The Student Room Group

If a tree fell in a forest and no one was there to here it fall would it make a sound

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Slumpy
Ah. Disagree. Unless you're going all QM, when it happened and didn't happen.

i have found most people disagree, and im not a very mathematical person, it just seems like the most logical explanation to a lot of things, and is a part of everyday life.
Reply 41
Original post by Slumpy
Disagree. And the question simply is which definition we use.

This also sounds like mostly nonsense. Aim for clarity of thought, rather than convolution of phrase.

Haha I dont think were thinking along the same wavelength, it is a question that is simply trying to separate human interpretation from reality i think at the very least that is clear, without any definitions there would be no building blocks for argument, your thinking is very narrow, this question is all about imagination as well as definitions.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by Hitman3161
Haha I dont think were thinking along the same wavelength, it is a question that is simply trying to separate human interpretation from reality i think at the very least that is clear, without any definitions there would be no building blocks for argument, your thinking is very narrow, this question is all about imagination not just definitions.

You've got the wrong end of the stick here. The point I'm making is you need the definition (it's so important that it's all this question boils down to, which is why this is a dull question.) And on the contrary, by allowing definitions as anything, we allow for much more imagination, but in a way that isn't just babbling. (Again, this isn't narrow thinking, it is merely structured.)
Reply 43
Yes, I believe everything that moves makes a sound
erm... ****ing hell, use your academics for something more useful than this, how is this useful to anyone...

Why do you care? who does anyone ****ing care about this question?!?!
Reply 45
You did not answer the question :tongue:. Please contribute to the thread or dont post at all, no one forced you to read!
What tree?
There are two aspects.

My science approach says "yes". A tree falling in the woods with nobody to hear it will create a sound. The tree has potential energy, it then has kinetic energy. When it stops, the kinetic energy becomes heat/sound, etc. So it seems like it would produce a sound wave.

My philosophy approach would be something like "maybe". What is sound? If we see a tree falling, do we just imagine the sound that is produced? Does our brain just make the assumption of what a sound is? So have deaf people just become unable to associate an action with a sound? If you clap, is that a sound, or just what we interpret to feel as sound? In that case, it would be a "no", it does not produce a sound. But what if you have a microphone set up... Does that count? Or is that a bit like Schrodinger's cat? Once you start looking, the outcome is determined. If so, then it's a "yes".
(edited 11 years ago)
perhaps the people who can't hear are under sharingan? far from reality technique

oh god, I need to go to bed now:sleep:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by Slumpy
You've got the wrong end of the stick here. The point I'm making is you need the definition (it's so important that it's all this question boils down to, which is why this is a dull question.) And on the contrary, by allowing definitions as anything, we allow for much more imagination, but in a way that isn't just babbling. (Again, this isn't narrow thinking, it is merely structured.)

Yes i agree with needing a definition to explain reasoning, but the question is deeper then that. We use definitions to explain all kinds of things we perceive going on around us, but i cannot agree that this is a dull question again definitions are perceptions based on what we see hear and do, what differentiates human perception from actual reality that was my point. Of course you could give me some kind of definition for anything, but is it still not based on perception? imagination is the ability to 'think outside the box'. So i feel like you've kinda read me wrong my question is all about human perception, and what happens in the absence of someone being there(does the definition hold true), i'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason, but i wasn't trying to find an absolute reason, because in all honestly i don't know, which is why i think you missed my point
Original post by SillyEddy
There are two aspects.

My science approach says "yes". A tree falling in the woods with nobody to hear it will create a sound. The tree has potential energy, it then has kinetic energy. When it stops, the kinetic energy becomes heat/sound, etc. So it seems like it would produce a sound wave.

My philosophy approach would be something like "maybe". What is sound? If we see a tree falling, do we just imagine the sound that is produced? Does our brain just make the assumption of what a sound is? So have deaf people just become unable to associate an action with a sound? If you clap, is that a sound, or just what we interpret to feel as sound? In that case, it would be a "no", it does not produce a sound. But what if you have a microphone set up... Does that count? Or is that a bit like Schrodinger's cat? Once you start looking, the outcome is determined. If so, then it's a "yes".

You've put it very nicely. 2 ways of looking at it.
This begs the question, are science and philosophy compatible?

yeah! My first intelligent contribution to an intelligent thread :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by SillyEddy
There are two aspects.

This was the kinda answer i was looking for good post :smile:
Reply 52
Original post by kidomo
You've put it very nicely. 2 ways of looking at it.
This begs the question, are science and philosophy compatible?

yeah! My first intelligent contribution to an intelligent thread :biggrin:

Haha yeah i think so its kinda like the saying the history of Science without philosophy is blind and the history of philosophy without science is empty? or words to that effect
Reply 53
1. Well by observing the event, e.g hearing, measuring longitude wave.. Etc force nature to react therefore making a sound. But surely we wouldn't know whether the event has made any noise or not until we or anything else observerd it.
2. Then again the definition of sound, a form of transferring of energy which can only be succeed if there was matter(longlitude wave), so if nothing is there, there won't be a sound.

Then again from common sense I think it will definitely make a sound.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by xiyangliu
Well by observing the event, e.g hearing, measuring longitude wave.. Etc force nature to react. But surely we wouldn't know whether the event made any noise or not until we observer it.

That's the sensible answer, sure we never truly know but do you think the noise produced can be defined on what happens on its own accord or is it defined on how on our own interpretation of it and therefore does it actually exist even if it is being observed?
(edited 11 years ago)
Yes, it does.

This is one of those pseudo-philosophical questions that helps to stroke the egos of a few.
Yes, because, scientifically the formula a crashing tree makes and thereby producing intrinsic sound cell vibrations is FUS RO DAH; thus, the formula dictates that the vibrations produced emit a triangular wave of protons. So even if you aren't around, these protons are still produced.
Reply 57
OP now is not a good time thinking about the philosophy of life :P (2:09 am) then again I am still on skyrim at the moment.

Reply 58
Original post by Lord-Voldemort
Yes, because, scientifically the formula a crashing tree makes and thereby producing intrinsic sound cell vibrations is FUS RO DAH; thus, the formula dictates that the vibrations produced emit a triangular wave of protons. So even if you aren't around, these protons are still produced.

And this energy transferred to our ear therefore triggering ear drums.. Just wondering if no one was there which means no ear drums present. Therefore no sound would be heard. Do remember we defined sound as sth human could hear. But what sound truly is transferring of energy like you said. So. Hm... I would actually say no.

Original post by xiyangliu
And this energy transferred to our ear therefore triggering ear drums.. Just wondering if no one was there which means no ear drums present. Therefore no sound would be heard. Do remember we defined sound as sth human could hear. But what sound truly is transferring of energy like you said. So. Hm... I would actually say no.

The FUS RO DAH formula dictates that the vibrations from such a high intensity sound produces a triangular wave of protons. This is the 'sound', and it exists regardless of whether we are around to hear it or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending