The Student Room Group

Clinical exams work

Does being paid to take part in clinical exams count as work experience? You get paid £40 to be tested on so I was wondering if it was worth it?
Can't hurt, and you might get the chance to talk to medical students after they do their exam (not before!).
Reply 2
Original post by Hippokrates
Does being paid to take part in clinical exams count as work experience? You get paid £40 to be tested on so I was wondering if it was worth it?

If you want £40, then yes. I don't see how it would count as work experience though.
Reply 3
Wouldn't really call it work experience, but its £40, and will give you an idea about what kind of exams you will have to do in the future, so no harm in it.
Unless you're part of the team conducting the clinical research you cannot claim it is work experience...
Just because I can drive a working car doesn't mean I'm a mechanic
Original post by Polymorphing
Unless you're part of the team conducting the clinical research you cannot claim it is work experience...

I think you might be misinterpreting their idea of 'work experience'. Work experience to me would include shadowing a doctor or medical student, because it is getting experience of the working world. Yes, you wouldn't be a medic, but it doesn't mean you can't learn things from the experience.

Go for it.
Reply 6

It's got nothing to do with research. It's just sitting there and letting students carry out clinical skills on you.
Reply 7
Original post by Hippokrates
It's got nothing to do with research. It's just sitting there and letting students carry out clinical skills on you.

Suppose you could observe how they act and behave with you: the patient, and think about what they did well and how it made you feel.

To be honest with you, I wouldn't mention it in your PS as it's not really work experience but it's the sort of thing that you could bring up at interview e.g. "what personal qualities do you think doctors should have?"...then perhaps describe what you experienced there in addition to what you saw during shadowing etc. Really depends on what it's like though, for all I know you might not see anything of any relevance at all. Just see how it goes really.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by MattKneale
I think you might be misinterpreting their idea of 'work experience'. Work experience to me would include shadowing a doctor or medical student, because it is getting experience of the working world. Yes, you wouldn't be a medic, but it doesn't mean you can't learn things from the experience.

Go for it.

I think you might be misinterpreting what i'm saying. Taking part in a clinical trial and getting paid for it work experience IMO (you may gain a limited view). It is a similar idea to the view/role of a patient vs view/role of a doctor. Taking part in the clinical trial actually gives you work experience i.e. a doctor in a hospital may be carrying out that trial alongside his normal duties; how is this managed? etc

OP: As Democracy said, it is probably more of a buffer thing to mention at interview than a core work exp.
I think you might be misinterpreting what i'm saying. Taking part in a clinical trial and getting paid for it work experience IMO (you may gain a limited view). It is a similar idea to the view/role of a patient vs view/role of a doctor. Taking part in the clinical trial actually gives you work experience i.e. a doctor in a hospital may be carrying out that trial alongside his normal duties; how is this managed? etc

OP: As Democracy said, it is probably more of a buffer thing to mention at interview than a core work exp.

This isn't about clinical trials -- this is about clinical exams. It's where you get paid to act as a sick person for medical school OSCE exams. I think it'd be quite beneficial as you will meet medical students who can give you an insight to the course.
Reply 10
Original post by MattKneale
This isn't about clinical trials -- this is about clinical exams. It's where you get paid to act as a sick person for medical school OSCE exams. I think it'd be quite beneficial as you will meet medical students who can give you an insight to the course.

The likelihood of actually talking to any medical students bar giving your name and "no that doesn't hurt" is very unlikely, tbh. The best angle from it is seeing how medical students act, and how the OSCE is, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending