The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That should be fine... as long as you can pay!
Reply 2
As far as your wallet goes :wink: :p: .

But yes, that should be perfectly fine. Just tell them when you book, as I suggest you book in advance.
Reply 3
Ok cool.

45 minute taxi drive. Anyone got an estimation? 30 quid?

Ive never taken a taxi in my whole damn life.
Reply 4
One of my housemates went to a football match, i forget which one but i think it was Man UTD V Tottenham, being a Spurs fan he lives in London and it was an evening match...

Anyway, they missed their train home and weather problems meant there were no more trains running that day, so they had to get a taxi, the taxi was willing to do the 4 hour journey but only if they paid him upfront! I think it cost him about £260. :biggrin:
Reply 5
in london, there is a specific rule, if not law, for black cabs.

if they have their light on and you get in, they have to take you wherever you want, as long as it's no further than a certain distance from kings cross st pancras - that distance is either 25, 30 or 35 miles; can't remember though.

edit: i think that's a historic law. for london black cabs, this seems to be the set of regulations: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/pco/taxi_fares.shtml
Reply 6
AND, Black Cabs charge by the meter.

Rush hour....NOT a good time to get in a taxi!!!
Reply 7
Thats crazy. I mean how does the taxi driver know where the place might even be.

Is that part of the job for a taxi driver? Learning the London map extensively, haha. Im serious.
Reply 8
Clarence
AND, Black Cabs charge by the meter.

Rush hour....NOT a good time to get in a taxi!!!

If the cab is stationery, the meter shouldn't go up.

OP: ring up the company and ask if they're take you that far. 45 minutes away isn't that far really, and I'm sure they'll have maps and control to radio into for help.

Ask for a quote before you order, but make sure you take more than out with you. If a driver's going out of their way, I think they deserve a tip.
Reply 9
Its cool, i found a taxi website.

Charge £25 per hour. Sorted, thats nothing.
Reply 10
Packard
Say if i want to go somewhere which is at least 30-45 minutes away. Can a taxi take you that far and know the directions?

Im thinking this is not possible or is it?

Call them beforehand and ask, they will most probably ask for the money up front plus it would give them a change to find the place if they dont already know it
Still ask for a quote when you call! Just in case.

Also, they'll probably know roughly the way, but if it's a specific street in a town, be prepared to help them out a bit.
Reply 12
Yeh ill do that.

Site says they come with the 'best of knowledge'. So should be alright.
Reply 13
The Knowledge is a test they do to become taxi drivers in London. I wish they did it in Melbourne. You get in the cab, grab the Melways street difrectory and then show them the grid reference
Reply 14
Packard

'cking hell, how sheltered are you?!!
Reply 15
TrentEnd
'cking hell, how sheltered are you?!!

Id never been in a taxi till 3 years ago :rolleyes:
segat1
The Knowledge is a test they do to become taxi drivers in London. I wish they did it in Melbourne. You get in the cab, grab the Melways street difrectory and then show them the grid reference

Even though he's in London, I think he's ringing for a minicab.

they don't do The Knowledge, and as such an A-Z is always a useful thing to have.

My friend's dad did the Knowledge. It takes years, and apperently cab drivers' brains are wired slightly differently as a result and they have a better memory..
Packard
Ok cool.

45 minute taxi drive. Anyone got an estimation? 30 quid?

No it will be much more than that and forget it if it's a licensed black cab.

If you want to get a cheap ride, avoid a black cab and go for a cheaper taxi service.

I'd say at least 50 quid if you negotiate with the driver. Remember to negotiate the price before leaving instead of preparing yourself to pay by the meter.
Reply 18
Black Cabs still charge even if they are stationary.
Reply 19
SamTheMan
No it will be much more than that and forget it if it's a licensed black cab.

If you want to get a cheap ride, avoid a black cab and go for a cheaper taxi service.

I'd say at least 50 quid if you negotiate with the driver. Remember to negotiate the price before leaving instead of preparing yourself to pay by the meter.

Why you getting my hopes down? :frown:

http://www.london-taxi.co.uk/taxi/bookings.htm

You're telling me, they are lying to me?

edit - Oh damn just realised the fixed price part. That means the original fee plus with the per hour charge. Right?

Any fixed prices quoted include 10 minutes free waiting time after this time waiting time will be charged @ £25.00 per hour day charge or £30.00 per hour night charge or the fare reverted to a metered fare

Latest

Trending

Trending