The Student Room Group

Shoplifting...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
When I was 18 I went into ASDA late at night, thinking it was still 24 hour service for alcohol; it wasn't. So I stashed 2 big bottles of cobra up my coat and walked out but when I tried getting them out when we got outside I dropped them both on the floor haha. Karma or something.
Being in Borders (Book shop) when i was 7 and was reading some a pokemon card collectors book and the shop said it was closing so forgetting i had the book in my hand i ran outside to go meet my mum and there it was still with me. Mum noticed and went insane saying how it was disgraceful and i started crying and we went back and paid for it.

On the plus side i managed to get the collectors book when i should have been in trouble :P
Original post by The Entity
anyone got any shoplifting stories?

ever done it, if so, what?

When I was about 4 and living in LA (because my dad got a job thre and so we moved and its still my second home) I took a bottle of mustard and just dumped it in the pram (I was about to say stroller).

I didnt mean to steal it..... You know how kids are when they just randmoly: touch,dump and pick up things....

I remember the *******ing my mother gave me and I was soooo upset and thought I will never steal something again..... :biggrin:

I have another story that happened recently where my mother saw our (British-pakistani-muslim) neighbourgh in Asda and he was checking the change he got back and discovered that the person at the till gave him 5 pounds extra.... So he went back and gave it to the till-person and everyone was commenting on how he did a good deed.

P.S. I know race or religion is not releavnt in this topic; but I thought I'd share it as there always seems to be discrimination on TSR.....

:rolleyes:
Reply 63
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
I haven't stolen a thing in my life(Other than cakes/bacon butties every day from the old school refectory) but I can understand why people would be proud of getting free stuff and not getting caught.

It's obviously wrong, but at the end of the day, do most people pay for stuff because it's wrong, or because they don't want to get caught?

mind = blown

I would like to think that people pay for stuff because it would be totally wrong and deceptive not to. Coming from a entrepeneurial business (would probably help if I could spell it), I know the effects of stealing upon the business and thus the profit at the end. Most of these shoplifters probably think that "one won't effect their business" but look how many of them there are!! What they fail to realise is that the person at the top of the tree who lives off the profit actually has bills to pay and most probably a family to provide for.
Original post by tsveta
I would like to think that people pay for stuff because it would be totally wrong and deceptive not to. Coming from a entrepeneurial business (would probably help if I could spell it), I know the effects of stealing upon the business and thus the profit at the end. Most of these shoplifters probably think that "one won't effect their business" but look how many of them there are!! What they fail to realise is that the person at the top of the tree who lives off the profit actually has bills to pay and most probably a family to provide for.

Exactly and I agree that it's wrong and immoral. Thankfully I have a good job and am quite skinflitted so if I want to buy something, I can afford to now and then.

In saying that do you think the ordinary consumer avoids shoplifting because it's immoral or do you think they would do it if they thought they wouldn 't get caught?
Reply 65
Original post by johnharris19944
Being in Borders (Book shop) when i was 7 and was reading some a pokemon card collectors book and the shop said it was closing so forgetting i had the book in my hand i ran outside to go meet my mum and there it was still with me. Mum noticed and went insane saying how it was disgraceful and i started crying and we went back and paid for it.

On the plus side i managed to get the collectors book when i should have been in trouble :P

In Borders, the staff were surprised when people offered to pay for things.
Reply 66
Exactly and I agree that it's wrong and immoral. Thankfully I have a good job and am quite skinflitted so if I want to buy something, I can afford to now and then.

In saying that do you think the ordinary consumer avoids shoplifting because it's immoral or do you think they would do it if they thought they wouldn 't get caught?

To be honest I really don't know I think it's a really difficult question. On the whole I think most of the people I know avoid shoplifting because it's immoral, but then again I'm not friends with yobs.
Original post by tsveta
To be honest I really don't know I think it's a really difficult question. On the whole I think most of the people I know avoid shoplifting because it's immoral, but then again I'm not friends with yobs.

Ah but these "yobs" you speak of, are they simply rational consumers who don't think they'll get caught?

(By the way I work in a shop, so I'm basically playing devil's advocate.)
i once put a pot of paint from Games workshop in my pocket and walked out the store,

then felt so guilty i went back and paid for it
Original post by zara55
In Borders, the staff were surprised when people offered to pay for things.

Ah god i felt awful i can still remember it, i used to freak out when shops said they were closing as i would think i'd get stuck in for the night as they locked up. Its the right thing to do though going back if you have accidentally taken something i know id be wracked with guilt if i took it.
Reply 70
lol, k.

Many 4 packs of lager from local college off licenses. (on my own, but with mates lingering near by)

sennheiser headphones from currys when drunk. (wouldnt have done such a big store if sober, this was on my own)

loads of pokemon cards from toys r us when 11. (me and my mates)

tbh most of my shoplifting stories come from grabbing cans of lager and legging it out of the shop. probably done this about 50 times. lol.

Haha. Not funny.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 71
I used to take the freebies from magazines when I was about 12! So ashamed >.<
Shoplifting from an independent shop is pretty bad. But places like Tesco are fair game they make enough money anyway so if im skint I feel no shame in getting my lunch for free. If I can fford it I just pay for it though.
Reply 73
Ah but these "yobs" you speak of, are they simply rational consumers who don't think they'll get caught?

(By the way I work in a shop, so I'm basically playing devil's advocate.)

Yeah I think so, maybe, I don't know. It really depends on a person's morals, and I think that no matter how much you know a person you can never really, truly percept their morals. Mneh.
Reply 74
Original post by Converse Rocker
You didn't get negged for answering a question, you got negged for being a thief.

Thought that would be fairly obvious.

i didnt ask about negging or whatever you call it
Reply 75
anyway class stories in this thread!

keep them coming.
Reply 76
Original post by RobertWhite
Haha. Not funny. ****ing chav.

calm down.

thems the breaks.
Reply 77
lol, k.

Many 4 packs of lager from local college off licenses. (on my own, but with mates lingering near by)

sennheiser headphones from currys when drunk. (wouldnt have done such a big store if sober, this was on my own)

loads of pokemon cards from toys r us when 11. (me and my mates)

tbh most of my shoplifting stories come from grabbing cans of lager and legging it out of the shop. probably done this about 50 times. lol.

to elaborate more on that headphones shoplift.

it was class, propa solid snake esque.

waited for 2 staff to go to the back, and with no one looking slipped in my pocket.

and walked out.

it was classly done, very smart. no smash and grab, but solid snake esque.

think it got faulty after about 7 months lol. karma?
Reply 78
the only thing i've stolen was a small can of coke, on a ryanair airplane.. somewhere over the north sea at about 37,000 feet in the air..
When you go to the supermarket and eat/'try' some crutons from the salad bar !!! :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest