The Student Room Group

Anyone have experience with a reference being asked where you sit within a cohort?

Not really expecting any replies because this issue is a little complex.

I have applied for Cambridge University to study an MPhil in Sociology. I graduated four years ago with a First-class

My first academic reference was submitted fine, my second one was asked for where I sat within my cohort at my old University (Kingston).

Both my lecturers who acted as references had since left Kingston - so my second referee asked Kingston to provide this information to Cambridge.

I asked Kingston University for an update and they have refused to supply the information.

I understood being from outside a Russell Group uni it would count against me, but what I don't understand is why Kingston have told me they cannot supply it? They've said I can contact their Freedom of Information team but that the request may be denied.

I have said if they do not send the information over, having indebted myself to the tune of £30,000 in tuition fee's to study there - then I will have to contact a solicitor for misselling me my course.

I can take rejection from Cambridge because they don't believe I'm a strong enough candidate, or that they feel my research proposal is weak. What I can't take is Kingston not at least giving me a fighting chance.

It's the first masters course I've applied for and this makes me nervous that if it's asked for again then Kingston will refuse it.

Anyone able to elucidate on this in anyway?
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Craig_93
Not really expecting any replies because this issue is a little complex.

I have applied for Cambridge University to study an MPhil in Sociology. I graduated four years ago with a First-class

My first academic reference was submitted fine, my second one was asked for where I sat within my cohort at my old University (Kingston).

Both my lecturers who acted as references had since left Kingston - so my second referee asked Kingston to provide this information to Cambridge.

I asked Kingston University for an update and they have refused to supply the information.

I understood being from outside a Russell Group uni it would count against me, but what I don't understand is why Kingston have told me they cannot supply it? They've said I can contact their Freedom of Information team but that the request may be denied.

I have said if they do not send the information over, having indebted myself to the tune of £30,000 in tuition fee's to study there - then I will have to contact a solicitor for misselling me my course.

I can take rejection from Cambridge because they don't believe I'm a strong enough candidate, or that they feel my research proposal is weak. What I can't take is Kingston not at least giving me a fighting chance.

It's the first masters course I've applied for and this makes me nervous that if it's asked for again then Kingston will refuse it.

Anyone able to elucidate on this in anyway?

This is a pretty common question to be asked as part of a reference, particularly with a "banding" approach, e.g. top 10% of cohort etc. It is the kind of thing that universities typically don’t release directly to students however (particularly during the course) as it can be quite contentious and divisive, e.g. “you are in the top 20% but they are in the bottom 50% kind of conversations”.

At my institution the “raw” number is on the transcript, e.g. 21/250 and available to tutors, I expect Kingston does have that info, but may have some internal rules about its use. It’s not just “yours” as it also gives context relative to other people’s performance. I would be surprised however if they could not use it university to university, have you asked about that route rather than giving you the raw number ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending