The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

is it doable to go to bristol for a night out from bath?

I’m going to university in bath, bristol is only 10 minutes away by train but is it doable to go for a night out in bristol? what are taxis like back & prices / are there trains back in early morning hours?

Bath is much better for the course i want to study but I do want to also experience the amazing nightlife bristol has to offer

Thanks!
Original post by Anonymous #1
I’m going to university in bath, bristol is only 10 minutes away by train but is it doable to go for a night out in bristol? what are taxis like back & prices / are there trains back in early morning hours?

Bath is much better for the course i want to study but I do want to also experience the amazing nightlife bristol has to offer

Thanks!

Its certainly doable but it is a bit of a trek, although the train itself is quite quick, you'll have to then get from temple meads to the club which could range from like a 10-30 minute walk depending on which club you pick. The trains usually stop at about midnight. Not to sure how much a taxi is but I cannot imagine it is that cheap. It costs about £16 for a taxi back to my accomodation at night (which is about a 15 minute drive), so to get back to Bath is probs at least double. However, there are buses that run into the night, which go from Bath to Bristol which are much much cheaper, just is a longer journey. I'm a Bristol student so haven't experienced Bath nightlife personally, but I know a couple people at Uni there and they all really enjoy it. It is about the people you're with at the end of the day, less the city. I would definetley recommened a night out in Bristol, but probably would not be able to make it a regular thing, due to the cost/ effort.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by Anonymous #1

Thanks!

Hi there!

Firstly, huge congrats on your offer to come to Bath, that's a fab achievement which I'm sure you have worked very hard for! I am a former Bath student so just thought I'd jump in here.

Agreed with advice so far regarding the trains as there is usually a 5-hour gap from midnight to early morning where there may be significantly less availability, so this is definitely something to be mindful of. Another option is the bus as the bus station in Bath is right next to the train station - here's a link to the route between Bath and Bristol. The buses usually run a little later than trains and a student return ticket is only around £4.00 which makes it a cheaper option than the train or a taxi :smile:

In terms of choosing a university I would definitely recommend going with which course you feel is right for you rather than the nightlife; as Bath and Bristol are so close whichever you go you can experience the culture and nightlife of both cities (the best of both worlds!), but you can only study the course from the university you choose.

I hope that helps! Please ask away on here if you have any more Qs

Best wishes

Holly
University of Bath
buses from bath to bris are cheaper but it's probs best if you can see if you can make some friends in bristol and just stay at theirs for the night ngl... the station is nowhere near the clubs and taxis aren't cheap. I also study in Bristol but ngl you'd probably end up paying less for a night in a hostel and getting the bus back in the morning rather than paying for an uber back to bath as it's nearly an hour's drive. if you're clubbing on the triangle or in old city/thekla then you can just get the 8 bus back to the station but again the trains stop at midnight-ish -- there is a bus stop outside the station that is on the bath/bristol route (x39 I think??) so that'd be £7-8 for the two return tickets and you can get a bus that runs later (39 and 522 but the 522 is soo long) but you'll need to check before going!

Quick Reply

Latest