The Student Room Group

Nursing applicants 2013 intake

Scroll to see replies

Heyy everyone :smile: i'm starting at northumbria in march 2013 to do childrens nursing! soooo excited! cant wait :smile:
Reply 61
Hey good luck everyone, im off to bradford uni for adult nursing this year, i also applied to hudds (rejected after interview due to experience), leeds met and manchester (withdrawn). If you need any tips and advice feel free to pm me xx
Reply 62
Original post by Vivaviolin77
Fill really excited now to start the ucas application process :smile:

Tell me about it! I just want to get rockin and rollin with i itt now, im already to start preping for it, its just the bloomin waiting!!
Original post by Kim_maria
Tell me about it! I just want to get rockin and rollin with i itt now, im already to start preping for it, its just the bloomin waiting!!

Same I looking at nhs article and research the course in more depth
sent my personal statements to my teacher and now need to send it to the ucas day at my school

What prep have you done?
Reply 64
Same I looking at nhs article and research the course in more depth
sent my personal statements to my teacher and now need to send it to the ucas day at my school

What prep have you done?

im doing a course called the k101 run by the open uni as I've been out of education for a while now, i also need to do maths gcse again as i only got a d the first time round. I've written my ps and had people check it so thats all set to go! I read nursing d nursing student blogs, nursing job descriptions on the nhs careers site, i'd rec a book called 'confessions of a male nurse' by michael alexander as that was a good insight into nursing life. Im a special educational needs teaching assistant and a childrens carer so have managed to pick up some experience there. Ive done all this because by the time i (hopefully) start the course il be 23 so i just want to get the ball rolling!!

Xx
Reply 65
Hey'
i applying for children nursing for entry 2013
hoping I got CDDD and hoping to study at bucks' UWl, middlesex , London south bank , and maybe kings college

Can you apply to a universoty with higher entry requiremets ???

Hey

I am going to apply to study Child Nursing at Bucks New University and UWL, too. I got rejected by New Bucks for this year but I hope nextyear will be better. I am doing it all by myself so that's going to be difficult. I passed K101 last October and hopefully I am going to be volunteering at my local Children's Centre from September on.

Good luck everyone!
Reply 66
I start NORTHUMBRIA in March 2013 to do ADULT NURSING.

Feel free to message me or add me on Facebook (Leanne King from Newton Aycliffe)
Keep trying I applying through school and Which I have gone back too and I am really nervous since i don't have the right grades for some

Good luck maybe I will see you at UWL
Reply 68
I'm hopefully (fingers crossed all goes well) doing an adult nursing course leading onto midwifery. I'm looking at york mainly as well as nottingham but unsure about any others i've been researching and i can't seem to decide :frown: however i'm currently doing home care which will help with my application- college is full-time but anything that helps me out then i'm up for it :smile: anyone know of any other universities that are rated excellent for nursing? Hope your all doing alright in your studies :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 69
Hello people,

Just about to start an access in health, with a view to studying mental health next year. Can't believe I'm thinking of next year already when I've not even started this year yet, though glad I'm not alone! Think I'm gonna stay local and try for Bournemouth first, but as yet, still undecided on alternatives. Really excited and nervous all rolled into one, at 43 it's been a while since I studied last.

Anyway, enough for now. No doubt catch up around here in the coming weeks and months to exchange a good helping of moral support (and keep a check on everyone's sanity :redface: )

Cheers guys,
Sean
Reply 70
Original post by sophieleannexo
Hey, I'm applying for 2013 but deferring till 2014 so I can get lots of experience! I want to do learning disabilities nursing and social work! What about you?

Sophie.

hi there do you realise that there is no such thing a a learning disabilty nurse anymore - there is only mental health, child nursing and adult nursing - they recatergorised them last year
Reply 71
Original post by NatashaB5051
Hey there I'm torn at the moment I want to do children's but places are so limited so Im thinking of applying for adult and then doing 18 month on top for children. Yes I am trying to get as much work experience as I can as its a must for nursing courses now. Got told that a lot of people have to apply 3 or 4 times for child nursing.

where you looking to go?
Natasha

hi there are you aware that you can only do one type of nursing if you want to branch out into another area of nursing you have to go back to uni for another three years and do the one you want to do on top - so you want to do adult thats three years but you want to also do child on top then you have to go back to uni for another three years
Reply 72
Original post by Mariarghh
Hello
I really want to do Nursing :biggrin: Preferably child, but im hoping to do a full Adult degree, then a 18 month Child degree meaning i'd be qualified for both!

hi there you can't do a top up degree anymore in nursing - you have to do the full three years again
So excited to start
Reply 74
I'm wanting to do adult nursing! I was going to apply this year, but i'm thinking about deferring till next year because i haven't had much luck getting experience (only worked in a care home for a while) :/
Original post by osbalda
hi there do you realise that there is no such thing a a learning disabilty nurse anymore - there is only mental health, child nursing and adult nursing - they recatergorised them last year

You can still do a LD Nursing degree.
Reply 76
Original post by osbalda

That's not true.
Reply 77
Original post by osbalda

Hello,
Im rather confused by this...
Firstly Learning Disability Nursing is very different to all the other branches of nursing, so Im not sure how they would include it into one of the other branches, without having to add a couple more years onto a nursing degree. Secondly, while a LD nursing degree is not as widely offered as the others it is still taught at ALOT of Universities, and their all still running it next year....
Also 18 months conversions are still being offered, while employers may be reluctant to fund such a course they can still be taken and as for having to study for another 3 years to be qualified in another branch of nursing... is totally ridiculous as ALL nurses do the same 1st year foundation stage before going into their specalized branch, so why would they need to repeat a year of what they will have already passed????
You can also combine 2 branches of nursing at some unis by studying for 4 years full time as opposed to 3....
Where have you been getting this information from Osbalda?
(edited 11 years ago)
Is it impossible to be able to 200 ucas points
Reply 79
Original post by Kim_maria
Hello,
Im rather confused by this...
Firstly Learning Disability Nursing is very different to all the other branches of nursing, so Im not sure how they would include it into one of the other branches, without having to add a couple more years onto a nursing degree. Secondly, while a LD nursing degree is not as widely offered as the others it is still taught at ALOT of Universities, and their all still running it next year....
Also 18 months conversions are still being offered, while employers may be reluctant to fund such a course they can still be taken and as for having to study for another 3 years to be qualified in another branch of nursing... is totally ridiculous as ALL nurses do the same 1st year foundation stage before going into their specalized branch, so why would they need to repeat a year of what they will have already passed????
You can also combine 2 branches of nursing at some unis by studying for 4 years full time as opposed to 3....
Where have you been getting this information from Osbalda?

hi there my info comes from universities and my father who is a nurse and taught the diploma for people to become a nurse until they changed it to degree level - i apologise with regards to the ld part as this comes under the mental health section and was advised that i would be included in that section and not as an alone part - with regards to the top up - you can only do a top-up if you have a diploma in nursing then you do a two year degree at uni - the bit where i mentioned the bit about another three years at uni is if you already have a nursing degree - this came direct from 5 universities that visited our college in march this year - with your point about combing two branches of nursing i am aware of a few unis that do it but it will be extremely difficult as you have to complete 750 hrs of work placements in years 1 and 2 and 899 in year 3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending