The Student Room Group

Should families under 25 lose housing benefit?

Scroll to see replies

I think there should be a mandatory retirement age so that elderly people aren't taking up the jobs that young people need, so fewer young people would need to rely on housing benefit - but the pensions for the elderly people must be maintained at a sensible rate that means the people can survive comfortably on them, not slashed like the government are doing. They're going at it from the wrong angle.
Reply 81
Original post by madders94
I think there should be a mandatory retirement age so that elderly people aren't taking up the jobs that young people need, so fewer young people would need to rely on housing benefit - but the pensions for the elderly people must be maintained at a sensible rate that means the people can survive comfortably on them, not slashed like the government are doing. They're going at it from the wrong angle.

I'm interested in how mandatory retirement would be beneficial in our ageing population. Also older workers tend to be more skilled so forcing them to retire would have a tremendously detrimental effect?
Reply 82
Original post by Jammyj12
I'm interested in how mandatory retirement would be beneficial in our ageing population. Also older workers tend to be more skilled so forcing them to retire would have a tremendously detrimental effect?

Say you have a skilled old person on £50k, and two young people on benefits. You could replace the old person with the two young people and pay the old person's pension. You'd be paying more for the pension, sure, but since they were going to retire anyway you're only looking at a few years of it, but the increase in earnings from the youngsters over their working lives will counter that. Plus other benefits of youngsters having something to do, lower unemployment etc.

We have so many people living so much longer and they want to carry on working, but this means that there are so many younger people who are forced to go on benefits because there aren't enough jobs. A mandatory retirement age would see the elderly people able to live comfortably on a pension, and would mean that younger people find it easier to get into work or training because there are more jobs there.

And there is also the fact that you could make it so that no immigrants can get benefits unless they've been working in this country for at least ten years, but they seem to be the untouchables at the moment, allowed to carry on scrounging as much as they like.
Reply 84
Original post by Hopple
Say you have a skilled old person on £50k, and two young people on benefits. You could replace the old person with the two young people and pay the old person's pension. You'd be paying more for the pension, sure, but since they were going to retire anyway you're only looking at a few years of it, but the increase in earnings from the youngsters over their working lives will counter that. Plus other benefits of youngsters having something to do, lower unemployment etc.

I agree the idea in princeple makes sense, however a companies main interest more often than not is the make profit so attempting to force then to force there workers into retirement and the replace them with people that may need a great deal of training which is costly and a risk to the company as after training they may leave. There would also be very large admin costs of hireing workers. All the additional cost and admin it would bring could cause Multinationals to leave and therefore lead to even larger unemployment.
Reply 85
I agree the idea in princeple makes sense, however a companies main interest more often than not is the make profit so attempting to force then to force there workers into retirement and the replace them with people that may need a great deal of training which is costly and a risk to the company as after training they may leave. There would also be very large admin costs of hireing workers. All the additional cost and admin it would bring could cause Multinationals to leave and therefore lead to even larger unemployment.

I think in small companies, this would be too much to ask. But for a large company with a lot of tiers, you can just have a chain of promotions, all of which would happen anyway, and the retirement would have happened anyway - it isn't as if they'd need extra infrastructure.
Reply 86
Original post by Hopple
I think in small companies, this would be too much to ask. But for a large company with a lot of tiers, you can just have a chain of promotions, all of which would happen anyway, and the retirement would have happened anyway - it isn't as if they'd need extra infrastructure.

Yes the retirement would happen eventually but if you force this on companies, who to allow earlier retirement may have to alter there pension scheme which would again increase admin costs, the larger ones able to move to a different country with less regulation ect. It doesn't make economic sense, for the individual in the short term yes but not long term
Reply 87
Yes the retirement would happen eventually but if you force this on companies, who to allow earlier retirement may have to alter there pension scheme which would again increase admin costs, the larger ones able to move to a different country with less regulation ect. It doesn't make economic sense, for the individual in the short term yes but not long term

Any increase in admin will be dwarfed by the effort to move country :s-smilie:

Not that I'm in favour of forced retirement, I'm on the fence about it, but just giving reasons in favour. My main arguments against it would be that it's unfair to favour someone younger just because of their age, and you're going to make employers more unwilling to hire old people who they were already wary were going to retire soon, but now know they will retire soon. Plus, if someone wants to earn more money that they probably don't/won't need, I see no reason why to whack old people first.
Reply 88
Original post by Hopple
Any increase in admin will be dwarfed by the effort to move country :s-smilie:

Not that I'm in favour of forced retirement, I'm on the fence about it, but just giving reasons in favour. My main arguments against it would be that it's unfair to favour someone younger just because of their age, and you're going to make employers more unwilling to hire old people who they were already wary were going to retire soon, but now know they will retire soon. Plus, if someone wants to earn more money that they probably don't/won't need, I see no reason why to whack old people first.

The sheer scale of the costs especially in an ageing economy would be astronomical it's not just the cost if you take into account the fact that ealier you said that you could replace every elderly worker with two younger, when the statistics that there are two people over 50 for every 1 under it wouldn't be practical the size of the work force would shrink year on year. You would also need some regulation in place if this is for under workers or what stops other more skilled and experienced middle aged worker? I feel that you shouldn't discriminate against a person due to age, the next thing you know elderly people with a house with not all its bedrooms in use will be made to sell up. I feel like we've massively deviated from the question haha
Wow as part of a young family myself I am offended by some of your views.
I live in an expensive area.
We have no family that live locally.
We need to live where we do as it is close to our jobs and university.
We both have part time jobs.

I've just finished Uni and looking at our finances we will have to claim a small amount of housing benefit to afford where we are living. There are no flats in the area that are as cheap as ours. We got told we would have to wait 10+ years for a council flat as we have jobs.

Bit of a sticky situation. I'd prefer to claim the small amount (£30 a week) to help our rent than end up homeless thank you.

I do agree though if people are cheating the system or not looking for jobs then their benefits should be revised, but don't attack families that work and do their damn hardest to afford it but need that little bit of help.
Reply 90
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
1) Well they're Asian. Culturally, you stay with your parents. But why should I have to stay with mine just because they stay with their parents? And they're all married and have kids or are expecting kids. They simply can't afford to move away although they have jobs because house prices and rents are too high. And a few of them are now moving out this year so it wasn't a permanent thing. Only one of my cousins is going to stay with his parents because he can't afford to on his salary. I probably won't move out after uni right away unless my family situation changes.

2) It generally doesn't happen? Sorry to burst your bubble but it does happen. Morals aren't going to solve the answer. Unless we make parents legally responsible for their children until they turn 25, parents won't have any reason other than morals to take their children in again.

3) Graduate pay is higher than minimum wage yeah. But there are still a lot of graduates that can't get these jobs and so are working in minimum wage jobs. I know graduates who are working these kind of minimum wage jobs and and they all believe that their degree is being wasted.

4) Well people are still losing jobs or they may have a business which is in decline. Some parents may just simply want to downsize because they no longer want a big house or don't expect their children to move back in.

5) Well good for you. But may I ask, how have you benefitted from this government?

Im sorry but living in a world where parents legally have to look after their children until 25 is crazy when we consider someone is an adult by law at 18. It seems that you dont want to live at home as opposed to cant live at home and that is an important point. We often have to do things we dont like and living with your parents until you can financially look after yourself is one of them. Why should the state pay for your place jus because your parents are cramping ur style, not fair in my opinion.

This governemnt is putting investment into maths, the sciences and engineering. I studied at college for my level 3 course free of charge and had my travel costs covered by the government, all this as an adult of 21/22. I've almost finished my biology degree then plan to move into teaching. If i just get a 2:1 i can get a £5K grant as well as getting student finance to cover my tuition. They've done fine by me.

The real answer to this is were does the responsibility of the state and the parents lie. I think that you believe the state should take over at 18 where as i think your parents should be investing in your future and your home along side your own efforts.
Original post by Macabre
Im sorry but living in a world where parents legally have to look after their children until 25 is crazy when we consider someone is an adult by law at 18. It seems that you dont want to live at home as opposed to cant live at home and that is an important point. We often have to do things we dont like and living with your parents until you can financially look after yourself is one of them. Why should the state pay for your place jus because your parents are cramping ur style, not fair in my opinion.

This governemnt is putting investment into maths, the sciences and engineering. I studied at college for my level 3 course free of charge and had my travel costs covered by the government, all this as an adult of 21/22. I've almost finished my biology degree then plan to move into teaching. If i just get a 2:1 i can get a £5K grant as well as getting student finance to cover my tuition. They've done fine by me.

The real answer to this is were does the responsibility of the state and the parents lie. I think that you believe the state should take over at 18 where as i think your parents should be investing in your future and your home along side your own efforts.

Thus, a parent has absolutely no legal obligation to take in their children once they turn 18.

Sorry but you have absolutely no idea concerning the situation I am in at the moment. And the government isn't giving me anything at the moment.

They aren't cramping my style. Stop being silly.

Well congrats but not everyone is going to be in the same position that you are in.

In an ideal world, parents would support their children wherever they can but we don't live in an ideal world. We live in the real world.
Original post by Macabre
Just because someone has graduated doesnt entitle them to a free house. if they graduate and dont have a job strait the way they should do as everyone i know have done and move back in with their parents.

Also dont forget this applies only to those 25 and under.

I think if someone is of a young age and doesnt have a job, why should the government pay for someone who can move back in with their parents?

Housing benefit does NOT mean a free house. Lots of people under 25 live at home with their parents in rented accommation or council housing and have a share of rent to pay. Council houses in particular are divided by the number of people in the house and/or how much they earn.
Reply 93
I can't believe this was an actually serious proposition?

Complete *******s.
Reply 94
What's supposed to happen to people under 25 who can't afford rent and have no one to put them up? It's not so bad for people who have parents who are able and willing to give them a place to live, but not everyone is in that position. What are they supposed to do? Will they just end up on the street?
Original post by Macabre
Just because someone has graduated doesnt entitle them to a free house.

What free house? Many peoples housing benefit doesn't cover their full rent.
It will very much depend on what they mean by "exceptions". Until that becomes clear it is hard to comment effectively. Obviously I don't support this but that would be the difference between unpalatable and completely abhorrent.
Original post by OU Student
What free house? Many peoples housing benefit doesn't cover their full rent.

But they could, in almost all cases, have found somewhere that would have been covered by their housing benefit. It certainly isn't a "free house" and a single graduate won't get anything like that under the age of 25.
Original post by inksplodge
It's not just families - it's individuals as well. I'm fully against it. Housing benefit is a lifeline for a lot of people, including new graduates without jobs.

Same here. :yep:
Original post by paddy__power
But they could, in almost all cases, have found somewhere that would have been covered by their housing benefit.

Unlikely now; as housing benefit is based on the 30th percentile. Meaning that if you look at 10 houses, your housing benefit would only cover the cost of 3.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending