The Student Room Group

Islamabad: Man killed by mob and body set on fire for ripped out Quran pages

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by badcheesecrispy
Good god, Afghanistan is the last place an atheist, or anyone for that matter, should be visiting

Are people actually allowed to visit for holidays at the moment? Cant be the safest of places what with it being 10 years down the line of war

What shocks me is not the Islamic belief which I dont have a problem with, but the brutal lengths muslims appear to go to day in day out, over a book

for my advanced western mind this is just to much to comprehend, how thousands of people can be so ferocious minded as to kill someone for this

:rofl: 'Advanced Western mind', yet doesn't even know how to use apostrophes.
Original post by Dhaal_Chawal
The 'country' didn't allow it, it was an angry mob. Anyway I said it wouldn't have happened 40 years ago because people in pakistan traditionally have followed a non violent form of Islam - but in the last few decades Saudi Arabia have been funding thousands of mosques which preach a form of the religion called 'wahhabism'.. look it up.

It doesnt matter, its still Islam

this is another very common form of trying to take the blame away from islam, its top blame it on a certain sect of Islam

I've heard it before, something happens in Iran- 'Oh well they are shia muslims so not really muslim to most of us'

again we have it here- oh, they practice wahhabism which is a ****ed up version of islam

cant you see how contradictory this is?
Original post by Tahooper
Someone should make a meme out of that :biggrin:

Here you go, I made it :smile:
I might also make a 'scumbag' Muslim version of this meme :colone:

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by im so academic

Why the **** does Pakistan allow Saudi Arabia to fund these disgraceful mosques that allows the killing of innocent people?

SA give them lots of aid but as a condition they are allowed to set up and fund lots of wahhabi mosques. Read this something I found
Original post by B-Man.
:rofl: 'Advanced Western mind', yet doesn't even know how to use apostrophes.

i do but my keyboard is broken at the moment, full stops dont work neither do apostrophes, aswell as a few other keys
Original post by Dhaal_Chawal
SA give them lots of aid but as a condition they are allowed to set up and fund lots of wahhabi mosques. Read this something I found

They should reject the aid. No self-respecting country would take aid that is on the condition of building mosques that preach (and commit) murder.
Reply 46
Original post by Tahooper
I'm getting a bit confused here, so I hope you don't mind answering this - Are you trying to say that the mob who killed the man and set on fire did so not because they were Muslims, but because they were Pakistani?

The blame lies on the culture. However mob shouldn't have reacted by killing the man, appropriate punishment should be laid on them according to Pakistani laws on murder.

These mob/people type who killed the man are very likely to be same as who are not so knowledgeable about Islam as they were fed to them by teacher without explaining them as to why, evidence, so and so. They do not read Qur'an and ahadith, they only follow Islam as told by their teacher and family which in my opinion is totally wrong. They taught them to have strong emotional attachment to Qur'an so anyone who does bad thing to it should be killed. Which then is part of their culture. It's rare in other cultures.

I've met quite a lot of Pakistanis who are like that I described above. Of course majority aren't.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 47
unfortunately what you read isnt always the truth. Police in pakistan are EASILY bribed - im talking something like two hundred rupees (which is like £2).
The one thing i don't understand is who the **** created the sharia Law!! Like it actually contradicts nearly everything Islam is a about!!! I'am sorry for swearing but the problem about Islam itself is that it is divided. there are shias, whassabis, and sunnis... like what is the need!! I know I am a Sunni. But there is no need for it we should all just be muslims and that is it. and i would really want to make Islam the peaceful religion it I was. But i would need a lot of help and sources and stuff. because at the moment Islam is not seen as an amazing religion which I follow. But a religion that is violent, aggressive, really radicalized and more. and i would love to change that but what can a 16 year old girl still in school do!
Reply 49
Those eager to blame this on Islamic scripture should be aware that Bahawalpur has the lowest literacy rate in the sub-continent.
Original post by im so academic
They should reject the aid. No self-respecting country would take aid that is on the condition of building mosques that preach (and commit) murder.

Pakistan needs all the aid it can get. This means it will do whatever it needs to do to get the aid. Its like when you are in poor, they will do whatever they can to survive...
Reply 51
Original post by Rtcw
No. Just no. It's cultural issue. South Asians, especially Pakistanis have a problem with integrating due to cultural differences. South Asians culture that are very family oriented, so it's rare you will see South Asians marrying outside their ethnic group sometimes marrying outside their family (Cousins are included in family) are pretty much impossible, this is reason why cousin marriage is so high. If they can't integrate with South Asians other than family, then how can they integrate with us? Not possible.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen to other ethnic groups, but I'm saying that, from my experience, pretty much any Muslims from ethnic group other than South Asian, will have very little problems with integrating if not at all, they are at roughly same level as any other non-Muslim majority ethnic groups in terms of integrating.

Nice bunch of sterotypes there mate. I'm Pakistani and no one in my family has married their cousins and I have plenty of half white relatives. In the north-west (and some places in London)a lot of the things your saying is true, but outside of that area integration is happening just fine.
(edited 11 years ago)
Is pakistan a safe place to be? Not all of it. But op change the title as this didnt happen in pakistans capital and most liberal city.its misleading.

Do you have absolute freedom of speech there? Ofcourse not, youd be stupid to think otherwise. The state religion is islam duhhh!!! People are starving, short of electricity and ameneties. One little thing will spark violence as people are already fed up with life. So deface the one thing that unites people will piss a lot of people off ALOT. Not saying the person deserved it ofcourse, but dont tread on a scorpion, you'll die.

The country is democratic but it is corrupt. This has nothing to do with religion anyway. Im sure you'll appreciate, people in uk and USA are very much content with all other aspects of their lives. Neither country has christainity as state religion.
Reply 53
Original post by Politricks
That's true, the Qur'an does say that there shouldn't be any compulsion in religion; there are some good teachings in the Qur'an, however, there are also some very controversial teachings in the Qur'an and the sharia.

Such as? Not trying to be a smartass but would like to know, i find religion interesting

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire S A510e
Original post by farhiyaserar
Pakistan needs all the aid it can get. This means it will do whatever it needs to do to get the aid. Its like when you are in poor, they will do whatever they can to survive...

Then I have nothing more to say if that's their justification for effectively advocating murder. Disgusting.
I live next door to a Pakistani.

#justsayin
Reply 56
Original post by Rtcw
The blame lies on the culture. However mob shouldn't have reacted by killing the man, appropriate punishment should be laid on them according to Pakistani laws on murder.

These mob/people type who killed the man are very likely to be same as who are not so knowledgeable about Islam as they were fed to them by teacher without explaining them as to why, evidence, so and so. They do not read Qur'an and ahadith, they only follow Islam as told by their teacher and family which in my opinion is totally wrong. They taught them to have strong emotional attachment to Qur'an so anyone who does bad thing to it should be killed. Which then is part of their culture. It's rare in other cultures.

I've met quite a lot of Pakistanis who are like that I described above. Of course majority aren't.

No, look the Pakistani culture is the way it is because of Islam. Everytime I confront a Pakistani about cousin marriage, they justify it by using the prophet as an example. They don't do the things people in the west do because a lot of it is forbidden, they don't take non-muslims as friends because according to them it may lead to them doing things such as drinking, again that comes back to Islam. And the same goes for ALL muslims, not just Asians, the exact same goes for Arabs (cousin marriage also happens a lot between Arabs). It's Islam, not the culture. Look just imagine Islam was not around, all of the kids of the Asian immigrants would be fully integrated, why? Because they wouldn't give a damn about their parents culture, the only reason they stick to their identity is because of Islam.
Reply 57
Original post by farhiyaserar
The one thing i don't understand is who the **** created the sharia Law!! Like it actually contradicts nearly everything Islam is a about!!! I'am sorry for swearing but the problem about Islam itself is that it is divided. there are shias, whassabis, and sunnis... like what is the need!! I know I am a Sunni. But there is no need for it we should all just be muslims and that is it. and i would really want to make Islam the peaceful religion it I was. But i would need a lot of help and sources and stuff. because at the moment Islam is not seen as an amazing religion which I follow. But a religion that is violent, aggressive, really radicalized and more. and i would love to change that but what can a 16 year old girl still in school do!

Don't be a muslim then. God knows everything that will happen before it's even happened (so he obviously controls it), therefore he allowed the creation of all these sects, now why would he do that? Why would he try to confuse us so much, first it's deciding on the religion, now it's deciding on which sect is correct (out of the hundreds that there are), there is a hadith where the prophet says all the sects of Islam will burn in hell, except one. Why would God be so confusing? Obviously he doesn't exist.
Original post by Skeppy
Such as? Not trying to be a smartass but would like to know, i find religion interesting

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire S A510e

The good:
-No compulsion in religion
-Help orphans
-Being nice to your parents

The bad (and the ugly):
-Disbelievers are unworthy enough to be tortured without end for making a mistake of who created the world.
-Execution of apostates (in the shariah)
-Men are superior to women
Reply 59
This echoes a lot of stuff in Pakistan, such as

2002 April - Muslim gunmen threw grenades into a chapel on the grounds of the Taxila Christian Hospital in northern Punjaborn 15 miles west of Islamabad, killing four, including two nurses and a paramedic, and wounding 25 men and women.

Sept - Unknown Gunmen shot dead six people at a Christian charity in Karachi's central business district

December - a few days after an Islamic cleric called for Muslims to kill Christians, two burqa-clad Muslim gunmen tossed a grenade into a Presbyterian church during a Christian sermon in Chianwala in east Pakistan, killing three girls

2005 - November, 3,000 militant Islamists attacked Christians in Sangla Hill in Pakistan and destroyed Roman Catholic, Salvation Army and United Presbyterian churches

2006 - February - churches and Christian schools were targeted in protests over the publications of the Jyllands-Posten cartoons in Denmark, leaving two elderly women injured and many homes and properties destroyed

2006 - June, a Pakistani Christian stonemason named Nasir Ashraf was working near Lahore when he drank water from a public facility using a glass chained to the facility. He was assaulted by Muslims for "Polluting the glass". A mob developed, who beat Ashraf, calling him a "Christian dog". Bystanders encouraged the beating, because it would be a "good" deed that would help them get into heaven

2006 - August, a church and Christian homes were attacked in a village outside of Lahore, Pakistan in a land dispute. Three Christians were seriously injured and one missing after some 35 Muslims burned buildings, desecrated Bibles and attacked Christians

2008 - July - Mob stormed a Protestant church during a prayer service on the outskirts of Pakistan's largest city, Karachi, denouncing the Christians as "infidels" and injuring several, including a pastor

2009 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Gojra_riots (8 Christians dead)

2009 - June, rape and killing of a Christian man in Pakistan, for refusing to convert to Islam

2011 - March, Shahbaz Bhatti was killed by gunmen after he spoke out against Pakistan's blasphemy laws

April 2011, 20 Christians Injured as 500 Muslim demonstrators attacked the Christian community in Gujranwala city.

Nov - 2005, Christian churches and schools (in the city of Faisalabad) have been destroyed when Muslim Clerics urged people to 'take revenge' after a Christian allegedly burnt pages of the Koran. Hundreds of Christians fled the town as a crowd thousands strong, wielding axes and sticks, set fire to five churches, a dozen houses, three schools, a dispensary, a convent and two parsonages.

Oh and don't forget conveting and apostasy carry the death penalty, the Pakistan constitution actively has discrimination as a central pillar against Christians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shahbaz_Bhatti

Thanks for this, Pakistan, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blasphemy_law_in_Pakistan

So I guess it doens't echo, but is blasted out through a megaphone ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending