The Student Room Group

OCR A2 English Literature exam. F663. Othello, Duchess of Malfi and The Pardoner's t

Scroll to see replies

Yoooo, Im doin english at uni, got an A* last year and the only revision i did was write a song with some critical quotes in it to help memorize!
No need to stress, if you know your quotes you can argue any point!..
We recorded it so check it out, it might help.. wouldve posted sooner but forgot all about it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksvbd6JVBBU
Reply 81
Original post by shaunlincoln
Yoooo, Im doin english at uni, got an A* last year and the only revision i did was write a song with some critical quotes in it to help memorize!
No need to stress, if you know your quotes you can argue any point!..
We recorded it so check it out, it might help.. wouldve posted sooner but forgot all about it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksvbd6JVBBU

Hahah aww, the video is so cool :') THANKS!
Anyone got critics for the pardoner & the duchess please?
Reply 83
Original post by zlgvicars
I'm doing Othello, Duchess of Malfi and Paradise Lost.

Paradise Lost is the most ridiculous and stupid poem that I have ever read. How is anyone who is revising Paradise Lost learning quotes if the majority of the poem consists of only a few major things that actually happen?

Plus how is everyone managing to learn so many quotes and what type of quotes are you learning?

I need a B however I could get an A if I got more than 105/120 in the paper, which with 2 exams next week will be unlikely.

Good luck to all.

agreed that paradise lost is so difficult to write an essay on...so little happens! Ive just learned quotes whihc directly compare or contrast with dr faustus which is my other text. Ive mainly found quites from themes of self-pride, denouncing god, evil and unwillingness to repent. hope this helps! x
Maybe a question on Iago and Cassio?
Reply 85
Original post by samsam_
I think you should reference the conventions of a tragedy, especially Shakespearian tragedies, then link it to Othello's fatal flaw

What's his fatal flaw? his jealousy?
Reply 86
Original post by Tsunami2011
Maybe a question on Iago and Cassio?

On both together? How would they ask that?
Original post by NickyJWatkinson
The first and last lines/sentences of each poem are always good, and I've just gone through each poem and found a quotation that sums up the main ideas/themes in the poem, as well as the themes you're studying - are you doing Malfi too? Which poems are you doing? I can send you some of my quotations if we're doing the same poems. :smile:

I'm doing sun rising, the relic, valediction forbidding mourning, canonisation, loves alchemy, woman's constancy, to his mistress going to bed, etc.
But I'll take any good quotes you have! :smile: thanks

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by JEFFERSON
On both together? How would they ask that?

I'm not sure but after re-reading the book today, Iago's ability to manipulate both Cassio and Othello is very intriguing, and I think a question could definitely be asked it.
Original post by Harry.K

Partly, but i think its mainly his trust and the way he believes Iago, never once did he ask Desdemona about it
Reply 90
I'm not sure but after re-reading the book today, Iago's ability to manipulate both Cassio and Othello is very intriguing, and I think a question could definitely be asked it.

Well they did Iago and Roderigo together last year so it's possible. Then again would it be too similar to last year?
Hi... probably no one will reply but i was looking at the past papers of january 2010.. and I saw the question: about dramatic effects and how they showed an agonising sense of inevitability.

Does anyone have any idea how you would approach this question? I tried to look up some model answers but there was one which pretty bland.

:smile:. Thanks for your time... and good luck to everyone for wednesday.
Original post by hannahchan
Hi... probably no one will reply but i was looking at the past papers of january 2010.. and I saw the question: about dramatic effects and how they showed an agonising sense of inevitability.

Does anyone have any idea how you would approach this question? I tried to look up some model answers but there was one which pretty bland.

:smile:. Thanks for your time... and good luck to everyone for wednesday.

I was planning that one today. There're a lot of ways you can do it--you can talk about how, actually, there is a certain improvisatory quality to everything Iago does that means that a lot of what happens isn't actually inevitable and is just down to Iago's own cunning. Or you can suggest that the characters have certain qualities that mean that what happens is inevitable and that Iago is just a sort of catalyst, using his excellent knowledge of others' character to put them into situations that lead to their downfall. You can talk also about race and stereotypes--maybe you think (or maybe a contemporary audience would think) that a marriage between a Moor and Venetian aristcracy would inevitably end in disaster. Maybe it's inevitable for a Moor's base instincts to break through his veneer of Christian respectability. You can maybe wangle in a point about Calvinism and religion--Calvinists thought that everybody's fate was decreed from birth by God, so it was inevitable that you would go to hell or heaven and there was nothing anyone could do to change it. Maybe link that in with Othello's religious language and tendency to self-dramatise but I think that's a bit dodgy.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 93
So underprepared for this and I need an A.

Ah well, may as well go and revise.
Really do not see how Duchess of Malfi and the Pardoner's Tale link? any tips?
Original post by LeSacMagique
I was planning that one today. There're a lot of ways you can do it--you can talk about how, actually, there is a certain improvisatory quality to everything Iago does that means that a lot of what happens isn't actually inevitable and is just down to Iago's own cunning. Or you can suggest that the characters have certain qualities that mean that what happens is inevitable and that Iago is just a sort of catalyst, using his excellent knowledge of others' character to put them into situations that lead to their downfall. You can talk also about race and stereotypes--maybe you think (or maybe a contemporary audience would think) that a marriage between a Moor and Venetian aristcracy would inevitably end in disaster. Maybe it's inevitable for a Moor's base instincts to break through his veneer of Christian respectability. You can maybe wangle in a point about Calvinism and religion--Calvinists thought that everybody's fate was decreed from birth by God, so it was inevitable that you would go to hell or heaven and there was nothing anyone could do to change it. Maybe link that in with Othello's religious language and tendency to self-dramatise but I think that's a bit dodgy.

Oh wow that's really good.. I never thought of that stuff before.. :redface:.

Hmm interesting points.. I was going to include some points about stereotypes of women but I'm not sure if that's really the case. I said that Desdemona is a symbol of stereotypical woman who at the time people percieved to be inferior (got some sheet about how women were percieved in the renaissance era) Therefore it is inevitable that she does die or befalls some pain.. her character portrays that of inferior women and her acceptance of othello's killing shows possible power but also innocence and obligation.. her love for a cruel man.. makes a good target for iago and othello to kill off.. -- but i dunno as bianca still survives.. despite her status.

but about the heaven and hell thing.. yeah I did see Desdemona defiantly stating she was to go to heaven.. :smile: thanks for your help!
Original post by hannahchan
Oh wow that's really good.. I never thought of that stuff before.. :redface:.

Hmm interesting points.. I was going to include some points about stereotypes of women but I'm not sure if that's really the case. I said that Desdemona is a symbol of stereotypical woman who at the time people percieved to be inferior (got some sheet about how women were percieved in the renaissance era) Therefore it is inevitable that she does die or befalls some pain.. her character portrays that of inferior women and her acceptance of othello's killing shows possible power but also innocence and obligation.. her love for a cruel man.. makes a good target for iago and othello to kill off.. -- but i dunno as bianca still survives.. despite her status.

but about the heaven and hell thing.. yeah I did see Desdemona defiantly stating she was to go to heaven.. :smile: thanks for your help!

Nice, I would add the bit where Desdemona doesn't blame Othello for her death n there as well, as it shows that she's a faithful, subservient woman.
I think D goes against the stereotype in some cases though, like when she argues with Iago in act 2 and tells Emilia not to listen to him, and also when she says "I have not deserved this" after being slapped by Othello, which shows that she's quite outspoken. But then you could twist it to fit your line of argument, in that because she is a headstrong woman and doesn't always conform to the stereotype, she is inevitably punished for it through death. Just something for you to think about :biggrin:
Could someone please tell me and Malfi and the -Pardoner's Tale link ?!
Could someone please tell me and Malfi and the -Pardoner's Tale link ?!

Religion
Evil characters
Men in the play
The treatment of old people
Greed (i really want this)
Reply 99
Original post by Harry.K

His fatal flaw could be his pride, as he is too proud to allow his reputation to be taken away from him.
Or it could be jealousy, because his jealousy derives from insecurities which is then exploited by Iago.
You can argue it either way :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending