The Student Room Group

how do you find Maths SL ?

Hi!

I just finished pre-IB class, and as you know the time for choosing subjects has come. I just have got one doubt : Maths. I'm not a type of a mathematician(but I realised that with a dose of hard-work I got less problems) and I'm afraid that I won't do well in SL course. Last time our class was visited by Maths Studies teacher who said us that SL is The same as HL but HL got additional options, so for her someone who received 3(in my country there are grades 1-6) as a final mark should not go to SL. I need this specific course because I want to study law and as I checked Maths Studies are unpreferrable. What do you think about SL? I know that I will have to work hard and harder, but the general question is if it is avalaible for "mortals"?
I don't think maths SL is too difficult and it is no where near the standard nor commitment required for HL. Obviously doing maths studies would be easier but I think you should try SL for a while and if it gets too difficult it is very easy to change to studies in the first months of IB if your school permits this.
Well until 6th July I can't really be certain, because for all I know I might have got a 2, but for me, Maths SL was by no means impossible. Maths is not at all my strongest subject, and I often struggle with it, but I feel like I managed to do SL without any major problems, even if there were a few moments when I wished I had taken studies. My advice would be to go for SL, because it is nothing like as crazy hard as HL, and is achievable for most people, I think. And anyway, there's always the option to drop to studies later on if you find it too difficult.

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending