The Student Room Group

The English Literature (LITB3 - 20/06/12) Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by fallenangel
As far as I remember - there were two A03's:

1) Alternative Interpretations - but make sure you evaluate the strength/weakness of each interpretation. For example a feminist reading may be useful with regards to Carter etc

2) Link to the Gothic Genre - this can overlap with A04, but specific mention to the genre will be credited as A03.

Good luck :wink:

Hey!

Thanks for all those lovely notes!

And you're studying medicine? It is great to see a medic who has done A Level English Literature :smile: (Most people who want to study medicine in my school opted for maths/physics).
I'm studying Pastoral Texts - As You Like It, Tess of the D'Urbervilles and the Elements of Pastoral 1300-1800 in the anthology. My plan for revising is taking key points of the pastoral texts -nature, death, time, retreat and return, rural life, realism, religion etc. and doing mind maps of all the quotes and ideas to do with these from each text. If any one has any more key points that I have forgotten please tell me!!
Because I'm doing Tess (yuck) for my part A question (or As you like it if the question is really hideous) I am going more in depth and collecting the key ideas and quotes from the text like Tess as a daughter of nature, realism in Tess, quotes about minor rural characters and things like that.
If anyone else is doing these texts and wants to swap ideas please say!!
Reply 382
Macbeth:
This is just from the Start until Act 2 Scene 3 (not scene 3, though).
Here is a great post on the Porter scene though : http://jwpblog.wordpress.com/2011/12/30/the-porter-provides-humour-but-he-is-far-from-funny/
Macbeth is hidden on the top one as he took up too much room. So he's on his own below.

Macbeth.png
Macbeth 1.png
(edited 11 years ago)
How many quotes is everyone thinking of learning?

[Btw - the resources posted above are amazing - well done.]
Reply 384
Original post by et cetera
How many quotes is everyone thinking of learning?

[Btw - the resources posted above are amazing - well done.]

i'm not going to learn a specific number of quotes, i have just posted up a load of important ones from my texts around my room (e.g. ones that really tie in with the gothic idea, such as "grotesque lavishings" when describing Wuthering Heights). I am going to read all of my texts 2 or 3 times before the exam so that I know them backwards and that the quotes will flow to me in the exam :smile:
Reply 385
Original post by Minniecat
Im studying The Bloody Chamber, Frankenstein and Dr Faustsus. Originally I was thinking about doing BC for section A but now I'm kinda swaying towards Frankenstein. Dr Faustus is far my worst one, it's just not as gothic as the other texts :confused:

SNAAAAP same books!
Reply 386
Can we have a list of gothic themes, symbols and motifs? To help everyone out in revision? I'll start off:

-Women (gender roles)
-Religion (or the lack of it)
-Settings (isolated places, castles etd)
-Knowledge
-The Supernatural
-Traditional values/taboos

etc etc etc I'm kind of lost at the moment cos I've been focusing on my upcoming psychology and sociology exam this next week :s-smilie:
Reply 387
Original post by fxyz
Can we have a list of gothic themes, symbols and motifs? To help everyone out in revision? I'll start off:

-Women (gender roles)
-Religion (or the lack of it)
-Settings (isolated places, castles etd)
-Knowledge
-The Supernatural
-Traditional values/taboos

etc etc etc I'm kind of lost at the moment cos I've been focusing on my upcoming psychology and sociology exam this next week :s-smilie:

I'll continue:
- Incest
- Haunted settings
- Lack of identity
- Pathetic fallacy
- Virgin/whores
Reply 388
Original post by tsveta
I'll continue:
- Incest
- Haunted settings
- Lack of identity
- Pathetic fallacy
- Virgin/whores

Gothic oppositions
-Women/Men
-Religion/Atheism
-Death/Life
-Traditions/Taboo
-Love/Hate
-Humanity/Supernatural
-The past (reverent)/The future
-Good/Evil
-Sin/Morals
-Body/Soul
-Internal/External
-Isolation/Togetherness
-Real/Unreal
-Innocence/Sinister
-Human/Abhuman
-Objectifier/Objectificated
-Power/Weakness
-Heaven/Hell
-Light/Darkness
-Sane/Insane
-Freedom/Captivity

Doppleganger, uncanny coincidents, horror and terror, the sublime, liminal, violence, the dark side of the human mind, the subconscious, sex and sexuality, settings
Reply 389
Original post by fxyz
Gothic oppositions
-Women/Men
-Religion/Atheism
-Death/Life
-Traditions/Taboo
-Love/Hate
-Humanity/Supernatural
-The past (reverent)/The future
-Good/Evil
-Sin/Morals
-Body/Soul
-Internal/External
-Isolation/Togetherness
-Real/Unreal
-Innocence/Sinister
-Human/Abhuman
-Objectifier/Objectificated
-Power/Weakness
-Heaven/Hell
-Light/Darkness
-Sane/Insane
-Freedom/Captivity

Doppleganger, uncanny coincidents, horror and terror, the sublime, liminal, violence, the dark side of the human mind, the subconscious, sex and sexuality, settings

Yeah, binary oppositions is a huge thing in gothic literature. Are you studying TBC, WH or pardoner's tale? want to swap essays/notes?
Reply 390
Original post by tsveta
Yeah, binary oppositions is a huge thing in gothic literature. Are you studying TBC, WH or pardoner's tale? want to swap essays/notes?

Doing TBC, PM me your email and i'll send you what I got. Not very much to be honest, most of my stuff is hand written not v much on the comp
I'm doing The Bloody Chamber, Wuthering Heights and Doctor Faustus, is anyone else doing any of these? If so does anyone have any notes or ideas/revision help/worries etc?
Reply 392
Original post by bumblebee131
I'm doing The Bloody Chamber, Wuthering Heights and Doctor Faustus, is anyone else doing any of these? If so does anyone have any notes or ideas/revision help/worries etc?

I'm doing TBC and WH. I'm up for exchanging notes/essays if you want. X
Reply 393
I've got a few essays for The Bloody Chamber, The White Devil and Paradise Lost from last year if anyone wants them, I got 100% in the AS and A2 exam and 99% in AS and A2 coursework, hit me up if you want them to read.
Reply 394
I am doing Wuthering Heights, The Pardoners Tale and Doctor Faustus. If anything I am not very confident with quoting TPT so if anyone has any tips this would be useful. :biggrin:
Reply 395
Original post by tenib
I am doing Wuthering Heights, The Pardoners Tale and Doctor Faustus. If anything I am not very confident with quoting TPT so if anyone has any tips this would be useful. :biggrin:

in my mock exam i just quoted singular words on the pardoners tale. for example: 'the ambiguous figure of the old man creates a menacing atmosphere when he says he has walked to the "Inde" and neither "lyf" nor "Deeth" will take him'.

I am studying Wuthering Heights as well if you want to share notes/essays. PM me x
I'm doing this exam on the 20th-

Tess of the D'Urbervilles, As You Like It and Pastoral Poetry (post 1945)
Does anyone have any Huckleberry Finn notes as well? :P Would you mind sharing?
Reply 398
How's the revision going for everyone? Has anyone managed to source the questions from the January paper?

Let's hope for a great set of questions! Nothing on unintentional comedy or religion, please. :u:
Reply 399
Okay, I feel so stupid right now but can anyone help me with this.

I was originally told to reference the Gothic throughout section A (one text) and section B (three texts) but have recently had people telling me you only have to mention the Gothic in section B.

Can anyone shed some light for me 'cause different people telling me different things is getting me in a mess! Thanks! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending