The Student Room Group

Applying to Oxford for chemistry

Hi I have received my mocks back for my a levels and I am predicted an A*A*A ( both the a stars in chemistry and maths and the A in further maths) is it worth applying even though most of the people applying have A*A*A* or even A*A*A*A*. As the entry requirements are only A*A*A. But I am worried they might reject me post interview because many people applying have predicted higher.
Reply 1
Original post by student0515
Hi I have received my mocks back for my a levels and I am predicted an A*A*A ( both the a stars in chemistry and maths and the A in further maths) is it worth applying even though most of the people applying have A*A*A* or even A*A*A*A*. As the entry requirements are only A*A*A. But I am worried they might reject me post interview because many people applying have predicted higher.

Definitely worth applying - if you are impressive in your subject the admissions will not mind that you do not go above and beyond the requirements! Many people get let in with the requirements only or very occasionally very slightly lower.
Is it worth applying with A*A*A? You're kidding, right?

It’s well worth applying.

I would say that your best bet is to focus on interview technique by arranging mock interviews and perhaps even tutoring less confident classmates, so as to get practice with thinking out loud and articulating your thoughts clearly. You clearly have what it takes to get an interview, so all you have to do is make sure you don’t mess up the interviews.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 4
Thank you for replying, yes that’s what I am worried about would they reject me post interview as many people apply with higher grades.
But I am still willing to give it a shot
Thank you for replying, yes that’s what I am worried about would they reject me post interview as many people apply with higher grades.

If you’re called to interview then neither your nor other people’s grades will matter anymore. You’ll be given an offer or not based on how you perform at interview.
The entrance requirement is A*A*A with the A*s in science subjects or maths. You are therefore exactly the type of candidate they are looking for.
Worth noting that you and a lot of other people applying will only have predicted grades on your UCAS form, and these might be different from the actual grades obtained. You might get 3 A*s!
Reply 7
Yes I am hopping to get three A* at the end.
Original post by BetaVersion2.9
The entrance requirement is A*A*A with the A*s in science subjects or maths. You are therefore exactly the type of candidate they are looking for.
Worth noting that you and a lot of other people applying will only have predicted grades on your UCAS form, and these might be different from the actual grades obtained. You might get 3 A*s!
Reply 8
But do you guys know any people that have applied with A*A*A and got in?

Assuming you mean achieved grades, yes. Me.

If you mean predicted, no, because I haven’t talked to many Oxford applicants who have actually told me their predicted grades.
Reply 10
Oh okay, that was a stupid question to ask. But thanks anyways for the advice and suggestions. It kinda cleared my mind. Please can you guys drop some super circulars you guys have done.
Thanks a lot you guys :smile:

Yes your grades are more than enough, a friend does e&m w those which I think is more competitive than oxford chem

i understand how you feel
i would do the same: give it a try
we don't know how the admissions team will respond until they see your application :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending