The Student Room Group

Anyone want to learn a language over summer?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cpdavis
How will you ensure that only people who voted for Italian, Dutch and French vote this time round?

I will not be. It isn't exclusive for those people. It's just a grand finale vote.
Sounds like a fun idea :biggrin:
Original post by najinaji
As a fellow language enthusiast, I support this idea. :yy: Currently trying to get to grips with German.

Original post by NerdyBashir
Gonna spend 3 months in Kenya! - I'll try to pick up some Kiswahili.

Original post by Vixen47
German! :h:

Original post by IAmTheKing
I'd love to become fluent in welsh... Again...

Original post by Marijketje
If anyone wants to learn Dutch, I'd love to help.

Original post by The Puppet Master
German! :mmm: As I was born there people always ask "Can you speak it?" and it's embarrassing to say no. :frown: I speak French and English.

Original post by chinaberry
Already decided on Italian :-D no idea what level I could get up to, but hoping to book some conversation lessons at the end of September and see how I get on, and maybe stumble my way through some children's books.

Probably should try to get ahead in Dutch instead (my first language, but lost loads of it)- I was learning vocab and reading in it a while ago, but got out of the habit. I did read a Dutch comic strip of Jane Eyre though :cool:

Original post by Perfectly_Imperfect
Arabic!

Original post by Marijketje
yes, Arabic would be cool!

Original post by Emmie3303
I'd love to learn Welsh or Dutch. I'm afraid I only speak English fluently but I have an A2 in French so I'd be able to help people with the basics. I'd love to brush up on my French again since I've let it slide over the last two years. Great idea OP :smile:.

Original post by Mocking_bird
I would love to learn Dutch! I have a lot of Dutch friends who could help out too :smile:

Original post by pink pineapple
Would love to learn Spanish over the summer :smile:

Original post by nataliekwong
I want to learn Latin...but we all know I wont be able to xD

Original post by Jiraya Sama
Arabic? Mandarin? :biggrin:

Original post by xmarilynx
I'm tempted to take up a new language but should probably focus on my German and Russian for now... Particularly since the main two languages I would be interested in learning, Dutch and Polish, might confuse me because they're similar. I often wish I spoke Spanish and Hebrew too, might leave that until September though as my uni does free language courses :wink:

Will definitely be doing everything I can to improve my German and Russian this summer though, so challenge (partially) accepted :biggrin:

Original post by r4ndom
I'll be learning the basics of German in an academy and keep studying French (B2 level).

I can help with the Spanish.

Original post by chocolatechoco
Check out a site called duolingo, it allows you to learn a language for free. It's still in beta format but is going live soon and I know French and Spanish are going to be up with Italian and mandarin coming later. I think German might be up too!

Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
Marilyn I hope you don't mind me asking such a nosy question, but I looked at your signature and I wondered, how does one acquire a position at a foreign university? There is no government subsidy, is that right? I'm only a college student so I'm not well versed in how universities work. I'm just curious. :smile:

Original post by alaska.
Yay :smile: definitely joining. I do my B2 DELF exam in a month, so I'd like to improve till then.

I am a native German, so I can preread texts or help you with grammar and vocabulary :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830

Original post by Thomas2
Don't worry, it comes back to you pretty quick when you start using it again.

Original post by Mediterrasian
I'm totally joining this, I love being able to speak other languages.

I can help with French.

Me too. :smile:

Original post by Tensei
:redface: This sounds like fun!!!

But I am going to be learning Japaneese at UCL's Language Summer School - Thank you very much language requirement :frown:

Sometimes I speak it (randomly, I don't know why!) or I hear it on TV and I'm surprised at how much I still understand. I think I just need to go back over the grammar a little and learn more vocab :smile:.

I'd love to try this too. I was going to do it this summer and use the materials from the Latin teaching page on my university website but procrastination is winning so far :p:. Maybe we could try and encourage eachother :smile:.

Original post by Devon
Definitely! Took a year and a half of Spanish before transferring, but haven't used it since, so I've forgotten a lot of vocabulary.
Plus, I'd like to learn Japanese without my parents telling me to focus on school stuff. I love this idea

Don't forget to vote :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2020647

The link won't work for me :frown:. Apparently the page doesn't exist.
The link won't work for me :frown:. Apparently the page doesn't exist.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2020647
This is SUCH a good idea :biggrin: I'd be up for learning Spanish. I do French at uni and know German to A2 level, so I can help out with those if need be.
Reply 187
Original post by alaska.
Haha, that's what I listen to as well! But they are easier to understand than some people on my practice CD :biggrin: makes me wonder why they make it so hard! Yeeah, it really does! But I found a website called sharedtalk.com that offers a Speaking Chat, which I tried out today, was really good :smile:

yes, it can be easier, but it helps a lot to get used to the language.
The chat looks fine too :smile:
Reply 188
Unanswered
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 189
Italian :smile:
Spanish won :biggrin: excellent. when/who is starting the new thread?
Original post by LookIt'sPete
Spanish won :biggrin: excellent. when/who is starting the new thread?

Me. Next week sometime so look out for it.
Original post by Miracle Day
Me. Next week sometime so look out for it.

Really want to learn Spanish over the summer.. is this for complete beginners? :biggrin:
Original post by number23
Really want to learn Spanish over the summer.. is this for complete beginners? :biggrin:

yup
Sounds like fun, I'd love to learn Spanish.

Looking forward to joining you guys. :smile:
Original post by Miracle Day
yup

cool, i have exams throughout june... will it still be running in july/august?
Reply 196
Can help teach German and French, looking to pick up Spanish (preferably), Italian, or Portuguese.
Original post by number23
cool, i have exams throughout june... will it still be running in july/august?

Yes:smile:
Reply 198
Oh no spanish won :frown:

Awks when you do A Level Spanish

No obstante, buena suerte y espero que aprendáis mucho espanol !
Reply 199
spanish :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending