The Student Room Group

If you are against the Queen, you are against the UK

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
People have short memories. People of our generation won't be as familiar with the Diana/Charles/Camilla triangle but Charles made Diana's life a living hell and stated in an interview with Martin Bashir that he doesn't have the right qualities to be king. Camilla is a whore but the sheep who celebrate the Jubilee etc will accept her.

Princess Diana made countless people's lives awful. For a start, she was mentally ill to the point that she would have been impossible to live with. She was vain, indiscreet and exploitative. Charles got pushed into that dysfunctional marriage - what was her excuse? The way she carried on thereafter, becoming the constant subject of tabloid gossip, was also inexcusable.

I'm no big fan of what Camilla did, but I can quite understand Charles wanting to get away from Diana and the amount of B.S. he must've had to put up with. I'm actually quite impressed that he remained friendly towards her thereafter and even complimented her virtues, including after she was dead.
Original post by Dobermory
The Queen is a symbol of inspiration, a figure above the politics, who can unite the nation. The Queen is in a way the national mother. She is also a safeguard against corrupt Prime Ministers. In my view, actively opposing The Queen is arguably a form of treason, and should be treated as such. Long live The Queen!

How is the queen a safeguard? All her powers have long since been stripped. Hell all the poeple given titles in the new years honours lists are those chosen by the govt.
Original post by ArthurWinterthurII
A safeguard against corrupt Prime Ministers? I really don't think so. Unfortunately, in this day and age, Her Majesty is merely a ceremonial figurehead. Really, she holds no power or authority. Occurrences such as the Royal Assent and the opening of Parliament and whatnot are merely convention and not actually established constitutionally (there being no written constitution).

In short, the Queen, Prince and whatnot of England and Wales (and Britain, if you will) are merely remnants of a bygone era, where the King or Queen of England was greatly important and was even an Emperor or Empress of the Empire.

I think this ends the discussion. The monarchy is merely an archaic attribute that the UK has sustained in keeping with our distinguished culture and tradition. There is nothing wrong with that, yes.

I reckon the monarchy symbolises our singularised tradition and culture in as much as effect as our intrinsic fish 'n chips or a black taxi; nothing more, nothing less.

However, at the end of the day, this argument of the OP is ignorant.

If I hated fish and chips, according to the argument of the OP, it means I hate the UK.

Or if I didn't go to a street party, it means I hate the UK.

Or if I didn't respect our pioneering of modern tennis, according to the argument of the OP, it implies I hate the UK.

This is a stupid, feebleminded and obtuse argument that is abusive of the general sense of modern society.

What a waste of time.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 103
How can anyone be against the Queen? Bohemian Rhapsody is the best!
Reply 104
**** the monarchy, **** the state, hasta la victoria siempre!
Original post by Adam C
**** the monarchy, **** the state, hasta la victoria siempre!

Get out you Spaniard! :tongue:
Reply 106
Original post by L i b
That's complete, unadulterated rubbish. I'm beginning to think people should be flogged for presuming to give legal opinions without at least a bachelor's degree in law.

Nutter.

We are a state in the EU where was your Queen to stop 'The Kingdom' being sold to the EU. So funny you have no clue of whats going on in the world and how the people of this land have struggled for liberty from the blood rulers (Magna Carter etc..). In fact you think a person with a degree is automatically knowlegable. And superman is gonna save the day! Remember all people should be born equal.
Original post by member963009
'I am a citizen, I am not a subject' :rolleyes:

And why was this needed to be said?
The title "subject" was pretty much abolished in 1981, in the British Nationality Act.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending