The Student Room Group

English Literature GCSE AQA (poetry) May 24th, Higher tier

Scroll to see replies

Poems can come up even though they've been in past exams to make sure teachers don't teach around the exam. Therefore, be prepared for one to come up that was in a pastpaper.
Reply 181
does anyone have the paper for jan 2011? poetry? i have looked everywhere but cant seem to find it! PLS HELP!
Original post by payal
does anyone have the paper for jan 2011? poetry? i have looked everywhere but cant seem to find it! PLS HELP!

There wasn't an exam for it in January 2011
Reply 183
What do people studying character and voice think will come up?
I think that:
> Ozymandias/Horse Whisperer
> Checking Out Me History/Singh Song

- Will come up. Just a guess and that kid up there said that Ozymandias is very very likely to. I hope so anyways.

Guys, I CANNOT do unseen poetry. I read it, read it again, then read it again and cannot fathom what is going on. It's just words on a page to me. Any tips for me please :s Thanks
Original post by Xx4L3x
What do people studying character and voice think will come up?
I think that:
> Ozymandias/Horse Whisperer
> Checking Out Me History/Singh Song

- Will come up. Just a guess and that kid up there said that Ozymandias is very very likely to. I hope so anyways.

Guys, I CANNOT do unseen poetry. I read it, read it again, then read it again and cannot fathom what is going on. It's just words on a page to me. Any tips for me please :s Thanks

Firstly you should just read it and write down what you think is going on. This will get you marks because you're understanding the poem. Next you need to identify features such as language, structure and rhythm etc. and write about why the poet would put these.

You might find it helpful to look at a YouTube channel called WCSEnglish, he tells you everything that you need to know.
Original post by Dandaman9999
Well it is guaranteed that we won't be asked to compare Flag, The Falling Leaves and The Right Word (for higher tier) so that's all good! If anyone wants to check have a look here: http://store.aqa.org.uk/resourceZone/pdf/english/AQA-ENGLIT-W-TRB-U01TG.PDF
It says which poems will only come up in the Foundation paper and which will only come up in the Higher paper :smile:

I'm really confused with what you mean here. I've had a look at the document...

So basically "Flag" "The Right Word" and "The Falling Leaves" won't be on the higher paper as the MAIN poem, but we can if we wan to choose them poems to compare with. I understand that. But, what I don't understand is... The 3 poems named for higher, why are they named? What does it even mean?

Please, could someone help me out, I'm honestly so confused...
Original post by >Username<

So basically "Flag" "The Right Word" and "The Falling Leaves" won't be on the higher paper as the MAIN poem, but we can if we wan to choose them poems to compare with. I understand that. But, what I don't understand is... The 3 poems named for higher, why are they named? What does it even mean?

They are named because those poems will not come up on foundation. So they MAY come up on the Higher tomorrow

The three poems named for higher may come up but won't come up in the foundation paper (nothing for you to worry about). So just treat them like any of the other poems that may come up.
Original post by bookworm786
How do you know this? Regardless i'll be revising everything - not taking any chances lol

Did you have a look at the document I posted on the first page? It's in that and it's from AQA... But if you want to use these three poems as your comparison poem then go on ahead :smile:
Original post by Dandaman9999
The three poems named for higher may come up but won't come up in the foundation paper (nothing for you to worry about). So just treat them like any of the other poems that may come up.

Thanks. :smile: But in a comparison question, do you think I should use them poems? I feel quite confident with them, well "Flag" anyway.
Thanks. :smile: But in a comparison question, do you think I should use them poems? I feel quite confident with them, well "Flag" anyway.

If you want to use them as comparison poems then that's fine :smile:
Original post by audi_turbo
Firstly you should just read it and write down what you think is going on. This will get you marks because you're understanding the poem. Next you need to identify features such as language, structure and rhythm etc. and write about why the poet would put these.

You might find it helpful to look at a YouTube channel called WCSEnglish, he tells you everything that you need to know.

Don't just whack that straight on to the exam paper.

Plan your answers is the best advice IMO, otherwise you end up thinking of better stuff to write half way through and you lose interest.
Reply 192
For relationships, I have the Specimen Paper poems (Quickdraw, Hour) and June 2011 (The Manhunt,Nettles). Does anyone have any other works that have been on any other specimens/exams from AQA? Thanks :-)
Reply 193
Original post by Xx4L3x
Are you sure???? I might take a risk and just learn Ozymandias and the compare I will compare with it. The Horse Whisperer and Les Grandes Seigneurs. What do you think?

No,No,No.....the best poem to compare ozymandias with is the river god. Both have pride and arrogance in it. Ozymandias-the king is so proud of himself and he thinks he is the best...He is also very arrogant because the inscription shows that this ruler thought he was better than everyone else. In river god..he also thinks he is most powerful and so proud ov himself,,he treats the dying woman like toys. he dont care about human life ..
Hope that helps gee:biggrin::eek::wink:
I'm really worried that The Yellow Palm will come up as I found that one quite hard to annotate :s-smilie:
Original post by snowball1618
I'm really worried that The Yellow Palm will come up as I found that one quite hard to annotate :s-smilie:

i agree. im confident on all the other poems, but the yellow palm just stumps me for some reason :s-smilie: i can't see what it could mean at the end, when the little boy catches the fruit that are 'sweeter than salaams'. anyone got any ideas?
Original post by lolipanda
i agree. im confident on all the other poems, but the yellow palm just stumps me for some reason :s-smilie: i can't see what it could mean at the end, when the little boy catches the fruit that are 'sweeter than salaams'. anyone got any ideas?

Alliteration emphasises positive words (taken from cgp book)
Reply 197
I havent revised for this at all... Do you think its possible to get a C without doing any revision? I understand that I have to compare content, theme, structure, language, form and all that stuff. I just havent revised any of the poems specifically. I intend on making it all up in the exam.
Original post by lolipanda
i can't see what it could mean at the end, when the little boy catches the fruit that are 'sweeter than salaams'. anyone got any ideas?

Salaams means peace (in Arabic, I think, but correct me if I'm wrong) so the poet could be suggesting that the fruit is sweeter than the pacification of war, perhaps as the people - especially a blind beggar boy - are so destitute and so conditioned to having their home and city sullied and ravaged by war that, at this point, they'd rather have the fleeting pleasure of ripe fruit than the false hope of peace in their already fractured lives.

Just a thought :smile:
Reply 199
Original post by Shakz
No,No,No.....the best poem to compare ozymandias with is the river god. Both have pride and arrogance in it. Ozymandias-the king is so proud of himself and he thinks he is the best...He is also very arrogant because the inscription shows that this ruler thought he was better than everyone else. In river god..he also thinks he is most powerful and so proud ov himself,,he treats the dying woman like toys. he dont care about human life ..
Hope that helps gee:biggrin::eek::wink:

No Im comparing it to Horse Whisperer:
Arrogance: His charms and secrets could be interpreted that he has the highest rank
Arrogance in Ozy: The obvious "King of Kings"

Both lose their power and ive written and essay and Ive been able to find loads of similarities.

Are you sure this will come up though ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending