The Student Room Group

Southampton BM4 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by tianuk3
I know it is very strange. Just had another look:

Was your UKCAT over about 555. Think that's the 25% mark this year?
Reply 61
Original post by Cattree
Was your UKCAT over about 555. Think that's the 25% mark this year?

UKCAT was 720 lol
Reply 62
Original post by Cattree
Sorry to hear about the rejections. Kings cut-off is crazy. This is my 2nd round of applying too. If I don't get in this year I'll have to take stock. I suspect I'll probably apply again next year though. I have a burning desire to do Medicine (I know, corny..), that's how I want to spend my life. But whilst applying I am also progressing my Plan B Life Plan. It may be the case that something comes along in the next year or two that I want more than medicine, in which case I'll stop applying, but until that happens I'll probably apply until I get in! At least you can learn a lot about the application procedures for each uni. I know I learnt a lot last year, and have hopefully made better decisions about where to apply this year. Good luck with your other choices.

Thanks for the response, nice to hear your thoughts. I think I will keep going, only problem is I hate my current job (Healthcare Market Research); but can't really afford to do anything like being a Healthcare Assistant, which would probably be better for my application! Wishing you the best of luck too! Fingers (and everything else) crossed. At least my pain will be over by the end of December as my other choices are Barts & Warwick....
Reply 63
Original post by tianuk3

Studied for GAMSAT, taking Cardiology courses.etc

I may try phoning them. I received their letter today, absolutely no help whatsoever and just gave a broad hosts of reasons why people generally don't progress.

I know!! Their letter was a waste of paper. Not sure why logging at least one sentence worth of feedback for each candidate is so difficult?

Did you get anywhere with getting any additional feedback?

Looking at the criteria again I may have fallen down on "evidence of recent study"...Hard to fit that in with the full time job, volunteering, studying for the UKCAT, reading journals etc. etc. :wink:
Reply 64
did anyone with a rejection receive anything via e-mail/ucas track ? I'm not at home to get post for the next while.
Reply 65
Original post by Lisee_Lou
I know!! Their letter was a waste of paper. Not sure why logging at least one sentence worth of feedback for each candidate is so difficult?

Did you get anywhere with getting any additional feedback?

Looking at the criteria again I may have fallen down on "evidence of recent study"...Hard to fit that in with the full time job, volunteering, studying for the UKCAT, reading journals etc. etc. :wink:

Tell me about it, thinking that's why I might have slipped up too. I studied for GAMSAT and have taken courses, but no real academic study I guess, but I can hardly afford a masters at £10k. The Gov just wants the rich and priveleged to have education nowadays it seems.

Original post by Starz678
did anyone with a rejection receive anything via e-mail/ucas track ? I'm not at home to get post for the next while.

Yes, got the email from UCAS first saying something had changed then a couple days letter news from Southampton via post.

Original post by Lisee_Lou
Thanks for the response, nice to hear your thoughts. I think I will keep going, only problem is I hate my current job (Healthcare Market Research); but can't really afford to do anything like being a Healthcare Assistant, which would probably be better for my application! Wishing you the best of luck too! Fingers (and everything else) crossed. At least my pain will be over by the end of December as my other choices are Barts & Warwick....

I'm sure you can. I live in a shared house, in a very expensive city to rent (Oxford) and I can afford to be a HCA full-time, you just have to cut back on certain luxuries and live more simple, it may be a huge salary sacrifice but it will be worth it in the long term. Unless you have a huge debt or there is some sort of other personal reason. I gave up my sales job, which was earning me quite a bit, to take a £15k a yr HCA job.
Reply 66
Anyone heard anything....the wait is painful, just tell us !!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
Original post by ChristianneG
I was having this same rant today! I have a Bachelors and a Masters, years of hospital experience, 700 on my UKCAT, yet I've being rejected left right and centre and these kids are getting to interview. Seems so unfair...

May I ask what your Bsc and masters are in?
Reply 68
Rejection :frown: Received about 45 minutes ago.
Reply 69
Sorry to hear your news. Do you mind me asking, are you an international applicant or UK applicant? Hope you get some better news soon. Best of luck.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 70
Original post by Dr Know
Sorry to hear your news. Do you mind me asking, are you an international applicant or UK applicant? Hope you get some better news soon. Best of luck.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Thank you. I'm a UK applicant.

Also, does anyone have a specific email address I can contact admissions on to obtain feedback? Can't seem to find one. Thanks
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 71
You could try: [email protected]
Thats the only direct email i'm aware of.

Can i ask, is your last name near the beginning or end of the alphabet im trying to figure out if its alphabetical because a friend of mine was rejected a week ago and he was at the start of the alphabet. Eagerly awaiting my rejection haha
Reply 72
Original post by surf2k13
You could try: [email protected]
Thats the only direct email i'm aware of.

Can i ask, is your last name near the beginning or end of the alphabet im trying to figure out if its alphabetical because a friend of mine was rejected a week ago and he was at the start of the alphabet. Eagerly awaiting my rejection haha

Thanks so much :smile: Haha it's K so round about the middle so don't think they're rejecting in alphabetical order.
Reply 73
Heard nothing here yet, April seems so far away!
Fingers crossed!

Does anyone have a rough estimate of how many applications were made? How many rejects roughly have been given?
Reply 74
Original post by JLBUK
Heard nothing here yet, April seems so far away!
Fingers crossed!

Does anyone have a rough estimate of how many applications were made? How many rejects roughly have been given?

No idea.

I applied for deferred entry for 2014 entry. I just hope i get in. They emailed me about my qualifications going back to year nine a few weeks ago.
I am an eu applicant but have taken my msc and most of my phd in london, just writing my thesis.
I got my interview for edinburgh on the 30th so im thrilled about that. Does anyone know if it will take longer for soton to get back to deferred entry applicants.
So far at least i haven't gotten a rejection :smile: But also had a 653 ukcat score which i was ecstatic about lol because last time i did it i got a 498 or something like that lol just got screwed on the decision analysis bit but nailed it this time round. Also have loads of hospital work experience from different labs as I worked there and also with patients when drawing blood doing ecg's.
And the reference my supervisor wrote for me was really good as well.

Sorry im babbling a bit just nervous, this wait is seriously killing me. I hope the best for all you guys.
Original post by shega
No idea.

I applied for deferred entry for 2014 entry. I just hope i get in. They emailed me about my qualifications going back to year nine a few weeks ago.
I am an eu applicant but have taken my msc and most of my phd in london, just writing my thesis.
I got my interview for edinburgh on the 30th so im thrilled about that. Does anyone know if it will take longer for soton to get back to deferred entry applicants.
So far at least i haven't gotten a rejection :smile: But also had a 653 ukcat score which i was ecstatic about lol because last time i did it i got a 498 or something like that lol just got screwed on the decision analysis bit but nailed it this time round. Also have loads of hospital work experience from different labs as I worked there and also with patients when drawing blood doing ecg's.
And the reference my supervisor wrote for me was really good as well.

Sorry im babbling a bit just nervous, this wait is seriously killing me. I hope the best for all you guys.

Yh the wait is horrible, its my last choice. Congratz on the ukcat jump its a huge amount.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Seen a few people receiving rejections but has anyone had any offers for southampton yet? X
Reply 77
Original post by vstrawson0910
Seen a few people receiving rejections but has anyone had any offers for southampton yet? X

I don't think anyone has, although I suppose you could always give them a quick call to find out when they are likely to inform candidates.

However, my hunch is that it is best not to expect anything until March. I've resigned to the fact Southampton will take a long while; all we can do is simply wait.
Reply 78
Someone has been offered, check on the graduate medicine application forum on here. Like page 64, they were offered yesterday and they are a UK student with 1st Psych, MSc Neurology and finishing PhD....phew so many qualifications! Hopefully everyone who applied dont have PhDs....!!
I've just been offered a place!!
I got a 2:1 in BSc Biology from the University of Bath. My only condition is that I get at least grade E in AS Chemistry which I'm sitting this year. UKCAT: 655
Good luck everyone! x
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending