MEI M1 exam discussion - Friday 1st June

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xiyangliu
truck is 5900N
locomotive is 100300N

i got taht

I didnt get that for my tensions but knowing me I went wrong somewhere
Original post by Stephybob
Well thinking about it, being a joint honours student I'd miss out on half of the Music course which I'd HATE as I'd miss loads of really interesting stuff. So I suppose while I'm capable of doing Maths and it would probably earn me more money, I have a passion for Music and could do it til the cows come home :biggrin:

haha :P
joint honours as in maths with music ?

yeah maths can earn you a lot money, with a maths degree u can do pretty much anything you want in life ! i have passion for music as well but apparently for A level music u have to do a lot theories ... a lot..... right ?
Reply 142
initially i thought 0.241 was way too small and was sure i got it wrong :frown:

but then realised its not like trains go up huge hills is it hahaha. glad alot of us came up wit same answer.
Reply 143
did anyone get that on the goal post question, that the balls trajectory was above the goal post.

It might be wrong but i got 3.??? which is bigger than 2.44
Original post by shredfest
did anyone get that on the goal post question, that the balls trajectory was above the goal post.

top of my head .. i got 3.47 m which is higher than 2.44 so yes :biggrin:
Reply 145
top of my head .. i got 3.47 m which is higher than 2.44 so yes :biggrin:

excellent!!!!!! :smile:
Reply 146
haha :P
joint honours as in maths with music ?

yeah maths can earn you a lot money, with a maths degree u can do pretty much anything you want in life ! i have passion for music as well but apparently for A level music u have to do a lot theories ... a lot..... right ?

Yes, the analysis and listening paper makes up a third of your grade, the other 2 modules are performance and composition. I find the analysis okay but on the listening paper you have to do melody dictation, e.g. they play an extract and we have to write two bars of the melody out with correct pitches and rhythms. Bane of my life!
Original post by Stephybob
Yes, the analysis and listening paper makes up a third of your grade, the other 2 modules are performance and composition. I find the analysis okay but on the listening paper you have to do melody dictation, e.g. they play an extract and we have to write two bars of the melody out with correct pitches and rhythms. Bane of my life!

wow.... sounds like rocket science to me ....................... sometimes i even find it hard to understand what the lyrics are in songs... have to look up on internet :O

hm.... i think i ll probably stick with physics thingy hehe :biggrin:
Original post by shredfest

I got 3.75... I thought it was too high and ended up checking it about 6 times.
guys i did the projectile differently

i did s = ut + o.5at^2

set s as 2.44, used quadratic formula to get t, got 2 values

used the highest one and that was when it was descending

used that t to work out the horizonal distance at that time which was 55m

therefore as 55>50, and 2.44 is the vertical distance off the ground at 55m, then at 50m itd be above 2.44 hence going over the pole.
Original post by TimetoSucceed

i did s = ut + o.5at^2

therefore as 55>50, and 2.44 is the vertical distance off the ground at 55m, then at 50m itd be above 2.44 hence going over the pole.

your logic make sense and your calculation appears to be correct. but i am not sure how many marks would they give you. but then again you might also get full marks for it!
(edited 11 years ago)
hm... yes but what they wanted was what is the height of the ball when x = 50 m, imagine if the goal is not there, the ball will land beyond 50m from the initial position. therefore you cant really tell at x = 50 , whether the ball passed it or not

your logic make sense and your calculation appears to be correct. but i am not sure how many marks would they give you. but then again you might also get full marks for it

yeah =/ i asked two of my friends going cambridge in september and they said they did the exact same thing, i dunno lol
Reply 152
Original post by JumpingFrog
I got 3.75... I thought it was too high and ended up checking it about 6 times.

I got something like that too! :smile: i had to do it 3 times though...first i put in 21 not 31 and got a value of like -100, second time i got sin and cos confused so that was about 18.something and so when i got 3.75 or there abouts i checked it a couple of times aswell jut to be certain!
So what was the magnitude and direction of the acceleration in question 7?

Pretty sure I messed it up, section B was a killer.
im fukin worried about that projectile question, i mean i did prove it [was more complex than needed to be, quadratic formula with sin etc] but it was proved that the ball goes over the bar. Hopefully the mark scheme will have two ways of showing it, or my examiner will like the fact i used a different method and be happy

or just give me 0/6
Original post by TimetoSucceed

i did s = ut + o.5at^2

Your method seems perfectly logical, don't worry there are usually multiple methods for projectiles questions.
Reply 156
Original post by DylanLJG
Your method seems perfectly logical, don't worry there are usually multiple methods for projectiles questions.

This is true...the one which I used which nobody seems to have mentioned is working out the Cartesian equation of the trajectory (a horrible one) and putting in x = 50; y = 3.76 and 3.76 > 2.44 so the ball clears :smile:
Original post by JumpingFrog
Not sure about that. You could be getting mixed up with the A* criteria.
For an A* you need 90% average in C3 and C4 and 80% over the two years. But (according to my teacher) if you do an A2 level third module (S2, M2, D2 and so on) that can count towards the 90% too. I think for an A you just need 80% average (e.g. 480 UMS). Its explained here.

The third A2 module only counts towards the 90% for A Level Further Maths. For A Level Maths, you must average 90% in C3 and C4 only.

So for an A* you need 480 UMS marks total over the 6 papers, 180 of which must be achieved in C3 and C4.

As an extreme example, it is possible to get grade E (40-49 UMS) in two papers out of M1/M2/C1/C2 and still get an A*!
Just a quicky, for the projectiles, was the 'what do you assume?' just that theres no air resistance?
Original post by Just Josh
Just a quicky, for the projectiles, was the 'what do you assume?' just that theres no air resistance?

Thats what I put :smile: but my friend put that she assumed gravity was 10

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending