The Student Room Group

Is it really foolish of to reject top 10/Russell Group universities?

Scroll to see replies

There seems plenty of good reasons for your choice

The Guardian guide has 63% employment for Exeter English Graduates and 62% for Royal Holloway

Does not seem like a big factor
When I was choosing sixth forms I got offers from the top sixth form in my area and a lower down one(in fact almost the bottom in our area).

After going to look around both, talking to students/teachers etc. it was obvious to me I would be happier at the lower down one. My parents went absolutely nuts but I knew where I would be happy. (I'm a really stubborn person in that if I know what I want for my life, I do it rather than listen to them, however it did annoy me).

2 years later because I was happy and had motivation I left with AAB and am hoping to apply to a good uni.

Go where you will feel happiest- it is YOUR choice.

The comment earlier that it is only 3 years of your life in return for 40 working years is fair but it's also so naive. If you absolutely despise your three years at university, how do you expect to have a positive motivated mind to even stay there and graduate?

University is something people talk about to their kids, their partners and everyone they know in future life. Make sure you have an experience that you are happy and proud to talk about to other people, rather one that will sound good but was really the worst period of your life.
Reply 22
Calmed down. I bet offer from RH is slightly lower than Exeter. So, you won't be so stressed out waiting for the A level results, you like the uni. Exeter is not that much better.

When I went to Warwick, it's not as reputable as now, rankings do change. At least you didn't reject Oxbridge :colone:
Reply 23
Original post by yothi5
I'd say there's quite a big contrast. Exeter is much better than the other 3.

Nonsense. Why is Exeter "much better"?

And yes, I would say Durham would think so at 1st glance. But it depends on your motivation and academic results as well as your passion and ECs and all the rest of the rubbish.....

Again, nonsense. For postgrad, including PGCEs, universities place little to no weight on the university attended. Unlike prestige whores they realise that the university an applicant attended as an undergraduate does not define him or her.

They will, quite rightly, see Exeter, Newcastle, Royal Holloway and Southamptom as broadly comparable 1994/Russell Group universities anyway.

Original post by Desertanium
Thanks all for the insight. But overall, would you say there is a massive contrast between Royal Holloway and Exeter/Southampton/Newcastle? I am hoping to do a PGCE (really have my heart set at Durham!) and do you think Durham would feel I am an 'inferior' candidate in contrast to someone who has a degree from Exeter?

See above. Your academic performance, experience and ability to express why you want to do a PGCE, and demonstrate potential flair for teaching, is far more important that where your degree is from.
My boyfriend rejected Sheffield in favour of Staffordshire because he preferred it as an insurance, it didn't matter what anyone else thought. It's your life and your decision after all!
Reply 25
I had offers from both Cardiff and Warwick, and ended up firming Royal Holloway. I don't think it's foolish - I figured if I prefer Royal Holloway as an institution I'm more likely to do better there and come out with a good degree :smile:
Reply 26
I had the same problem. Lancaster(x2), Manchester, York and UCL. Lancaster, although now doing well, wasn't doing as great at the time. I chose it for all the reasons you just listed. From course structure to clubbing. And honestly, I haven't looked back.

You'll love Royal Holloway.
I don't think for a degree like English it will make a big difference. If it was something like Economics, then yes. For English, don't worry about employment prospects between them. As already shown, Exeter is 63%, Royal Holloway 62%.
Reply 28
I rejected Durham to firm Exeter with RHUL as my backup and it was the hardest choice ever as Durham was my dream, but at the end of the day I knew I'd be happier at Exeter than I would at Stockton which isn't even real Durham. Royal Holloway is still amazing and you'll be spending 3 years of your life there so you have to be happy! The happier you are the better you will succeed after all.
Original post by Desertanium
I have had offers from Exeter, Southampton, Newcastle, Royal Holloway and Kent for English and after ages of contemplation, I had to firm Royal Holloway. It was a VERY tough choice between Exeter and Royal Holloway.

Everyone, including my teachers have said that I am a 'fool' for rejecting Russell Group universities like Exeter, Southampton and Newcastle for RHUL. Exeter is one of the top 10 in the country, while RHUL is #30 ish. For English, Exeter is ranked #7 in the UK while RHUL is in the 30s.

The main reason why I choose RHUL is because I liked the course structure and the combination with Creative Writing. The campus is breathtaking and local area especially Windsor is peaceful and quiet. I am not a huge party-goer or clubbing fan so RHUL seemed the perfect choice for me. It is only a 40-minute train ride away from London.

However, people keep on telling me that I will regret for not firming Exeter when I graduate as there is a vast contrast between Exeter and RHUL and employers might not favour a 'mid-tier' university like RHUL.

I am really, really confused. Have I really made the wrong decision in firming Royal Holloway and am I really going to regret this decision in three years? :frown:

I am going through this tough decision now just going into year 13 as I want to do a joint degree in English and drama and can’t reside out of Royal Holloway or Exeter. Were you happy with your decision? What was Holloway like?
As this was 9 years ago now, how did it all go for you? e.g. getting a job, career routes, etc was it worth going to RHUL over exeter?

Original post by lemoncha
If the only thing that tempted you to choose Exeter instead of Royal Holloway was because overall it's more reputable, then I think you've made the right decision to go to RHUL instead, since you prefer their location, campus, course structure and course reputation.

There may be some truth in the whole overall reputation debate, especially if you're going to find a job in future that's not specifically related to your degree. However, if you want a career that's related to English/Creative Writing (I dunno, journalism?) then your prospective employers would know which unis are best for that particular course. In other words, a degree at RHUL would be much better than Exeter. But tbh I think this issue of reputable uni vs. reputable course only really affects your first job, after that employers tend to look a lot more at what you've done in your first employment rather than where you went to uni, and eventually where you went to uni wouldn't even matter.

Since you've firmed RHUL anyway, there's no point worrying about it now (even before you've started!) It's certainly not disastrous and it seems like you'd enjoy it a lot there =)

Source: Myself, I've had lots of trouble deciding between Nottingham, Warwick or Gap Year + reapply!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending