The Student Room Group

The big "critique my diet" thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MairiTheMack
Ok, so here's my daily routine for food...

Breakfast: I used to have a daily habit of eating two slices of toast(white bread) for breakfast and a cup of tea. Now I stick to a bowl of porridge with a teaspoon of syrup with milk and a banana on top.

Mid morning: Cup of tea and a bit of fruit.

Lunch: A couple of boiled eggs and a slice of toast. Or a cheese sandwich.

Evening meal: Whatever the family is having, it's usually a roast meal, or salmon, also, my parents are used to a lot of salt on things (they were used to having lots of salt on food as they used to live on islands of the West-Coast of Scotland). When I'm in uni though I'll have a ready made meal a couple of times a week, once a fortnight a fry up, once a week faijitas, chops, chicken keivs, anything that's easily cooked, some homemade soup (soup that's been stored away in the freezer by my lovely mum!), salmon or stuff that I can make with mince. Occasionally I'll have a pasta or pizza.
I rarely have takeaways.

Evening snack: My evening snack usually consists of a couple of slices of toast, scrambled egg, cereal or oatcakes and a cup of tea.

What's your goal ? And more precise serving sizes .. I hope that's whole grain bread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 381
Not a fan of these kinds of threads but my NY resolution is to try going mostly paleo/primal. Don't have a 'set diet' but for example, yesterday looked like:

Breakfast: Sweet potato hash, onions, steak.

Lunch: Small pack fish sushi, 2x chicken drumsticks, 1x yellow pepper.

Snack: 2x chicken drumsticks, 1x yellow pepper.

Dinner: PWO protein shake, 4x streaky bacon, sweet potato hash, 2x eggs, veg.

Snack: 2x devilled eggs (hard boiled with no yolk) 4x streaky bacon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
breakfast: cereal
snack 1: fruit
lunch: meat sandwich
dinner: lasagna/ chicken salad
maybe some other chocolaty snack during the day (does anyone else find that it is so cold that they are eating more?)
Reply 383
Have just started working out properly, plan to bulk up.
I weigh 147 pounds.

Meal 1:
-1 Scoop Whey Protein
-Oats
-2 Whole eggs
- Banana

Meal 2:
-Can of tuna
-2 Slices of wholemeal bread
-Lettuce

Meal 3:
-Grilled chicken breast
-Sweet potato

Meal 4:
-2 Scoops of whey protein with semi-skimmed milk

Meal 5: (This meal usually varies)
-Steak/Salmon/Chicken/Beef
-Brown rice
-Salad/vegetables

Meal 6:
-2 servings of cottage cheese
-20 almonds

I also take multivitamins and fish-oil daily as well as eating various fruits.

Any advice/feedback would be appreciated, however harsh.
Reply 384
Original post by Seanm1994
Have just started working out properly, plan to bulk up.
I weigh 147 pounds.

Meal 1:
-1 Scoop Whey Protein
-Oats
-2 Whole eggs
- Banana

Meal 2:
-Can of tuna
-2 Slices of wholemeal bread
-Lettuce

Meal 3:
-Grilled chicken breast
-Sweet potato

Meal 4:
-2 Scoops of whey protein with semi-skimmed milk

Meal 5: (This meal usually varies)
-Steak/Salmon/Chicken/Beef
-Brown rice
-Salad/vegetables

Meal 6:
-2 servings of cottage cheese
-20 almonds

I also take multivitamins and fish-oil daily as well as eating various fruits.

Any advice/feedback would be appreciated, however harsh.

Very clean, however 147lbs is extremely light (in my view anyway).

If you want to bulk up, I'd recommend adding more calories and not worrying too much about not having such a clean diet.

Do you have a goal weight?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 385
Original post by Khanage
Very clean, however 147lbs is extremely light (in my view anyway).

If you want to bulk up, I'd recommend adding more calories and not worrying too much about not having such a clean diet.

Do you have a goal weight?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice. I've always been a tennis player so I've always been relatively light and have had low body fat. However I plan to transform my body now and my long-term goal weight is 180lbs.
Basically, I've been feeling so tired recently after lowering my calorie intake to lose a bit of weight (currently about BMI 23, want to get back to the BMI 21 I was in the summer holidays). I'm eating 1500-1600 calories, down from probably around 2600+ calories around Christmas and before. My typical diet will be:

Breakfast: porridge with banana
Lunch: ham sandwich with brown bread, or a couple of ryvita with ham or cheese and a piece of fruit
Dinner: Usually chicken breast/prawns/fish with new potatoes/rice or a stir fry or something like that, always with loads of veg
Snacks: will have a couple more pieces of fruit, maybe a hot chocolate if I'm under my calories for the day

Have I lowered my intake too much? Or are the kinds of foods I'm eating causing me to be tired all the time?
Reply 387
This is based around my working school day. Note, I've always been a ''hard-gainer'' - I'm currently 6'2 and weighing in at around 78kg. No matter what I have eaten in the past, I have never seemed to be able to bulk up. I've now started the gym and started eating LOTS, and I'm actually quite enjoying it. The 2 ltrs of milk is a new addition, to help me get extra cals, plus I'm a big lover of milk!

(Breakfast Meal 1)
6.30 - 7.00am

2 x boiled eggs w. 2 slices of wholemeal bread w. margarine
Bowl of oats w. whole fat milk and honey
Piece of fruit
1 pint of whole fat milk

(School Lunch Meal 2)
10.00 11am

Usually consists of white rice, chicken and fried egg
Piece of fruit
Water/Fruit juice (whatever is available)

(School Afternoon Meal 3)
13.00 16.00

Pasta tuna/chicken salad with vegetables
1 pint of whole fat milk

(Home time Meal 4)
16.00 18.00

Chicken sandwich w. salad and low fat mayonnaise
1 pint of whole fat milk

(Dinner - Meal 5)
18.00 20.00

Chicken w. sweet potatoes and brown rice
Fruit juice

(Pre-bed Meal 6)
22.00 23.00

1 x pint of whole fat milk
Trying to lose weight so have changed my diet and been on it about 3 weeks now. Any advice appreciated.

Breakfast: Porridge, made with semi-skimmed milk + about a tea spoon of honey.

Snack: small amount of fruit

Lunch: If I have to eat in at work (3 days a week atm, but soon going down to 2) - normally Jacket potato with cheese (most healthy option I have), followed by fruit or yogurt. If not eating in it will be left over dinner from night before + fruit (banana, pears, raisins), or vegetable couscous, or crackers with reduced fat cream cheese and fruit and sometimes some brazil/cashew nuts.

Afternoon snacks: sometimes 2 crackers with cheese if not had at lunch, or fruit, but normally nothing.

Dinner:
I should note my bf is vegan + we normally eat together hence lack of meat...

A whole variety, including: vegetable stir fry (with chickpeas) - I sometimes add turkey/chicken to mine, and have this with rice, sometimes white, sometimes brown.
One pot rice - veg, cashew nuts, rice, butter beans.
Vegetable Fajitas
Occasionally (Like once a week or less) veggie burger or fish cake + some chips or new potatoes + veg
Loads of different vegetable curries, sweet potato ones, aubergine ones etc with rice.
Pasta (again try of keep this to once a week or less) with home made vegetable + tomato sauce, again with some kind of beans.
Tagine - couscous + veg + chickpeas
Vegetable stew
Lentil dhal with rice

Evening snacks: Chocolate :colondollar: I was literally eating the equivalent of a huge share size bar every day before I started this and know that's what put the weight on. At the moment I have split up all my xmas chocolate into roughly 150kcal bags and have one a night (much improved on 1000+ cals from choc a day) ... but probably room for improvement here.

Drinks: Normally water, occasionally no added sugar squash, sometimes glass of milk. I don't like hot drinks.

Exercise: Gym or class at the gym 3x a week, atm, looking to build this up to 4/5 days a week by including swimming and doing c25k.

So I think I eat a large variety of veg, bit worried about protein levels + think I have a bit too much cheese but trying to work on that... any others criticisms/suggestions? This all goes downhill though when I visit home normally when I get cooked 'my favourite meals' because I'm home type thing, lots of treats etc, although I don't go home very often.
Original post by chocaddict
Trying to lose weight so have changed my diet and been on it about 3 weeks now. Any advice appreciated.

Breakfast: Porridge, made with semi-skimmed milk + about a tea spoon of honey.

Snack: small amount of fruit

Lunch: If I have to eat in at work (3 days a week atm, but soon going down to 2) - normally Jacket potato with cheese (most healthy option I have), followed by fruit or yogurt. If not eating in it will be left over dinner from night before + fruit (banana, pears, raisins), or vegetable couscous, or crackers with reduced fat cream cheese and fruit and sometimes some brazil/cashew nuts.

Afternoon snacks: sometimes 2 crackers with cheese if not had at lunch, or fruit, but normally nothing.

Dinner:
I should note my bf is vegan + we normally eat together hence lack of meat...

A whole variety, including: vegetable stir fry (with chickpeas) - I sometimes add turkey/chicken to mine, and have this with rice, sometimes white, sometimes brown.
One pot rice - veg, cashew nuts, rice, butter beans.
Vegetable Fajitas
Occasionally (Like once a week or less) veggie burger or fish cake + some chips or new potatoes + veg
Loads of different vegetable curries, sweet potato ones, aubergine ones etc with rice.
Pasta (again try of keep this to once a week or less) with home made vegetable + tomato sauce, again with some kind of beans.
Tagine - couscous + veg + chickpeas
Vegetable stew
Lentil dhal with rice

Evening snacks: Chocolate :colondollar: I was literally eating the equivalent of a huge share size bar every day before I started this and know that's what put the weight on. At the moment I have split up all my xmas chocolate into roughly 150kcal bags and have one a night (much improved on 1000+ cals from choc a day) ... but probably room for improvement here.

Drinks: Normally water, occasionally no added sugar squash, sometimes glass of milk. I don't like hot drinks.

Exercise: Gym or class at the gym 3x a week, atm, looking to build this up to 4/5 days a week by including swimming and doing c25k.

So I think I eat a large variety of veg, bit worried about protein levels + think I have a bit too much cheese but trying to work on that... any others criticisms/suggestions? This all goes downhill though when I visit home normally when I get cooked 'my favourite meals' because I'm home type thing, lots of treats etc, although I don't go home very often.

It's great that you've cut back on the chocolate (I've done the same thing as you with my Christmas chocolate, haha) but saying whether the diet is good or bad is pretty useless without knowing how many calories you're eating. You're eating a lot of fruit, which is good for vitamins etc but is actually quite high in calories. Plus you don't mention what your portion sizes are like. Most of the foods you're eating sound fine, but if you're eating too much of anything you won't lose weight.

Hope that makes sense!
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
It's great that you've cut back on the chocolate (I've done the same thing as you with my Christmas chocolate, haha) but saying whether the diet is good or bad is pretty useless without knowing how many calories you're eating. You're eating a lot of fruit, which is good for vitamins etc but is actually quite high in calories. Plus you don't mention what your portion sizes are like. Most of the foods you're eating sound fine, but if you're eating too much of anything you won't lose weight.

Hope that makes sense!

Yeah you have a good point. I had been roughly calculating cals up until now and trying to stay around 1300, but have just started tracking it all on daily plate on livestrong to get a more accurate idea and think I will continue doing that :smile:
Hey, not been much activity here lately but was looking for some insight into what I'm eating.

I'm a 22 year old, male, 5 ft 9, 72 kilos/158lbs and estimated 20-23 bodyfat percentage. Working on 'starting strength' at the moment and looking to gain lean mass. I have worked out my nutritional needs (shown at the bottom of each picture) and have it split by training days and non-training days. I have posted screen shots of the last two days of my eating and was looking to see if I am on the right track. There are somethings in there such as the soup which I was really just eating to get rid off! And number 6 is snacks so have been consumed throughout the day. Anyway have a look and tell me what you think :smile:

Training Day.png Non-training Day.png
Reply 392
Original post by Rian1988
Hey, not been much activity here lately but was looking for some insight into what I'm eating.

I'm a 22 year old, male, 5 ft 9, 72 kilos/158lbs and estimated 20-23 bodyfat percentage. Working on 'starting strength' at the moment and looking to gain lean mass. I have worked out my nutritional needs (shown at the bottom of each picture) and have it split by training days and non-training days. I have posted screen shots of the last two days of my eating and was looking to see if I am on the right track. There are somethings in there such as the soup which I was really just eating to get rid off! And number 6 is snacks so have been consumed throughout the day. Anyway have a look and tell me what you think :smile:

Training Day.png Non-training Day.png

Seems fairly decent but the protein is perhaps a tad excessive (unless you just particularly enjoy eating that much and have the money for it). I would even drop fats slightly too since 120g seems a lot but again, this is partly an issue of taste - I would rather have more carbs and drop the fats and proteins back a bit.
guys i need advice
i've been on a health kick for about 6 months now and i've lost a weight from doing it when i'm slim as it is and can't afford to lose anymore weight
because i'm cut out most bad food i'm not consuming enough calories for my height (5ft9) which is supposed to be 1750 calories so need to find a way to eat more calories without eating junk and i'm sooo fussy so i can't just cram a load of veg in my mouth. nor meat as i'm a vegetarian.
what can i dooo?
this is my diet on an average day
breakfast - porridge (pure rolled oats with water and a few spoonfuls of artificial sweetner) - 150 calories
snack - portion of dried strawberries - 70 calories
dinner - brown bread and vegan butter - 260 calories
tea - changes a lot but for example yesterday i had pasta - 175 calories
snack - usually 2 snackajacks rice cakes - 88 calories
supper - peanut butter on 2 rice cakes - 248 calories
and an apple - 55 calories

see this is only 1046 calories?

x
Reply 394
Original post by Laura1234567890
guys i need advice
i've been on a health kick for about 6 months now and i've lost a weight from doing it when i'm slim as it is and can't afford to lose anymore weight
because i'm cut out most bad food i'm not consuming enough calories for my height (5ft9) which is supposed to be 1750 calories so need to find a way to eat more calories without eating junk and i'm sooo fussy so i can't just cram a load of veg in my mouth. nor meat as i'm a vegetarian.
what can i dooo?
this is my diet on an average day
breakfast - porridge (pure rolled oats with water and a few spoonfuls of artificial sweetner) - 150 calories
snack - portion of dried strawberries - 70 calories
dinner - brown bread and vegan butter - 260 calories
tea - changes a lot but for example yesterday i had pasta - 175 calories
snack - usually 2 snackajacks rice cakes - 88 calories
supper - peanut butter on 2 rice cakes - 248 calories
and an apple - 55 calories

see this is only 1046 calories?

x

The easiest way to increase your calories is to increase portion size gradually. Start by having a slightly bigger breakfast.
You can also get some liquid calories. Try making milkshakes or smoothies. This would also enable you to include more green veg and protein which I see your diet is severely lacking in. If you blend some unflavoured protein powder and some kale or spinach into a smoothie with things you like you will be on the road to a better diet.
I tend to try and eat paleo around exams as it feels better for me than eating random other stuff- my body doesn't respond well to bread, pasta or dairy so I keep those to a minimum (although pizza just HAS to happen every couple of weeks!). I'm not trying to lose weight so I just eat as much as I like, but it would be difficult to put on fat with the diet as there really aren't many (if any) refined foods.

Generally, the day goes a little like...

Salmon, onions and salad for breakfast
Beef burger patties and salad for lunch, with peppers, a banana and probably a few chips
Whatever I want in the evening - this is usually chicken with something like tomatoes and salad, and if I'm hugely hungry I'll add wraps.
I also stew apples with vanilla and cinnamon a LOT, they're pretty addictive (and cheap! YES!)
Mainly though, eating very little refined foods feels better for me.
My characteristics
Weigh: 80kg
Height: 6ft, 0
who works out 4-5 times a week. Also my daily routine is pretty moderate in terms of work load.

Don't have much knowledge in this body building stuff so please help, i need someone to double check some figures before i start bulking up muscle.

Calories: 2350
Protein: 230
Carbs: 260
Fats: 50

Today my food intake was:

Breakfast

---------------------------------PROTEIN---CALORIES---FAT-------CARBS
Nido powered milk (400ml) -------16g-------326kcal-----18g--------22g
Protein shake (400ml)-------------45g-------563kcal----4g----------89g

Eggs x3 --------------------------18g-------222kcal----15g---------3g
Beans ----------------------------4.7g-------65kcal-----1.5g-------10g

Lunch

Chicken stuffed
with ham and cheese-------------15.6g-------289kcal---16.6g------12.1g
---------------------------------------------------------Sat 3.7
Oven chips------------------------3.5g-------237kcal----8.7g-------36.2g
---------------------------------------------------------Sat 1.2g
Eggs x3 --------------------------18g--------222kcal----15g----------3g
Beans ----------------------------4.7g--------65kcal-----1.5g---------10g
Veg-------------------------------6.0g--------71kcal------1g----------9.7g

Nido powered milk (400ml) -------16g-------326kcal-----18g--------22g
Protein shake (400ml)-------------45g-------563kcal----4g----------89g

TOTAL--------------------------192.5g-----2947kcal---102g-------287g

Not good at planning my diet as you can see, I will try and work on that now.

Since I'm bulking up should this be more? :s-smilie:
Reply 397
Original post by YamahaLondon

Weigh: 80kg
Height: 6ft, 0
who works out 4-5 times a week. Also my daily routine is pretty moderate in terms of work load.

Don't have much knowledge in this body building stuff so please help, i need someone to double check some figures before i start bulking up muscle.

Calories: 2350
Protein: 230
Carbs: 260
Fats: 50

Nobody can tell you precisely since it is an individual thing but it is overwhelming likely that for a 6ft, 12 and a half stone 18 year old guy who trains 5 days a week - 2350 calories is going to be insufficient for putting on weight. It is probably insufficient for maintaining your weight.

Also, the protein in your diet is excessive. I would drop it back to 140-180 tops and increase your carb intake and maybe even your fats too.

To work out your total energy needs, you just have to watch the scales and see what happens. In your case, I would keep adding calories to your diet until you start to put on weight. You basically want to start off at a point where you are eating as many calories as possible yet still maintaining your weight and then add 250-500 to that figure to gain weight at a modest rate. Don't be surprised if you start eating more and your weight doesn't shoot straight up - you may have to raise your intake over 3000 calories to maintain a steady rate of weight gain. I would just start raising it up gradually.
Thought I'd contribute. For starters I train 5 days a week (weights and light cardio) and on one off day I run home from work (around 3 miles) I'm a male in their 20s, 6 feet tall and around 12 stone 5. I work stupidly long shifts at work (8-9 and 8-8 3 or 4 times a week) in an office environment. A normal weekday menu consists of:

7.30am Breakfast- bowl of porridge with handful of blueberries

10.30am banana and satsuma

13.30pm 35-50g of monkey nuts or blanched peanuts and raisins

3.30pm lunch 1 can of tuna and 135g mixed salad, banana, satsuma

6.30pm Banana, satsuma, 35g nuts

10.00pm Dinner usually mince, potatoes and carrots.

I drink around 4 litres of water and 5 cups of white tea throughout the day.

I work out at the gym around for an hour and a half and have a protein shake after. Basically, I'm wanting to shed fat round my middle more than anything. Anything I should add? Am I eating too much fruit?

Any nutritionists feel free to help!

Peace.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Weight: 9 stone 5 Ibs
Height: 5ft 6 in
Calories: roughly 1000 calories a day

Breakfast:i normally have a grapefruit or a bowl of all bran with banana for breakfast. I drink a very small volume of semi skimmed milk with it.
Lunch: sometimes i don't bother with it, other times i'll have a salad or a sandwich probably. Today i had 2 boiled eggs
Dinner: Normally lean meat with salad and then either potatoes,rice or a wholemeal pitta- or a weight watchers ready meal with veg.
Snacks: If i haven't made my 1000 calories i'll have a chocolate biscuit or a packet of crisps. I'll probably have fruit throughout the day as well
Drinks: I'm very bad for not drinking much. I normally drink pepsi max or diluting juice.
I normally go swimming a few times a week but i haven't been this week because im at home (if i do go swimming i add on whatever calories i burned to my meals)
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest