The Student Room Group

iGCSE EDEXCEL PHYSICS DISCUSSION 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Original post by Coco406
Makes sense, but it was a 3 mark question, and we had already stated the equation for the question above
I just don't understand why you would get 3 marks for 78x10

1 mark for rearranging the right equation
1 mark for the calculation
1 mark for the correct answer
Reply 321
Original post by AM.95
1 mark for rearranging the right equation
1 mark for the calculation
1 mark for the correct answer

That's really generous though, apart from the coin question, all of the other calculations were only two marks?
Reply 322
did anyone else notice that one of the questions was state the energy transferred equation thing and it had it on the formula sheet?
Reply 323
:O
I think i got the LDR question wrong
I said resistance increases with light intensity
I referenced to street lamps and how they have a high resistance in daytime and low resistance in night time to allow current to pass through the circuit to turn the light on...
Ooopss........
How many marks is that question? Will I lose too many marks?
Reply 324
Original post by g_l
I referenced to street lamps and how they have a high resistance in daytime and low resistance in night time to allow current to pass through the circuit to turn the light on...
Ooopss........

3 marks
Reply 325
Original post by lkj27
did anyone else notice that one of the questions was state the energy transferred equation thing and it had it on the formula sheet?

YES! Haha I loled in the exam room :tongue:
Reply 326
I'm now 100% convinced that 780J is right, so just want to apologise to anyone who got 0.009J and I said it was right, and also to everyone who got 780J- think you're correct :smile:
Reply 327
I'm now extremely nervous over this paper. :/ I'm not sure how I did, think I got the LED being more efficient or something over a filament lamp wrong. I wrote about it losing less energy as heat, or something like that. Is this correct?
Reply 328
I put the efficiency of a filament lamp is hugely decreased due to the high current flowing through the filament which causes the filament to heat up leading to energy losses, whereas in an LED less heat is lost and more is emitted as light leading to greater efficiency.

Btw the way i remember the LDR thing is LIGHT DECREASES RESISTANCE

http://physicsnet.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/LDR-graph.jpg

That was the graph i used
(edited 11 years ago)
can anyone put an unoffical ms up?
so far think ive got nearly everything right :P
also, can anyone got the paper from their centre?
Original post by Coco406
I'm now 100% convinced that 780J is right, so just want to apologise to anyone who got 0.009J and I said it was right, and also to everyone who got 780J- think you're correct :smile:

What formula did you use for that question? :s-smilie:

I used power= energy transferred/time.. did i read the question wrong? >.<
Reply 331
Original post by ak2109
I'm now extremely nervous over this paper. :/ I'm not sure how I did, think I got the LED being more efficient or something over a filament lamp wrong. I wrote about it losing less energy as heat, or something like that. Is this correct?

yes thats right :smile:!
Reply 332
Original post by SupremeNunchucks
What formula did you use for that question? :s-smilie:

I used power= energy transferred/time.. did i read the question wrong? >.<

Yeah I used that equation :smile: But I forgot the relationship between watts and joules... I thought it meant 78W were generated on a windy DAY- as in 78W in 24hours, which just cannot be true :frown:

Did you get 780J? If so, I think you're correct :smile:
Original post by g_l
Ooopss........

I'm not sure how lenient, but they might give you one for mentioning resistance or error carried forward etc. if your graph was good they might give you one. I mean markschemes can be quite generous so keep hope :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 334
Original post by Graceyfave
I'm not sure how lenient, but they might give you one for mentioning resistance or error carried forward etc. if your graph was good they might give you one. I mean markschemes can be quite generous so keep hope :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Hey thanks :smile:
DID ANYONE NOTICE THAT THE CAR WAS HEAVIER THAN THE AEROPLANE LOLOLOL
Reply 335
I think I got 100 in this paper (roughly) Thing is I found last Summer's paper easier, and the A* was 136/180. Do you think it will be similar this year, or a lot higher?
Reply 336
Original post by Coco406
I think I got 100 in this paper (roughly) Thing is I found last Summer's paper easier, and the A* was 136/180. Do you think it will be similar this year, or a lot higher?

SAME i think i got a similar mark to yourse
Hmmm Depends because:
physics boundaries are usually lower than other sciences
depends on how well everyone else does...in this exam and next wednesday's exam... (for triples)
The layout is different so people may have gotten different marks?
Original post by Relaxedexams
IR - Skin burns
UV - damage to surface cells and blindness

I chose UV but it might equally have been IR.

There will prolly be only one answer, not 2 :P

EDIT
"Snow blindness or photokeratitis, a type of temporary eye damage caused by snow reflecting UV light" - From Wikipedia

wasnt it sun burns
Reply 338
Original post by g_l
Hey thanks :smile:
DID ANYONE NOTICE THAT THE CAR WAS HEAVIER THAN THE AEROPLANE LOLOLOL

It was a glider wasn't it? Which are supposed to be lighter anyway...?
Original post by thextractor007
wasnt it sun burns

Yah! That solves it! Thanks... it's UV then! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending