The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by Arva
Thanks, not that hard though. I found that C4 put everything so far into perspective, and after a couple of in-class past papers everything just seemed to click and I started understanding every question that a paper threw at me (not that I got them all right of course).
That's the thing with Maths - over the course of two papers everything can just fall together and you jump from a C to 100%. As soon as you understand the premises behind it it all becomes easy (at this level, worried about C4 and especially FP1-3 next year!)

:dontknow:

bless :colondollar: how modest, if you're doing that well percentage wise, then wow!
grr i hate C4, i find it so hard, most probably because i was ill for all the integration teaching :s-smilie:
Original post by otrivine
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/January%202009/6665_01_que_20090115.pdf

hi can someone please help me for question 6)b)ii i did first part then second part do i need to rearrange so i can replace the sin3x?

I attached my workings if you need it.
Yes, you need to rearrange it so you can substitute sin3theta in.
Reply 982
Original post by YingYang
Can anyone tell me some hard questions in the past papers/soloman papers? Pleaseeeeeee

y = arccosx

Express arcsinx in terms of y.
Reply 983
Hi guys, can some one help me on the Jan 2006 paper. I don't understand question 6 part ci) and cii). What do they mean by the " minimum value". Help would be much appreciated :biggrin:
Reply 984
Original post by otrivine
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/January%202009/6665_01_que_20090115.pdf

hi can someone please help me for question 6)b)ii i did first part then second part do i need to rearrange so i can replace the sin3x?

3 sin x 4 sin^3x = Sin(3x)

Double that^ and compare it to what they want you to solve
Reply 985
Original post by King_Arthur
it's done in FP3 not needed for C3 as far as i know

but then how would i work this out???
3.png
i started by re-arranging to get y= ... :confused:
Original post by King_Arthur
it's done in FP3 not needed for C3 as far as i know

Original post by wam-bam
waht's the differential of cos-1 ??

as in arccos :eek:

Actually I think I have seen them ask the derivatives of inverse functions before, you may just not have noticed it.

They usually give it like x = cos y (as you can see from this y = arccos x)

Find dy/dx in terms of x (or sometimes in terms of y)
Reply 987
Original post by wam-bam
bless :colondollar: how modest, if you're doing that well percentage wise, then wow!
grr i hate C4, i find it so hard, most probably because i was ill for all the integration teaching :s-smilie:

Thanks again, if there's no sarcasm there. :biggrin:
It's a lot harder than C3 - the questions are much more varied.
Come tomorrow, we'll all be revising C4 so if you get stuck with anything just quote me in and I'll try my best to help (though I may not be as reliable in the next module). It sucks to miss that much, I'll help where I can.
Original post by Arva
I've only done the ones from jan 2012 backwards to jan 2010, but I'm now about half-way through june 2006. I skipped to this one because it had the lowest boundaries of any since the new spec was brought out, meaning it should be the hardest. If I can 100% this one I'll take it easy for the rest of the evening.
Never done a Solomon paper.
Which ones have you done?

I've done all the past papers so 2005, I found the 2006 ones and January 2009 the hardest, but that's just me personally.
I haven't done solomon either
Original post by wam-bam
3.png

The same way you would do x=cos2y the constant π doesn't change anything for the differential

so do dx/dy = ... etc etc
Reply 990
Original post by wam-bam
3.png

Don't rearrange to get y=...
Just work out dx/dy and then put one over the derivative to get dy/dx in terms of y. Happy deriving! :cool:
Original post by wam-bam
3.png

Use implicit differentiation or find dx/dy and do 1 over the whole equation since
dy/dx = 1/dx/dy
Reply 992
Original post by Arva
Thanks again, if there's no sarcasm there. :biggrin:
It's a lot harder than C3 - the questions are much more varied.
Come tomorrow, we'll all be revising C4 so if you get stuck with anything just quote me in and I'll try my best to help (though I may not be as reliable in the next module). It sucks to miss that much, I'll help where I can.

whoa no sarcasm, i'm tres impresses, i've got biology unit 4 on friday so my C4 revision will start at 12 on friday :/ oh and chem and bio next week as well, thanks for the offer to help, much appreciated :smile:
Original post by gadzoinks
I attached my workings if you need it.
Yes, you need to rearrange it so you can substitute sin3theta in.

thank you :wink: and one last thing on that question paper in a different question we are asked to find the range how did they get the f(x)>1?
Reply 994
ok guys, ive finished reving, going to watch a film then get up....

good luck everybody hopw the aqa exam lords are good to us!
good luck! :smile:
Reply 995
Well I'm done with Solomans, gonna go back to Edexcel!
Original post by gadzoinks
Sit down, do a practice paper. Take it seriously.
Go on exam solutions and listen to the explanations of the problems you got wrong or had trouble understanding.
Go over the concepts you still struggle with.
Then, get a good nights sleep C: 30 mins before you go to bed, listen to some music, watch a video - do something that isn't studying.

Its not the quantity of which you study, its the quality of what you learn from doing it.

Also, cheer up. You're doing A level maths C: You're a smart cookie to get this far. You can do it.

Inspiring indeed. Yeah I use exam solutions a lot when I'm not understanding something. Just gonna flick through remaining papers now.
Reply 997
Original post by chill543
ok guys, ive finished reving, going to watch a film then get up....

good luck everybody hopw the aqa exam lords are good to us!
good luck! :smile:

AQA you say? :s-smilie::confused:
Original post by kilua93
Hi guys, can some one help me on the Jan 2006 paper. I don't understand question 6 part ci) and cii). What do they mean by the " minimum value". Help would be much appreciated :biggrin:

i)

The minimum value is the lowest value that can result from that equation.
12 cos x - 4 sin x = Rcos (x + a)
You should have Rcos (x + a) worked out from part a.

The minimum value from a cos graph is -1. So cos (something) = -1

Minimum value = Rcos (x + 1)
Minimum value = R (-1)
Minimum value = -R

ii)

Your asked to find the lowest positive value that the minimum occurs.
Well, the minimum of the cos we know is -1.

-1 = cos (x + a)
Arcos -1 = x +a
180 = x + a
180 - a = x

Hope that helps and isn't too confusing C:
Reply 999
Guys I am seriously freaking out .. I just had a chemistry exam this morning and I was revising for that since last weekend .. I did some c3 papers last week and 2 today.. but I keep getting worried that this paper might be easy and I am wasting my time.. so could someone please tell me which is the trickiest past paper to practice on right now .. which has a slightly different questions to the others as the ones I have done are quite similar... or if you can me anything else I could be doing right now to revise !!

Latest

Trending

Trending