm doing it myself just now but I'm still fairly undecided about it.

Yeah that's what I meant :yep:
Do you have any recommendations for back focussed exercises or should I just go google something? :redface:

I make a point to go 3 times a week, don't always do all the weights but have been trying to so far.

I'll have a rethink then.. probably set it so that one day is purely cardio, one integrated and the final is purely weight based :smile:

I'll also google that workout plan at some point when my internet isn't crashing all the time :yy:
Original post by AMG44
Do cardio after weights, you're fatigued after doing cardio therefore you are more prone to injury and you're not maximising the use of your energy in your lifts.

Cheers, will swap the two around from now on :yep:

So based on you both, I'm thinking of now doing

Cardio day (monday):
4-5km jog/run
2x6km row (5min break inbetween)
15km cycle

Integrated day (wednesday):
3x5 front squats
3x5 upright row
3x5 bench press
3x15 sit-ups
1km jog/run
5km row
5km cycle

Weight day (friday):
3x5 front squats
3x5 upright row
3x5 bench press
3x5 leg extensions
3x5 seated leg curls
3x5 bicep curls
3x5 lat pull downs
3x10 pull ups (to be increased to 3x15 pull ups over time)
3x15 sit-ups
Reply 72
Do you have any recommendations for back focussed exercises or should I just go google something? :redface:

I make a point to go 3 times a week, don't always do all the weights but have been trying to so far.

I'll have a rethink then.. probably set it so that one day is purely cardio, one integrated and the final is purely weight based :smile:

I'll also google that workout plan at some point when my internet isn't crashing all the time :yy:

Cheers, will swap the two around from now on :yep:

So based on you both, I'm thinking of now doing

Cardio day (monday):
4-5km jog/run
15km cycle

3x5 front squats
3x5 upright row
3x5 bench press
3x15 sit-ups
1km jog/run
5km row
5km cycle

Weight day (friday):
3x5 front squats
3x5 upright row
3x5 bench press
3x5 leg extensions
3x5 seated leg curls
3x5 bicep curls
3x5 lat pull downs
3x10 pull ups (to be increased to 3x15 pull ups over time)
3x15 sit-ups

You get very little posterior chain work, except the leg curls. No back squats/deadlifts?
Reply 73

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/BBBentOverRow.html
pretty much the standard back lift

I meant more splitting the weights rather than splitting the weights and cardio. I'd say more:

Cardio day (monday):
4-5km jog/run
15km cycle

upper body:
3x5 lat pull downs or 3x10 pull ups (to be increased to 3x15 pull ups over time)
3x5 bench press
3x5 upright row
3x5 bent over row
3x5 bicep curls
3x15 sit-ups (progress to weighted)

1km jog/run
5km row
5km cycle

Weight day (friday):

lower body:

3x5 front squats
3x5 leg extensions
3x5 seated leg curls
1x5 deadlift

3x5 side bends
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by BKS
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/BBBentOverRow.html
pretty much the standard back lift

I meant more splitting the weights rather than splitting the weights and cardio. I'd say more:

Cardio day (monday):
4-5km jog/run
15km cycle

upper body:
3x5 lat pull downs or 3x10 pull ups (to be increased to 3x15 pull ups over time)
3x5 bench press
3x5 upright row
3x5 bent over row
3x5 bicep curls
3x15 sit-ups (progress to weighted)

1km jog/run
5km row
5km cycle

Weight day (friday):

lower body:

3x5 front squats
3x5 leg extensions
3x5 seated leg curls
1x5 deadlift

3x5 side bends

No.

This is better:

Day 1

Bench Press 5x5
Press 5x10
(Do chins or rows between sets. Do not superset and take time to rest.)
Dumbell Incline 5x10
(Do chins or rows as before. If you did chins do rows and vice versa)
Rear delts or whatever. Don't go crazy.

Day 2

Squat 5x5 (Do deadlifts the next time you do this session)
Paused Squat or Front Squat 3x5
SLDL 5x10
Good Morning 3-5x10
Situps to taste.

Alternate the two days and try to do 2-5 days weights per week. You won't overtrain because you're a noob and are physically incapable of causing enough neurological stress to overtrain.

Do that cardio session 1 day/week but also try to sprint or run hills 2x/week as well. Keep those sessions short (no more than 10-15 mins but work hard for that time).
I'm skinny and new to weight lifting and I have a couple of questions regarding bulking. Usually people recommend doing compound lifts as a beginner but I'm only interested in getting bigger in certain areas eg. my shoulders. So is it ok to do isolation lifts with dumbells for now rather than compound exercises?

I'm getting about 3000 calories per day but is it ok to eat a meal every 3 hours (rather than the usually recommended 2 hours)? Also, how many calories are recommended for a post-workout meal? I'm normally getting about 300kcal.

Thanks for your help.
I don't think it's a good idea to see it as an either/or thing. Most bodybuilders do both kinds of excercises. So for shoulders, they will do shoulder presses as well as lateral raises.
Shoulder press, full range of motion.

Lateral raise, shoulders back and down, lift up slowly, only use your arms. Very, very effective exercise if done correctly.
Reply 78
You will just get fat if you try and bulk on 1-2 isolation exercises. There isn't much of a middle ground here, either you get your shoulders a tiny bit bigger with just shoulder isolation or you get really big all over with a proper routine.
Original post by tooosh
You will just get fat if you try and bulk on 1-2 isolation exercises. There isn't much of a middle ground here, either you get your shoulders a tiny bit bigger with just shoulder isolation or you get really big all over with a proper routine.

What I mean to say is that I'd probably concentrate on doing shoulder exercises like shoulder presses and lateral raises say on mondays, and then chest exercises eg. bench press on wednesdays, and then biceps + triceps on fridays. I wouldn't be doing compound exercises like deadlifts, pull ups etc. so would this mean I wouldn't build much muscle and just get fat?

Quick Reply

Latest