The Student Room Group

The big "critique my diet" thread

Post your diet here for people to analyse.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This is my typical diet (i'm a vegeterian btw) and am wanting to loose weight therefore cutting back on carbs. Just want to know if this diet is actually healthy or if i could improve it?
On a typical day....

Breakfast: Porridge or Special K
Lunch: Steamed vegetables
Snacks (if any): fruit
Small meal 1: Heinz soup
Evening meal: Steamed vegetables with Quorn chicken fillets (the quorn is in order to get protein into my diet)
The only thing i will drink throughout the day is water....
I also try to eat a few smaller meals instead of one main meal at dinner time

is this a good diet for weight loss? if not then how can i improve?
(obviously combined with everyday excercise)
Thanks.
Reply 2
If you're going to watch your carbs, I like the idea of eating them primarily in the morning to give you energy throughout the day. Your lunch could probably be more substantial and you'd probably be better making soup if you can than eating canned soup. You can make soup once a week to last your throughout... no preservatives, tastier, and healthier. You may want to consider adding in some good fats and calcium, stringed cheese, yogurt, avocados, nuts etc... Overall though, it seems like decent diet. Good luck!
Reply 3
I think you need to be eating a bit more, steamed veg for lunch isn't enough. You diet needs to be more varied in balanced, where's the dairy? You'll definitely lose weight but this isn't the most healthy way of going about it.
Reply 4
Original post by Add!ction
I think you need to be eating a bit more, steamed veg for lunch isn't enough. You diet needs to be more varied in balanced, where's the dairy? You'll definitely lose weight but this isn't the most healthy way of going about it.

Haha. Just 'a bit more'?

Jeeez.
Reply 5
Original post by concubine
Haha. Just 'a bit more'?

Jeeez.

Well, let's face it, it's the only way to lose weight fast. I don't advocate it but you can't control what people do or do not eat.
Reply 6
Original post by Add!ction
Well, let's face it, it's the only way to lose weight fast. I don't advocate it but you can't control what people do or do not eat.

No. But you can let them know that they're being stupid and that there's at least a 9/10 chance they'll simply put the weight back on if they go starving themselves for a period.
Reply 7
Original post by concubine
No. But you can let them know that they're being stupid and that there's at least a 9/10 chance they'll simply put the weight back on if they go starving themselves for a period.

I don't think people will ever put health before weight/image. I didn't exactly say 'yes that's a really healthy diet, you'll definitely live another couple of years eating that way'. I simply pointed out a few ways in which the diet could be improved.
Reply 8
The issue is that it's okay to 'lose weight fast' depending on your metabolism and size and other factors at the moment but it's not really a 'healthy' way of losing it. What happens if you move away and eat a little bit more and then you might put it back on again? Apparently eating every 3 hours is good...

Your breakfast is good and bananas make a brilliant snack (as well as nuts, other fruit, ryvita etc) although I wouldn't recommend just steamed veg for lunch. There needs to be more protein in there and a little of fat. Obviously I'm not suggesting a load of full fat chocolate, bacon etc but you need the key 'food' areas in order to maintain a healthy weight. Protein's also in like pulses, lentils, meat, eggs, beans and seeds. I also recommend some fish in there!

It's good to plan to lose weight but realistically you can't live off of this day in and day out so it's best to stick to eating habits you can maintain - and that also you're happy to eat. It sounds very plain. Remember eating healthily doesn't have to be boring! Look up low fat recipes etc that still have flavour in them.
Reply 9
Original post by kimkcat
This is my typical diet (i'm a vegeterian btw) and am wanting to loose weight therefore cutting back on carbs. Just want to know if this diet is actually healthy or if i could improve it?
On a typical day....

Breakfast: Porridge or Special K
Lunch: Steamed vegetables
Snacks (if any): fruit
Small meal 1: Heinz soup
Evening meal: Steamed vegetables with Quorn chicken fillets (the quorn is in order to get protein into my diet)
The only thing i will drink throughout the day is water....
I also try to eat a few smaller meals instead of one main meal at dinner time

is this a good diet for weight loss? if not then how can i improve?
(obviously combined with everyday excercise)
Thanks.

Personally I wouldn't touch Special K, yes it has low calories but it often has rubbish ingredients. Oats are more natural and will fill you up for longer, I'd stick to porridge or other natural cereals if you want cereals for breakfast.

I'd also consider thinking outside the box for breakfast. Why not try a salad or a more lunch-type meal for breakfast sometimes?

Lunch: Sounds good but make sure you're getting enough to eat. I'd throw some nuts in there too- almonds, cashews, macadamias- to get some natural fats. Don't eat too much nuts but they might help complement your vegetables. Also try some cheese perhaps, halloumi is my fave for things like this.

Snacks: Fruit is good but watch your sugar. If you are hungry and have too much fruit you can feel sick and go on a sugar crash. Some low-sugar fruits are apricots (not dried), kiwis and passionfruits. Other ideas for snacks: natural yogurt with fruit, as the protein will make the sugar more manageable. Carrot sticks and hummus. Celery and peanut butter. Scrambled egg.

Small meal: Soup is okay but if you're getting it from a can you're getting 'dead' food. If you like cooking make your own soup instead. If not, consider getting fresh packaged soup (it's stored in the fridge section in sachets or pots instead of cans).

Evening meal: Good

I think you're doing well x
Reply 10
The best diet you can get is a-level exams if you work hard. I managed to lose 6 kg in 2 weeks, implying i ate everything i could, for example i was in pizza hut or equavalent every day.
Hi i am 15 and I weigh 140lbs/10stones and I am looking to bulk to about 11stones.

My height is 5 ft 6 1/2

Is this a good sample bulk diet? (some meals empty and would like you to recommend a meal) thanks :

Breakfast (10am): Oats in water. 1 pint of Semi Skimmed Milk. Tuna Sandwich (Wholemeal bread)

Snack (11.30am): Please recommend

Lunch (1pm) Before Workout: Chicken Breast Grilled, Plate of Brown Rice with vegetables and 1 pint of Semi Skimmed Milk

After (3.30/45pm) After Workout: Tuna with remaining rice and Milk

Snack (5.30pm): Please recommend

Dinner (7.45pm): Chicken Wrap with salad and vegetables. Bio Yoghurt and Milk.

Snack Before bed (9.30pm): 2 Spoon's of Cottage cheese

****Please Note****: I highly dislike eggs (can't stand them) should be some sort of replacement, Don't want to take protein shakes as of yet and I also drink 3l of water every day.

Thanks
Reply 12
Add a gallon of milk a day. Done.
Reply 13
I'm new to bodybuilding and i've just quickly made a diet for myself. I haven't calculated micro nutrients etc but any advice about what i should change in my diet will be appreciated. I'm not going to be taking protein shakes or supplements.

By the way, i'm 16, 6'2 and 70 kg.

Breakfast 11:00 - Oatmeal with milk and banana. x2 scrambled eggs with x1 slice of wholemeal toast.

Lunch 1:00 - 1 Chicken breast, mashed potato, an apple, milk.

Snack 3:00 - 1 cheese and ham toastie, milk, an orange.

Snack 5:00 - 1 cheese sandwich, milk, an orange

Dinner 7:00 - red meat / fish, quinoa, green beans.

Snack 10:00 - Oatmeal, milk, a banana.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Looks good to me, more protein maybe, how much milk you going to be consuming per day?
You don't have to eat multiple meals a day for best gains, meal frequency doesn't make a difference, so don't feel pressured to eat lots of small meals if bigger meals spaced out is more convenient for you
Gonna need more calories and protein than that
Reply 16
Original post by HFerguson
Looks good to me, more protein maybe, how much milk you going to be consuming per day?
You don't have to eat multiple meals a day for best gains, meal frequency doesn't make a difference, so don't feel pressured to eat lots of small meals if bigger meals spaced out is more convenient for you

Thanks. I think i'll just have 1 cup every meal. I can feel quite full easily so lots of small meals is easier for me I think.

Could you recommend what else I could eat for more protein? Because i'm having a lot of cheese and milk already and prob can't afford to eat any more meat every day.
Original post by hypanx
Thanks. I think i'll just have 1 cup every meal. I can feel quite full easily so lots of small meals is easier for me I think.

Could you recommend what else I could eat for more protein? Because i'm having a lot of cheese and milk already and prob can't afford to eat any more meat every day.

Grab some whey from myprotein.co.uk. Cheap as anything. As much as I'm loathe to consume the stuff and would much rather be eating more proper food my bank balance doesn't like that course of action.
Reply 18
just wondering:

i weigh about 10stone2lbs and i am currently working out to lose a bit of fat but mostly to tone up.

on a typical weekday my diet goes something like this:

breakfast
special k

morning snack
4 wheatcrackers with philadelphia
banana
tea

lunch
usually homemade cooked food from the night before such as spag bol or cottage pie
yoghurt or custard

afternoon
belvita breakfast biscuit or special k cereal bar
tea

dinner
something along the lines of sweet n sour chicken with wholegrain rice,chicken kiev and mash potato,curry.totally depends.

and i always have a bowl of cereal at night usually after my workouts.

i workout 7 days a week.
it just occured to me maybe i am doing too much and not eating enough?
just need a second opinion??

thanks.
Original post by Robaij

just need a second opinion??

thanks.

Eat more protein and less sugar

You're welcome.

Quick Reply

Latest