The Student Room Group

Vomiting first day of period

2 out of my last 3 periods have started with bad stomach cramps and nausea followed by vomiting until my stomach is empty.

The first time I had taken ibuprofen and paracetamol together and assumed it was the effect of this but I didn't the second time yet still threw up.

The periods themselves are normal.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I will be booking a GP appointment shortly but wanted to get an idea of what it was.

Scroll to see replies

I have not experienced this but I know it's perfectly normal, since my friends had similar symptoms back then.
But still, get it checked by a GP (:
Reply 2
For a while I got this, really really bad - on my first day of my period I'd get nausea, dizziness, would pretty much throw up if I ate anything. It really freaked me out, because my actual periods were no different, and I'd always had fairly light, pain-free periods. The first time it happened I was out with my boyfriend and ended up vomiting all over a park bench, I thought I had a stomach bug but then it happened a few more times and I realised the correlation :L

Sionce then I went on the pill (not for that reason though) so my periods have stopped and obviously it doens't happen anymore, I never really worked out a cure for it though other than that =/ So yeah, go to your GP and maybe they can suggest something?
I'd go to the GP- have you recently gone on the pill/ changed brands of pill because that could be some sort of side effect
Reply 4
Not on any form of contraception.

I find it really difficult to do anything on the first day most times I'm on my period so hope it can be sorted!
This happens to me occasionally - not every month though, thankfully! It's horrible! Do you also get really shivery/freezing cold, no matter how warm it is?
Reply 6
Have you recently started?
Reply 7
I feel pretty feverish (cold sweats) after I throw up but don't think I've ever felt just cold.

No I haven't just started, had my periods about 5 years. (I'm 19 if that helps)
This happens to me every month. I feel sick and often cant keep food down for the first couple of days. It is normal...im 22 so ive had a few periods. I didnt go to my GP. Just make sure you drink lots of water and rest :smile:
Reply 9
This happened to me once completley out of the blue when I'd been having periods and not been sick for years and then it didn't happen again. If you go to the GP they may be able to prescribe you stronger meds which may help.
Reply 10
I used to get this every time a few years ago. I'd throw up on the first day of my period and had to miss school for a day or two every month because of it. I started my period when I was 12 and the throwing up happened every month from when I was 15-16 then it stopped. I sometimes still get the nausea every now and then but I haven't thrown up from it since. It just kinda went away on it's own after a couple of years, I just thought it was normal, but rather annoying, at the time.
Reply 11
I had this a few times when I was 14-15 but it just settled down on its own. I think your periods just get more settled as you get older.
Reply 12
Original post by Todd
For a while I got this, really really bad - on my first day of my period I'd get nausea, dizziness, would pretty much throw up if I ate anything. It really freaked me out, because my actual periods were no different, and I'd always had fairly light, pain-free periods. The first time it happened I was out with my boyfriend and ended up vomiting all over a park bench, I thought I had a stomach bug but then it happened a few more times and I realised the correlation :L

Sionce then I went on the pill (not for that reason though) so my periods have stopped and obviously it doens't happen anymore, I never really worked out a cure for it though other than that =/ So yeah, go to your GP and maybe they can suggest something?

I get like that too, don't worry, and if i don't pop meds before the real pain starts to kick in I end up passing out; only things I can advise are to take some ibuprofens (paracetamol don't do anything for me) at soon as you feel the first tinge of a period pain because they'll take half an hour to kick in anyway, by that time you'd be crippled without them. Then what I do is have a nap (if possible) until they've kicked in, so that when you wake up you won't have felt a thing. Hope it helps :smile:
My first few days are usually bad. The severity varies every few months. I do have to take to my bed on some occasions.

I usually just take codeine. Which is ok short term. Not sure you can mix ibuprofen and paracetomol can you?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 14
i sometimes throw up.i think its the pain and the cramps that makes you vomit!
Yeah it's normal, I've thrown up from the cramps before and fainted too. Periods suck.
Yeah mine used to be hell, but went to the GP and got prescribe Mefanamic Acid which helps! i recommend it :smile: but considering contraceptive pill because i get bad PMS too...
Reply 17
Original post by Candesense
Not sure you can mix ibuprofen and paracetomol can you?

You can mix ibuprofen and paracetamol safely :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by kitkat8
2 out of my last 3 periods have started with bad stomach cramps and nausea followed by vomiting until my stomach is empty.

The first time I had taken ibuprofen and paracetamol together and assumed it was the effect of this but I didn't the second time yet still threw up.

The periods themselves are normal.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I will be booking a GP appointment shortly but wanted to get an idea of what it was.

i suffered from vomiting every first day of a period for years, I was throwing up uncontrollably multiple times for the majority of the day anywhere!! On a bus! In an exam! In class! It was ridiculous. After visiting the doctors several times they adviced for me to go on the contreceptive pill as the vomiting may have been because of my irregular periods. I've now been on the pill for a year and haven't been sick since! I would definately recommend it.
Reply 19
I once vomited every morning for a week whilst i was on, never happened before, never happened again.

I think a lot of women experience it, so dw shouldnt be anything seriously wrong, but maybe a doctor could help you prevent it.

Latest