The Student Room Group

Worried I might not make the grades?

Just by looking on this page of topics alone, there are a lot of people in this position. basically:

- I have an A* already in maths, and I am very likely to get an A* in physics. I think I'm going to get a B in further maths though.

- My firm is Durham (A*AA for physics) and my insurance is Lancaster (AAA for physics).

If I get a B in further maths, does that mean I'm done for? How flexible are the offers, and what could I do if I got A*A*B? I am really quite worried about my further maths, which has only started to slide on the last set of modules (which are the hardest). I'm not looking forward to my further maths exams in a few weeks... Truth be told, I'm pretty scared.

Just to hear how you guys are coping would be pretty helpful :biggrin:
Reply 1
Your grades will work out in maths to give you the best possible score i.e. A* and a B becomes and AA grade based on your modules or A* A if your lucky, just remember that your university may still accept you it may not happen very often but it can if it feels that it wants you as a student.
Reply 2
I know I'm definitely not going to make the grades but I'm hoping my other achievements (YASS Courses etc) and excellent interview (I only say this because I received a letter from the professor that interviewed me that he said I was "outstanding" ) will help them make a decision.

Also, applications fell this year and so there may be a few extra places that they might want to fill, you might have a chance.
You're probably talking about FP2, which actually gets fairly easy, but only after a LOT of practice. If your exam board is like mine, you have 3 weeks, which is plenty of time to focus on maths - and don't just do past papers! Get some resources with lots of each type of question and work steadily through those - if you get something wrong, work out where you went wrong, write it down and highlight the question so you can do it again later. Do one past paper every few days, just to check where you stand. After that, you'll be fine.
Reply 4
Hi - I'm OK with FP2, or at least I will be when it comes round. Same with M3, I think. It's just FP3 which I find really hard and to be fair, most of it actually makes no sense to me. If I could have a choice, I wouldn't do that module - I think it was too much too soon for me!

Also, lancaster say that 'alternative grades will be considered, but can't be automatically accepted'. I guess that's a good thing...

So do most unis still consider your offer, or will the system just automatically bin it if you don't get the grades?

Thanks! I know that things are going to turn out OK, no matter what (I already have the maths A*, Extended project, physics will be OK, and even if I don't do so well in FM, I can easily re-apply next year). Thanks.
Original post by jelert
Hi - I'm OK with FP2, or at least I will be when it comes round. Same with M3, I think. It's just FP3 which I find really hard and to be fair, most of it actually makes no sense to me. If I could have a choice, I wouldn't do that module - I think it was too much too soon for me!

Also, lancaster say that 'alternative grades will be considered, but can't be automatically accepted'. I guess that's a good thing...

So do most unis still consider your offer, or will the system just automatically bin it if you don't get the grades?

Thanks! I know that things are going to turn out OK, no matter what (I already have the maths A*, Extended project, physics will be OK, and even if I don't do so well in FM, I can easily re-apply next year). Thanks.

As far as I know, FP3 isn't compulsory in any exam board, so if you've done more than 12 in total it doesn't need to count. Also, remember it's only one-sixth of your overall grade, and so if you've averaged 86 UMS across your other modules, you can get an A overall with scraping a D in FP3.

Go for 100% in FP2 and M3 - if you do this you'll only need 40 UMS (lowest possible E) from FP3 for your A, or even less.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending