The Student Room Group

English Literature GCSE AQA (poetry) May 24th, Higher tier

Thought I should make an Aqa poetry - CONFLICT questions thread :smile:

What do you think might come up? :smile:

Hope this helps.

Who knows we might all get A*s from sharing each others ideas! :biggrin:

~Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. ~

Scroll to see replies

is this for the exam on thursday? (i'm doing clashes and collisions)
Well it is guaranteed that we won't be asked to compare Flag, The Falling Leaves and The Right Word (for higher tier) so that's all good! If anyone wants to check have a look here: http://store.aqa.org.uk/resourceZone/pdf/english/AQA-ENGLIT-W-TRB-U01TG.PDF
It says which poems will only come up in the Foundation paper and which will only come up in the Higher paper :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Dandaman9999
Well it is guaranteed that we won't be asked to compare Flag, The Falling Leaves and The Right Word (for higher tier) so that's all good! If anyone wants to check have a look here: http://store.aqa.org.uk/resourceZone/pdf/english/AQA-ENGLIT-W-TRB-U01TG.PDF
It says which poems will only come up in the Foundation paper and which will only come up in the Higher paper :smile:

Lol I bet it does just that :biggrin:
Original post by blueray
Lol I bet it does just that :biggrin:

Knowing AQA that's absolutely possible :rolleyes:
Reply 5
Original post by Dandaman9999
Knowing AQA that's absolutely possible :rolleyes:

I mean they asked about curleys wife :colone:
For some reason I got a gut feeling that futility will come up.........
Make a chart of poems going along the top and themes along the side then tick what poems contain what themes. You will find it easier to pick a poem in the exam then that actually links to the poem that they make you do

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by blueray
I mean they asked about curleys wife :colone:

Oh yeah, just got it :tongue: so what poem is your favourite/ most likely to use in the exam for comparison?
Reply 9
Original post by blueray
Thought I should make an Aqa poetry - CONFLICT questions thread :smile:

What do you think might come up? :smile:

Hope this helps.

Who knows we might all get A*s from sharing each others ideas! :biggrin:

~Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. ~

my teacher told us that "Flag", "The Falling Leaves" and "The Right Word" are not going to be named poems in the questions, but you can use them as the comparison poem.

what poems do you love/hate? funnily enough i really like "next to of course god america i" even though apparently it's the hardest lol, i also like "out of the blue", "mametz wood", "the falling leaves", "futility" and "flag" :smile:

"poppies" doesn't quite seem to work for my liking :tongue: but i'm alright with all the poems i guess :smile:
Reply 10
Heeey peeps :smile:

just quickly made this thread so that we can talk about Thursday's exam

Personally I'm doing Character and Voice, lets try and help eachother!

Good Luck! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm going to choose Belfast confetti and poppies as I have done that essay before :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Oh no.. Poetry..
Character and Voice here too :s-smilie:

So yeah tips on what to do would be cool!
Reply 13
Original post by steviep14
Oh no.. Poetry..
Character and Voice here too :s-smilie:

So yeah tips on what to do would be cool!

I'm really dreading it! I hate english... today's exam went okay so that probably means for me this one will go badly lol

I found this to be really good, goes into depth quite well ---
http://getrevising.co.uk/files/documents/aqa_gcse_english_literature_poetry_character_and_voice/Char_Voice%2520Poetry_Rev_Resource.pdf
Reply 14
Original post by Sammy95
my teacher told us that "Flag", "The Falling Leaves" and "The Right Word" are not going to be named poems in the questions, but you can use them as the comparison poem.

what poems do you love/hate? funnily enough i really like "next to of course god america i" even though apparently it's the hardest lol, i also like "out of the blue", "mametz wood", "the falling leaves", "futility" and "flag" :smile:

"poppies" doesn't quite seem to work for my liking :tongue: but i'm alright with all the poems i guess :smile:

I hate Futility !! My favourite would probably be out of the blue :biggrin:
Me too, I'm also doing character and voice.
My teacher said it is important to realise how poets use structure to resemble development in characters in poems, like in Medusa, Horse Whisperer and The Clown Punk. Also in structure rhythms are used to show how the character feels inside and to others during poems, like Give and The Ruined Maid. Basically poetry is just picking out devices used by poets and analysing and comparing how they are used to represent themes or ideas in poems.

What you can do for section B is introduce yourself to a new poem and spend 5 mins noting down what you find in terms of techniques used.

Good luck everyone for the poetry exam :biggrin:
Reply 16
Today went okay for me, Literature is one of my stronger subjects. Though I really enjoy poetry so I'm strangely looking forward to doing the Exam, Character and Voice here too. :colondollar:
I wish I was doing character and voice, my school chose Relationships. It's ok but there's too many lovey dovey poems.
Reply 18
Original post by Starrstruck
I wish I was doing character and voice, my school chose Relationships. It's ok but there's too many lovey dovey poems.

lol...yeh I suppose c and v is probably the best of the bunch...
Reply 19
Close to making the thread myself! I do relationships at it is the most easiest but the most BORING apart from the family relationships like sister maude, By the way does anyone want a mock of comparing sister maude to brothers? I can offer it to anyone but please also share your own knowledge and notes.

Quick Reply