The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Freshers at Strathclyde University 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FinnLassie
I'm already picking what to wear for the ceilidh :rofl:

As long as you don't flash yourself... :tongue:

Fine, I'll show you guys when we meet up. There's nothing exciting about it though. :teehee:

I need to get a licence at some point. :colonhash: Why didn't I do it when I turned 18... Oh wait, it costs about 3000 euros to get one in Finland. Yeah. That's why.

Have you a traditional dress that you're going to be wearing? I'm so embarrassed - I'm Scottish and I don't even own a kilt!

I won't flash myself much. Unless I wear a kilt, in which case the traditional and proper way to wear it involves the kilt being the only layer of clothing. :colone:

Driving Licences are always expensive. I spent around £900 getting mine which is about 1,200 of your Finnish Euros. :smile:
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
Original post by alaska.

I am definitley going to the Ceilidh! One of the things I am looking forward to the most! :woo:

Yeah, I only arrive on the 16th and will probably be busy bringing all my stuff into my flat. Luckily, my boyfriend is giving me a lift and helps me settle. But I think he will return for the night because he starts back again at the 17th too. I'd be happy to do something on Sunday, the 16th as well (Pretty scared I end up all alone in my room on the 16th :frown: )

Yay, another one for beachparty and speedmeeting :smile: Both just sound like a lot of fun. And I imagine it will be really akward.

Btw, are you on the facebook group as well? :smile: if you didn't figure out it, I am Sibylle:h:

Yeah I'm on the facebook group too. Haha no I didn't realise you were Sibylle. :p: I'm Rachel...I'll add you if you want. :smile:
Original post by Electronica
Have you a traditional dress that you're going to be wearing? I'm so embarrassed - I'm Scottish and I don't even own a kilt!

I won't flash myself much. Unless I wear a kilt, in which case the traditional and proper way to wear it involves the kilt being the only layer of clothing. :colone:

Driving Licences are always expensive. I spent around £900 getting mine which is about 1,200 of your Finnish Euros. :smile:

Nay I don't have one, they're really expensive here. They don't have the same kind of status as kilts. The dress I'm probably going to buy next year if I have the money will make a 2k hole in my wallet. Everything is hand-woven. And you should be ashamed of yourself! A Scotsman is no man without a kilt!

900 squiddies is like heaven to me compared to the 3k. :tongue:
Nay I don't have one, they're really expensive here. They don't have the same kind of status as kilts. The dress I'm probably going to buy next year if I have the money will make a 2k hole in my wallet. Everything is hand-woven. And you should be ashamed of yourself! A Scotsman is no man without a kilt!

900 squiddies is like heaven to me compared to the 3k. :tongue:

Most people rent them, actually. :tongue: I doubt you'll see many people in traditional Scottish dress at the ceilidh. Actually, I don't know, it depends how many American students there are (You are so much more likely to see one of them in a kilt than one of us..). Hand-woven... pfft.. Hand knitted is the way forward. I look forward to the ceilidh most of all. Maybe I should splash out on Scottish dress, but I'm scared one day I will get fat instead of tall and skinny and then I'll just need to buy another one. :biggrin:
Most people rent them, actually. :tongue: I doubt you'll see many people in traditional Scottish dress at the ceilidh. Actually, I don't know, it depends how many American students there are (You are so much more likely to see one of them in a kilt than one of us..). Hand-woven... pfft.. Hand knitted is the way forward. I look forward to the ceilidh most of all. Maybe I should splash out on Scottish dress, but I'm scared one day I will get fat instead of tall and skinny and then I'll just need to buy another one. :biggrin:

Haha, I know a load of guys who actually own their kilt and you're probably one of the first Scottish guys I know that doesn't have one. And if you get fat one day you can just keep the old one and give it to your future skinny son or something. :tongue:
Reply 185
I'm already picking what to wear for the ceilidh :rofl:

As long as you don't flash yourself... :tongue:

Fine, I'll show you guys when we meet up. There's nothing exciting about it though. :teehee:

I need to get a licence at some point. :colonhash: Why didn't I do it when I turned 18... Oh wait, it costs about 3000 euros to get one in Finland. Yeah. That's why.

I have my driving licence for 6 and half years now, but i only passed the driving test when I took it the third time... So it was veryyy expensive for me too...

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9000
Haha, I know a load of guys who actually own their kilt and you're probably one of the first Scottish guys I know that doesn't have one. And if you get fat one day you can just keep the old one and give it to your future skinny son or something. :tongue:

A son? Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahh. Me, a dad, terrifying. I am thinking about getting one made, don't think it can be done in a month though, but I will have a look.
A son? Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahh. Me, a dad, terrifying. I am thinking about getting one made, don't think it can be done in a month though, but I will have a look.

There's pink kilts on the market.

Just saying. :ninja:

Ps. Don't forget to check your yougo inbox. :tongue:
There's pink kilts on the market.

Just saying. :ninja:

Ps. Don't forget to check your yougo inbox. :tongue:

I will do. I just haven't had the time to formulate a reply yet haha. I've been busy tidying everything up. A pink kilt would be an insult to my Scottish heritage. :tongue:
Ugh, driving licences are very expensive in the Netherlands as well. I only have my scooter licence and that alone cost me €400 and that was for only 2 lessons and the exam. I asume they will accept my Dutch licence as a form of ID? I would rather not take my passport with me on nights out.
Original post by KiaraMarissa
Ugh, driving licences are very expensive in the Netherlands as well. I only have my scooter licence and that alone cost me €400 and that was for only 2 lessons and the exam. I asume they will accept my Dutch licence as a form of ID? I would rather not take my passport with me on nights out.

I would have a passport with me just in case. Personally I only have a passport so I have to go around with it. I got it like last year and it's already super worn. :rolleyes:
Reply 191
Original post by steph.b
In my opinion I may be a little old, but I wouldn't have been mature enough to start at 18!

I'll be 30 by then! As it seems our situations are quite similar! :smile: I'm happy not be the only one! :smile: And yes, I'll be new to Glasgow, I have never ever lived away from home so far, but I'm really looking forward to it!

Do you own a flat in Glasgow?

Yeah i have my own flat in the south side of the city, its only a 10 minute journey on the bus to uni. I couldn't handle living in halls, i'm too easily swayed into partying. I have already lost enough brain cells from partying, i think i need to take care of the rest. Thats not gonna happen though.

What kind of music and nights out are you interested in? There is loads of good pubs, clubs and venues in glasgow, you can sample a little bit of everything.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 192
I talked to like a few lasses going to the same course as me but yeah, I guess it can't really top places like Facebook... or TSR haha :cool:

Hmm, I haven't really thought about it yet. I'm mainly concerned that I'll be the only one moving in on Saturday 15th to my flat, but thankfully I'll be going to the Silent disco in the evening with some folk from this forum! :smile:

But yeah I think the 17th is currently the best date for the meet-up.

You wont be long in making friends with some mental glaswegians, we are all very friendly and welcoming. Not to mention we all love a good party.

Original post by khelton
You wont be long in making friends with some mental glaswegians, we are all very friendly and welcoming. Not to mention we all love a good party.

My only issue is I still haven't worked out how to understand Glaswegians when they're plastered. :biggrin:
Reply 194
My only issue is I still haven't worked out how to understand Glaswegians when they're plastered. :biggrin:

Don't worry you will have it mastered in no time. Give it 6 months and you'll have a nice glasgow twang of your own?

Original post by khelton
Don't worry you will have it mastered in no time. Give it 6 months and you'll have a nice glasgow twang of your own?

This makes me sound like an utter brag, but the locals get confused and say I'm lying when I tell I'm not Scottish. Already blending in. :tongue:
Reply 196
Original post by khelton
Yeah i have my own flat in the south side of the city, its only a 10 minute journey on the bus to uni. I couldn't handle living in halls, i'm too easily swayed into partying. I have already lost enough brain cells from partying, i think i need to take care of the rest. Thats not gonna happen though.

What kind of music and nights out are you interested in? There is loads of good pubs, clubs and venues in glasgow, you can sample a little bit of everything.

Well can still go to parties even if you don't live on campus! I'll be in Andrew Ure and kind of happy with it! A friend of mine told me about a bar I should absolutely go to, but I can't remember the name! I'm mostly into rock, alternative, britpop, a little metal(soad and so on...), skaterock... But I like housemusic as well!
I can't stand dubstep, trance hardcore techno, hardcore metal and Hiphop depends on my mood...
I prefer going to pubs, having a couple of beers and enjoy a nice chat to going to a disco, although I sometimes need to dance to become calmer again!

What about you?!

I'm probably the definitive benchmark for that, I'm impossible to understand when sober for crying out loud.
Reply 198
I hope I'll understand most of it and I hope I can improve my language skills fast enough...
I'm not used to speak English, most of the time I speak luxembourgish or French( although my French is less good than my English)
I've only been to Scotland for 2 days so far...
Reply 199
Uh, driving license reminds me that I am not going to be able to take my car to Glasgow:sadnod: Francois and me had a great time together, but soon it's time to say goodbye....

haha, I wouldn't worry about that Steph, our English will improve majorly after the first few months. I hope I get a bit of an Glaswegian accent when I get there. I still talk normal but use loads of Scottish words... Got my American teacher a bit confused :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending