The Student Room Group

OCR A2 English Literature exam. F663. Othello, Duchess of Malfi and The Pardoner's t

Scroll to see replies

Original post by linney
I think I have a about 50 for Othello, 40 for Malfi and about 20 for Donne. I have virtually no critics for part B but I was under the impression it wasn't as vital as in part A?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Malfi and Donne are part B, so, actually you have about 60?! That's way more than anyone would ever need.
Reply 161
Original post by LeSacMagique
Malfi and Donne are part B, so, actually you have about 60?! That's way more than anyone would ever need.

I mean I have about 60 quotes from the texts. The only critics I have are Dympna Callaghan, Oakes, John Carey and a bit of Stubbs :/

Reply 162
Predictions for othello and section b please
Reply 163
How are people memorising quotes? They don't seem to want to stick in my brain :frown:
Reply 164
Original post by MeGusta
How are people memorising quotes? They don't seem to want to stick in my brain :frown:

mine are all pretty short. things like 'moor' 'old black ram' 'sweet desdemon' 'trifles light as air' etc all count! Don't try and cram lines, short phrases work just as well and are easier to manipulate into essays!

What ever essay I get, I can already tell my essay will be skewed towards The Pardoner's Tale. Only quote I can remember from Duchess of Malfi is He and his brother grow are pear trees that grow crooked' and 'I am Duchess of Malfi still.
Heya!

I got UMS 173/200 in the AS last year (117/120 for the exam and 56/80 for the coursework)

I cant remember what I got for the coursework... Can you calculate it as if I got 50%?

Can anyone work out what I need to get on this exam to get an A?

I'm doing OCR English Literature
Reply 167
would an elizabethan audience actually feel sympathy for Iago? i read somewhere that he was a "base" and so his desire to move up in the rankings would be frowned upon

has anyone got context that would work for a military geared essay?
Reply 168
Does anyone have any comments about the structure of othello?
V. Nervous about this exam!!! :/

Original post by Mezzyp
Does anyone have any comments about the structure of othello?
V. Nervous about this exam!!! :/

Talk about how rapidly the play advances. Othello has no opportunity to seek clarity of gather his thoughts, because of fast the play is moving. This is also key to Iago's plot, as he needs to manipulate Othello to the extent where he is unable to seek clarity. The fast moving nature of the play shows how Othello's military traits come to the forefront, as just like on the battlefield he is swift and abrupt in action.
Original post by BayBee323
would an elizabethan audience actually feel sympathy for Iago? i read somewhere that he was a "base" and so his desire to move up in the rankings would be frowned upon

has anyone got context that would work for a military geared essay?

They definitely wouldn't. In the dramatis personae of the F text (from the 1620s) Iago is subtitled as 'the villain', and he could well have been identified with Satan since he uses quite a lot of diabolical language and it would genuinely be felt that Satan was a constant, omnipresent threat by a contemporary audience. You could also say he's a throw-back to the 'Vice figure' of medieval morality plays too. The idea of an 'attractive Iago' is a pretty modern one.

You could talk about how Cassio being an arithmetician would actually be an increasingly desirable trait in a military leader in the Renaissance since cannon were becoming increasingly important in battle and a good mathematical knowledge was needed to properly hit targets with them.
(edited 11 years ago)
A few people are mentioning the military theme, but i'm not sure I could write an entire essay on that! Any pointers, apart from the time scheme and contrasts between his military status and his social status?
Reply 172
Original post by juliewho
A few people are mentioning the military theme, but i'm not sure I could write an entire essay on that! Any pointers, apart from the time scheme and contrasts between his military status and his social status?

it's what drives the play in terms of structure & the war developments echo that of the domestic ones, its what makes Iago jealous, Cassio because of it becomes a victim, shows a male dominated world, fighting is all Othello knows, his military background is why he is accepted

hope that helps, sorry to be so brief i'm major panicking lol
(edited 11 years ago)
it's what drives the play in terms of structure & the war developments echo that of the domestic ones, its what makes Iago jealous, Cassio because of it becomes a victim, shows a male dominated world, fighting is all Othello knows, his military background is why he is accepted

hope that helps, sorry to be so brief i'm major panicking lol

Don't worry, it actually was quite helpful, repped! Quite a major oversight on my part :s-smilie:
I did this exam in January and gained a C because I had a majorly bad day - I misread both questions so my essays were slightly irrelevant, I had no quotes, didn't write enough, wrote messily - the list goes on! It was almost a B though so it reassures me that I wrote awful essays and nearly got the UMS I need anyway.
I am dying. If I don't meet my offer I will not know what to do...
Reply 175
Original post by LeSacMagique
I am dying. If I don't meet my offer I will not know what to do...

same! i have to get an A to get into both my firm & insurance. i need to get 136/200 and i don't know what i've got in the coursework so i'm trying my best for the exam to be safe
Reply 176
Original post by juliewho
Don't worry, it actually was quite helpful, repped! Quite a major oversight on my part :s-smilie:
I did this exam in January and gained a C because I had a majorly bad day - I misread both questions so my essays were slightly irrelevant, I had no quotes, didn't write enough, wrote messily - the list goes on! It was almost a B though so it reassures me that I wrote awful essays and nearly got the UMS I need anyway.

i think nothing beats knowing the play inside and out. i've majorly crammed for this but knowing exactly what happens makes it easier to tailor your essays. i've done mock without the quotes and context and stuff and got B's so it is really reassuring! good luck x
i think nothing beats knowing the play inside and out. i've majorly crammed for this but knowing exactly what happens makes it easier to tailor your essays. i've done mock without the quotes and context and stuff and got B's so it is really reassuring! good luck x

I struggled a lot more with DoM and my poems in the January exam so I think i've neglected Othello a little. I have a good feeling about tomorrow though. :smile:
With sociology today, i think ima just pull an all nighter.

Urghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Does anyone has a critic quote for either Donne or Malfi I can just memorise and shove in there? I know tons of context, and no critics :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending