The Student Room Group

AQA Physics A - PHYA5 (18/06/12) - Exam thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by number23
under charles' low it should be V s proportional to T (not P)

Yes, now that is a mistake. I apologise.
Reply 381
in old questions, they would give us the mass of a nucleus and ask us to work out the energy right? i mean they wont ask us something in this form right? cos i dont know the mass of the nucleus :L much appreciated

The iron isotope 56
26 Fe has a very high binding energy per nucleon.
Calculate its value in MeV.
Updated version (there was a mistake with Charles' law). Sorry :s-smilie:
Original post by Augmented hippo
Okay absolute magnitude ranks stars based on how bright they would appear from 10 parsecs away. It's a funny scale as going down by 5 on the scale means a star is 100 times brighter. If you know how bright a star is from 10 parsecs (it's absolute magnitude) compared to how bright it appears from earth
(apparent magnitude) you can work out how far away it is. The formula is derived using inverse square rule but you don't really need to know that. The formula is m-M=5log(d/10) where m is apparent magnitude, M is absolute magnitude and d is distance in parsecs. You can rearrange the formula so if you know m and M you can work out the distance to a star. Hope this helps but I think the best way to get to grips with it is by doing a few questions.

Cheeers dude, but whats with the minus numbers in magnitudes? :s-smilie: (i.e, you get -2 as a magnitude)

and you said that going down by 5 (i.e from 8 to 3) makes a star brighter by 100times, so how many times would a star be brighter if it went down by say for example by 1, or 10? - if it went down by 10, would it be 200 times (2*100)?
Original post by FrightBright
Well it says the useful power out put is 300 watts...

That means that it generated more energy, so you x by 10.

As for 0.238 bit even I dont really know :biggrin:, I've done no chemistry, all I know is that the nucleon number is 238, so you divide that by 1000 to get it to kg... I think it's relative mass or something.

So, that would work for any other element as well?
Thanks.
Original post by leeandrewarmstrong
Updated version (there was a mistake with Charles' law). Sorry :s-smilie:

Thanks! looks really helpful :smile:

If you're doing medical do have any notes for that? :P
Original post by soldiersixteen
So, that would work for any other element as well?
Thanks.

Pretty confident. Only trick I see is Oxygen is 02 so it's 32, otherwise it's never failed me.
Reply 387
Original post by don'tTRIP.
I reckon the 6-marker will be on Hertz's discovery of radio waves :dice:

You may well be right, electron microscopes, photoelectric effect, wave/particle duality or a em wave question which could be about Hertz's discovery of radio waves.
Original post by helpme12345
Thanks! looks really helpful :smile:

If you're doing medical do have any notes for that? :P

Sorry, i'm an astro guy haha :smile:
Original post by Red Richie
Cheeers dude, but whats with the minus numbers in magnitudes? :s-smilie: (i.e, you get -2 as a magnitude)

and you said that going down by 5 (i.e from 8 to 3) makes a star brighter by 100times, so how many times would a star be brighter if it went down by say for example by 1, or 10? - if it went down by 10, would it be 200 times (2*100)?

Okay, when they first sorted out this system they said Vega, a star, is going to have an apparent magnitude of 0. Therefore any source of light that appears brighter than Vega from earth will have a negative apparent magnitude. Also, absolute magnitudes can be less than 0. If you were ten parsecs from a light source and it appeared brighter than Vega appears from earth it would have a negative absolute magnitude.

Because going up 5 in the scale means 100 times dimmer going up one in the scale means the star is 100^(1/5) time dimmer. Going down ten in the scale would mean the light source is 100^2 times brighter. Say you move by amount x up or down the scale that will mean the star is 100^(x/5) times brighter/dimmer depending on if you move up or down the scale.
Reply 390
Original post by Augmented hippo
Okay absolute magnitude ranks stars based on how bright they would appear from 10 parsecs away. It's a funny scale as going down by 5 on the scale means a star is 100 times brighter. If you know how bright a star is from 10 parsecs (it's absolute magnitude) compared to how bright it appears from earth
(apparent magnitude) you can work out how far away it is. The formula is derived using inverse square rule but you don't really need to know that. The formula is m-M=5log(d/10) where m is apparent magnitude, M is absolute magnitude and d is distance in parsecs. You can rearrange the formula so if you know m and M you can work out the distance to a star. Hope this helps but I think the best way to get to grips with it is by doing a few questions.

In June 10 paper,
They ask us to prove the difference of brightness is nearly 8000 times if the difference of absolute magnitude is 9.8

The marking scheme said is 2.5^9.8 = 8000
How about if I use 100^9.8/5 = 8300Which will give a more accurate ans,
Will the examiner know this and accept my alternative method.
Reply 391
They mention the formula on page 218 of the nelson thorne's book

I've attached the question I tried to do, the first formula (in the formula book) didn't work, and the solution said to use the other formula but I don't know why :s-smilie:

Also I don't think it's old spec because the equation is in the book

Okay, i have done it one way not using that equation and got 9.3x10-14 :/ not sure that's right, what was the answer??
Original post by don'tTRIP.
I reckon the 6-marker will be on Hertz's discovery of radio waves :dice:

thanks, so what points would get us the marks:

set up inclues transmitter and detector loop

a high voltage is connected to the trnsmitter

this causes sparks to jump across terminals

radio waves were produced and detcted by the detctor

because radio waves are transverse, the detctor should be adjusted at correct angle due to polarisation

does anyone want to go over plans for possible 6 markers in turning points?
Reply 393
Do we need to derive the pressure of an ideal gas?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
is the formula for the kinetic energy of a gas molecule 1.5RT/Na
or 1.5nRT ???:confused:
only the first one is in the formula booklet but I saw the second one used as a solution in a question...

can someone please explain when you'd use either formula?

It's 3RT/2Na, (i.e. 1.5(RT/Na) and should be on the formula sheet....page 3, 3rd line from bottom, right column :smile:
Original post by Laurence94
It's 3RT/2Na, (i.e. 1.5(RT/Na) and should be on the formula sheet....page 3, 3rd line from bottom, right column :smile:

Hey,

I meant the other formula, isn't on the formula sheet
KE = 1.5nRT where n=mols

it's on pg 218 of the textbook

Do you have any idea when to use each formula? :smile:
Original post by leeandrewarmstrong
Sorry, i'm an astro guy haha :smile:

haha ok, well thanks anyway for the other notes :smile:
Original post by number23
thanks, so what points would get us the marks:

set up inclues transmitter and detector loop

a high voltage is connected to the trnsmitter

this causes sparks to jump across terminals

radio waves were produced and detcted by the detctor

because radio waves are transverse, the detctor should be adjusted at correct angle due to polarisation

does anyone want to go over plans for possible 6 markers in turning points?

sure
photoelectric effect:

classical wave theory predicted energy proportional to intensity over enough time all electrons would leave metal

disproved by photelectric effect where emissions occured over certain frequency and instantaneously with range of KE

einstein explained it by saying light consisted of dicrete energy wave packets of enrgy=hf which interact with one electron at a time

the minimum frequency is such that hf=work function (minimum energy for photelectron to be released, depends on metal)

stopping potential:

make cathode increasingly positive so electrons have to do more work to get away from it

so maximum kinetic energy is reduced by eV and given by KE=hf-workfunction-eV

stopping potential is the voltage required to reduce KE to 0

rearrange: eVs=hfworkfunctioneV_s=hf-work function

stopping potential ranges with frequency

the stopping potential for different frequencied of light can be measured using photocell(collects light) ammeter potential divider voltmeter and cell. when stopping potential is reached, current is 0

Original post by soldiersixteen
sure

i reckon there will be a six marker on wave particle duality, ive done a plan for photoelectricity above :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending