The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Luxray
weather has been reasonably good these days, could you possibly switch the open collar for a crisp white t-shirt?

It's probably a bit too casual for the garden party :beard: I have a linen shirt that I will probably wear and dark green suede derby's. Just need to find trousers now :beard:
Any suggestions for a good mens leather biker jacket you fashionable people? Check my thread! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2019272
Reply 102
Original post by Mess.
It's probably a bit too casual for the garden party :beard: I have a linen shirt that I will probably wear and dark green suede derby's. Just need to find trousers now :beard:

You little socialite :tongue: Yeah linen shirt is a sound choice. Dark green shoes are gonna make it tricky for you to decide on what colour trousers to go with it.
Original post by Mess.

I'm thinking charcoal grey trousers? Might make your outfit seem a bit too dark though if the party goes late into the night.
Reply 104
Original post by tsnake23
Its the type of thing you'd find unsold at the end of a TK Maxx clearence sale.

Yeh in your opinion....

I like them, but you know what, haters gonna hate :smile:
Reply 105
Original post by Peachz
Good lord, give us strength...

Its just a pair of shorts, no big deal dude.
I want a quilted jacket.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 108
Subbed.
Reply 109
Original post by Pendulum
OK...

a) yes, but really only from M&S or TM Lewin (don't wear a waistcoat to interview please) and make sure it's 100% wool at the bare minimum
b)see a

Thanks very much :smile: I'll bear that in mind! In terms of grey suits, would you recommend a light or dark grey as more versatile/a safer buy?
Does anyone ever buy these? http://uk.burberry.com/store/menswear/shirts/prorsum/prod-44538041-crisp-cotton-shirt/ :colonhash:

£195 for a white shirt, why?
Reply 111
Subbing wubbing bubbing dubbing.
Reply 112
Original post by manchesterunited15
Does anyone ever buy these? http://uk.burberry.com/store/menswear/shirts/prorsum/prod-44538041-crisp-cotton-shirt/ :colonhash:

£195 for a white shirt, why?

Yes, people who have good jobs buy them because £195 is small change. It's all relative. People from a working class background will tell you that you're being ripped off if you spend more than £10 on a t-shirt or £20 on shoes, but understandably their priorities are different.

I mean, it can be argued that you're paying for more luxurious/durable material, a more precise fit, tighter weaving/better construction overall and thus a longer lifespan and a better look. Of course, this would not increase the price from £20 to £200. I should think that most of the increase in price is heaped on due to the bragging rights that a label's marketing gives to a person.

People like to throw their personal fortunes into sharp relief by wearing shirts as expensive as second-hand cars, for a false sense of prestige or some BS like that. After all, if you don't aspire to wear £200 shirts or to own yachts of comparable size to public transport ferries one day, why else would you put the effort into climbing the ladder?

tl;dr people get off on being more successful than other people and get off even more when they can shout about it with relatively expensive possessions. Their rationale for spending what seems to you like too much money is: "because I can."

It may make more sense to you when you have a six figure salary, but then again, you might be able to keep your perspective.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 113
Original post by ЯOЯЯIM
Yes, people who have good jobs buy them because £195 is small change. It's all relative. People from a working class background will tell you that you're being ripped off if you spend more than £10 on a t-shirt or £20 on shoes, but understandably their priorities are different.

I mean, it can be argued that you're paying for more luxurious/durable material, a more precise fit, tighter weaving/better construction overall and thus a longer lifespan and a better look. Of course, this would not increase the price from £20 to £200. I should think that most of the increase in price is heaped on due to the bragging rights that a label's marketing gives to a person.

People like to throw their personal fortunes into sharp relief by wearing shirts as expensive as second-hand cars, for a false sense of prestige or some BS like that. After all, if you don't aspire to wear £200 shirts or to own yachts of comparable size to public transport ferries one day, why else would you put the effort into climbing the ladder?

tl;dr people get off on being more successful than other people and get off even more when they can shout about it with relatively expensive possessions. Their rationale for spending what seems to you like too much money is: "because I can."

It may make more sense to you when you have a six figure salary, but then again, you might be able to keep your perspective.

The vast majority of a £200 shirt is added value as you say from bragging rights.

However its not a rich person vs working class person debate. Most rich people are actually extremely frugal with their money and would shudder at the idea of wasting it on £200 shirts - they didn't get rich in the first place by throwing away their money on pointless crap.

Its just a case of different priorities: some people would rather buy books, or paint for the house, or a holiday; some would save up for an expensive shirt so they can show off to their mates how minted they are.
Original post by RobinK
Thanks very much :smile: I'll bear that in mind! In terms of grey suits, would you recommend a light or dark grey as more versatile/a safer buy?

Dark grey is far more versatile.
Reply 115
Original post by Pendulum
Dark grey is far more versatile.

This. The only occasion for which a charcoal grey suit is inappropriate is a funeral.

And even then, you can get away with it, you'll just look poor.
submarine
Reply 117
Anyone know where i can get those CK style boxers for cheap but good quality. pack of 3 for £10?

The.Quilted.Jacket.
Original post by Cristocracy

The.Quilted.Jacket.

For some reason, I really like this look.

i wouldn't be able to pull it off however :frown:

Latest