The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Quick few Qs about Southampton Uni

Chances are I'm not going to be able to go to the Southampton open day unless I go myself so I have a few questions...

How accessible is the university from the train station? Long/short distance?

What's the nightlife like?

Best things to do in the city?

How would you rate the facilities at the university? Library/computers - sports/clubs/gyms

Any advice for a 2013 applicant?

English students only: highs/lows of the English Literature course?

Thank you! :smile::smile:
Reply 1
Hey,

I'm just about to finish my first year at Southampton and can honestly say you will love it.

It's probably a 40min walk from the main train station but you should get a free bus pass in your first year anyway and so will only take you 15mins to get there.

Nightlife is great, main areas are Bedford place which has loads of clubs/bars of similar prices, Portswood which has Sobar (very cheap) and Jesters (infamously one of the worst clubs in the country, great fun and cheap, but dirty) and then Voodoo and Oceana which are bigger clubs separate from the others.

The city is just like most modern cities really. Has cinema, restaurants etc. the common, a massive park is great this time of year too.

Facilities are pretty decent. Library can get too busy around exam times. Gym and sport facilities are excellent.

Advice would be to really go for it during freshers and make as many friends as possible. Then after you can decide which ones you really like and want to put up with for the rest of the year.

Haven't met anyone here who hasn't enjoyed their first year though so I'm sure you'll love it.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Just finished my second year.

How accessible is the university from the train station? Long/short distance?
Unilink bus service covers routes from both the Airport station and Central station. Airport takes about 10 minutes to the Uni and Central takes about 15-20 depending on traffic.

What's the nightlife like?
Definitely comprehensive. There's Portswood for your scummier (but often more fun) nights out and Bedford Place for sometimes higher prices but more class. I like both.

Best things to do in the city?

Walk around the common, sit by the river, visit the Docks (they aren't great but pretty during sunset) and obviously we have the shopping centre and plenty of food places. Also, I'm a history student so I like the museums and a new one opened recently :smile:

How would you rate the facilities at the university? Library/computers - sports/clubs/gyms
Gym seems quite expensive for me and it's often hard to get to use the facilities in there at peak time but people seem to manage. The pool is very handy and I have been to numerous classes e.g. zumba/spin and they have been brilliant.

The library can get very busy during peak study times but it's alright. As you're looking to study a humanities subject you can also make use of study space at Avenue which is easier to get hold of. I study history so I'm also part of the humanities faculty. The library closes earlier and is very small at Avenue however so I tend to go to Hartley more. You'll always find a seat in the end, the real trouble is finding a plug socket if you have a laptop!

Any advice for a 2013 applicant?
Join societies, enjoy yourself and just...make the most of it I suppose.

English students only: highs/lows of the English Literature course?
I don't study English but a lot of my friends do as a number of English students did a crossover course with History this year. From what I know the faculty is fairly good although I would say humanities as a whole is neglected at the University. There is also a great deal of inconsistency in marks. But if you're aiming to study English as long as you know there are a lot of essays and more exams than say, History, you'll be fine. Also, from what I know, English are always some of the first to finish their exams!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending