The Student Room Group

Is Maths the same as every other subject?

What I mean by this is that, everyone has favorite subjects (usually due to the teacher, but that is irrelevant). So someone who is good at/enjoys maths and it is their favorite subject, is there still parts of that subject they struggle with and maybe even hate?

For example, could someone really enjoy maths, however algebra isn't anywhere near as strong as fractions for example?

One of my more enjoyed subjects is history, but certainly there are aspects of history I really hate and I have strong and weak points in the subject.

Seems a rather stupid question now that I read back over it, but I'll post it anyway. Just wondering as I am thinking of taking maths to A-level, however I feel that I may struggle with aspects of it.
Reply 1
Yes, believe it or not, some people enjoy maths. :rolleyes:
I like maths and I'm quite good at it...

...but Derived Lie Algebra isn't one of my strong points :smile:
I adore maths but certainly struggle with a lot of it at times. Can't say there's much maths I've really disliked, though!

Edit: Stats. I forgot about that. That was pretty boring at A level...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by yothi5
Yes, believe it or not, some people enjoy maths. :rolleyes:

Not what I'm asking. I'm asking if there are people who enjoy it but still struggle with certain topics
I would say I'm alright at maths and absolutely love it although my geometry can be shameful at times, I'm more of an algebra sort of guy :biggrin: But I understand it and can learn it quickly but I don't think if a person was bad and couldn't pick up things quickly they would enjoy the majority of maths very much.
Reply 6
Original post by physicsfuntimes

Edit: Stats. I forgot about that. That was pretty boring at A level...

Stats was amazing!
I did the statistics module in Year 11 and messed about most of the time in the class.
In the real exam i drew a pyramid with volcanoes and wrote a sobby story about my teacher not being there (True story).
I came out with a C :cool: (I never took it seriously to get an A)
Reply 7
I quite like maths but absolutely hated M1. People usually feel an affinity for either pure or applied.
Reply 8
Probably depend on the reason they were struggling with algebra... Fractions are introduced in a very concrete way, slicing up pizza etc. Algebra is more abstract and there's an educational theory that your mind has to cross a developmental threshold before you can understand it.
Otoh you might just have been confusingly taught or need more practice.
Reply 9
I absolutely love Maths. Have sat 4 exam so far this year for AS/A2 maths and have come out of every one smiling and happy. I'm known for enjoying Maths exams amongst my friends. However in the lesson I can never follow as I'm a class of 5 and the other 4 are extremely talented. I know all I have to do is put in the extra work where I struggle and I'll enjoy my next two exams.

In February I sat my M1 mock and couldn't answer a single question, in my exam in May I came out feeling confident that I could get a B possibly even a A in M1.

If you're willing to put in the extra work you can enjoy Maths.
Original post by bahjat93
Stats was amazing!
I did the statistics module in Year 11 and messed about most of the time in the class.
In the real exam i drew a pyramid with volcanoes and wrote a sobby story about my teacher not being there (True story).
I came out with a C :cool: (I never took it seriously to get an A)

I can just imagine a examiner wriitng Cool story bro in which the capital C was your grade :biggrin:
Mathematics is broad subject, my friend. Of course people are going to find strengths and weaknesses in such a wide field.
Reply 12
Original post by bestofyou
What I mean by this is that, everyone has favorite subjects (usually due to the teacher, but that is irrelevant). So someone who is good at/enjoys maths and it is their favorite subject, is there still parts of that subject they struggle with and maybe even hate?

For example, could someone really enjoy maths, however algebra isn't anywhere near as strong as fractions for example?

One of my more enjoyed subjects is history, but certainly there are aspects of history I really hate and I have strong and weak points in the subject.

Seems a rather stupid question now that I read back over it, but I'll post it anyway. Just wondering as I am thinking of taking maths to A-level, however I feel that I may struggle with aspects of it.

You can't think of maths as one big subject, as it is split up into various branches. For an A level, you have to do the 4 pure modules (Core 1, 2, 3, and 4), and 2 applied modules, choosing from Decision, Statistics, and Mechanics. Personally, I loved the pure modules of maths A level, but I found Statistics and Decision shudderingly boring. I never did mechanics, but it sounds really interesting, and from what I have heard from others, it is impossible.

Do you know in which areas of Maths your interests lie? You have to work this out soon if you plan to take it to A level, because Maths is a subject where there is choice in what applied modules you do. If you decide you like Mechanics, do Mechanics 1 and 2. If you want some variety, take 2 modules from different branches of Maths.

Hope this helps. :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by bestofyou

Maths has never been a strong point for me but I've always enjoyed it, just makes it more satisfying when you finally do get it. I really stuggled at A-Level because I didn't see the importance of doing tonnes of past papers, I'm at lot better at maths at uni.

Quick Reply

Latest