The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by cambio wechsel
not on my shoes, babes, they're just fabulous with my labcoat.

Haha, completely unrelated but thought I'd liven the thread up a bit - I was in a club in London about a year ago with my GF and her friends... I went out for a cigarette and smelled someone smoking weed next to me, so I asked for a cheeky toke, smoked too much and headed back into the club... I was sat at a table with my GF and started to feel sick... After about 5 mins I knew I needed to be sick but if I moved, that would be it (I was already quite driunk by this point).

So I tried to stay still, keeping my eyes down, trying not to move when suddenly my GF and her friends want to go to the dancefloor. I can't talk because I know sick would come out, so I was just shaking my head in a "Look, I'm not in a good way" sort of fashion. She was drunk so dragged me up by my hand.

So now I was up, I started feeling the sick coming but could see the exit about 20 yeards away, down 3 steps and past a group of about 20 particularly orange looking girls, tarted up, donning their best. So I thought... I can make it.

Shrugged my GF's hand off, started staggering to the top of the 3 stairs and by this point I was covering my mouth, wretching, but managing to keep it in... Just down the steps and 5 yards more....

Hand over my mouth, I get to the top of the steps and it comes out.... Through my fingers so it squirts down the stairs over some of these girls, who start screaming!

So I quickly walked out the door and down the street where I stayed for half an hour wincing with shame and embarrasment.

Moral - weed before wine.

Edit - To the neg reppers, I don't blame you. I think I deserve a lot for that little tale.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 21
Brand name should only be taken as one aspect for consideration.
The brand name of a university is ultimately derived from it's academic standing, it's history and the quality of student life there. And as such the standing of an institution takes a long time to change, and one shouldn't be influenced by the minute changes to the rank of universities from the likes of league tables. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to be fixated on the university's brand name- because of what that encompasses- history, quality of students and teaching but going too far in the detail is pointless. Who can say whether LSE is better than Imperial or UCL when they offer a different range of courses and have different campus atmospheres? If you want my opinion, I'd say:

1) Oxford, Cambridge
2) LSE, Imperial, UCL, Warwick
3) Durham, Bath, St Andrews, Edinburgh, Bristol, York

Choosing the right city is just as important though, once you have settled on the right course.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by takethyfacehence
Well yeah, we all know that the whole world knows Oxbridge. But none of your friends know any other English uni? How ignorant are they?

I think I've heard of every main Scottish University and even know a little about some of them and have been on an open day to Edinburgh. I come from London.
Good god
Reply 24
Original post by taliman
Since when was attending a certain uni fashionable? What are they teaching you in school?

Lol, I'm just curious what people think, they aren't going around at my school sixth showing us score cards of which one has the most fashionable profile right now!

I don't want to go to a Uni that people just sneer at in a few years' time though and say "oh, such and such Uni is on the way down" as it might affect one's prospects.
Reply 25
Original post by Steezy
Haha, completely unrelated but thought I'd liven the thread up a bit

It didn't liven the thread up, it just made you sound like a ****.
So much idiocy in this thread....
Reply 27
Original post by SoNottingH
Lol, I'm just curious what people think, they aren't going around at my school sixth showing us score cards of which one has the most fashionable profile right now!

I don't want to go to a Uni that people just sneer at in a few years' time though and say "oh, such and such Uni is on the way down" as it might affect one's prospects.

Rep/Fashionability status?

Oxford is on the way down.

So is Durham.

Warwick is relentlessly rising.

Cambridge will have a hard time in future years internationally but its top position in the UK is secure.

Most of the others are much of a muchness, UCL might drift down a little, possible LSE might as well. Suspect out-of-London unis will gradually rise compared to in-London unis.
Original post by Steezy
This thread kinda makes me want to chunder everwhere.

Fixed.
Reply 29
Original post by UsualStudent
Does fashionable mean which has the wealthiest students? I went on an open day to Bristol and that must be the winner for rich kids. Didn't realise there was that many in the country. I wouldnt like to be there and dress badly or look poor.

When I was on the coach to the car park after the Bristol open day, the girl sat in the seat in front of me was going on for a bit to one of her friends/family. I didn't hear most of it, but I do remember her saying

"Well you just wouldn't mix with the people from the lower accommodation, would you?"

All. My. Rage. :mob:

More OT, fashionable is not the right word, a better one would be prestigious.
I'd say Oxford is certainly above Imperial, and arguably above Cambridge (though Cambridge may be better for certain courses, Oxford still has a slightly better repulation). USC is nowhere near them, unless you're looking for party universities, in which case you want to include places like Santa Barbara. I'd put Princeton higher than you did, MIT still top 10 but a few spots lower and I'd preobably put Columbia in there as well.

PS and i'd swap Imperial and LSE for a few Ivy Leagues/UC Berkeley, simply for international recognition. (maybe even the ENA or the Polytechnique)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Donald Duck
I'd say Oxford is certainly above Imperial, and arguably above Cambridge (though Cambridge may be better for certain courses, Oxford still has a slightly better repulation). USC is nowhere near them, unless you're looking for party universities, in which case you want to include places like Santa Barbara. I'd put Princeton higher than you did, MIT still top 10 but a few spots lower and I'd preobably put Columbia in there as well.

PS and i'd swap Imperial and LSE for a few Ivy Leagues/UC Berkeley, simply for international recognition. (maybe even the ENA or the Polytechnique)

Agree about the US unis on the international league, but sorry, sadly it's just a huge delusion at Oxford that they are still holding up. Cambridge is racing ahead on all kinds of fronts. The truth is that now, in the top 10 of the planet, Cambridge is the only real British player. Sorry all you Oxford folks, I'm sure you feel very privileged and up yourselves for being there, but you chose the wrong one. (or couldn't get in the other one, more likely).
LSE is on the way up according to the rankings and Oxford is on the way down (overall and for some of its subjects - like Law) - the weight given to these rankings is, of course, entirely subjective but I can't think why it should not contribute to this thread.

Although I very much distrust the rankings of universities, I'd probably place the top 5 in terms of best ration of national/international opinion as:
1 - Cambridge
2 = Oxford
2 = LSE
4 - St Andrews
5 = Imperial
5 = Warwick
Reply 33
Middlesex is one to look out for; we rose 50 places in the league tables. From 350th uni in Britain to 300th. Look out Cambridge cos After another 6 years who knows where we could be. :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by Fires
It didn't liven the thread up, it just made you sound like a ****.

Yes, in this instance... I was a bit of a ****. Well spotted
Original post by A.J10
When I was on the coach to the car park after the Bristol open day, the girl sat in the seat in front of me was going on for a bit to one of her friends/family. I didn't hear most of it, but I do remember her saying

"Well you just wouldn't mix with the people from the lower accommodation, would you?"

LOL. We were shown round by two second year girls who were like dressed out of a fashion tumblr and sounded like total rahs but i was pretty jealous tbh i would like to have their money.

Is other unis like Bristol too? I heard Exter was like that and UCL.
Those that do fashion courses, I would imagine
Reply 37
Original post by Blutooth
Middlesex is one to look out for; we rose 50 places in the league tables. From 350th uni in Britain to 300th. After another 6 years we're sure to get the top spot. Just you wait and see.

! We will wait. :biggrin:

This is a comical thread but taking it to the literal extreme, in the sense of "most fashionable students", from my own explorations of open days, etc, I would say Bristol, York, Cambridge and Edinburgh all did well.
Reply 38
I was into these Universities before you'd even heard of them.
Reply 39
Original post by UCLEmily
! We will wait. :biggrin:

This is a comical thread but taking it to the literal extreme, in the sense of "most fashionable students", from my own explorations of open days, etc, I would say Bristol, York, Cambridge and Edinburgh all did well.

Though I haven't seen how students are dressed at those universities I will disagree; It's gotta be Oxford :tongue:

Walking down the street like two dons- and not just in the academic sense of the word. :cool:
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending