The Student Room Group

overall mark

third year

these are all in percentages so what will the overall be 2.1?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by otrivine
third year

these are all in percentages so what will the overall be 2.1?

Assuming they're all the same number of credits, the average is a little over 56%, so a mid 2:2.
Reply 2
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Assuming they're all the same number of credits, the average is a little over 56%, so a mid 2:2.

ok for second year i got

third year i got 2.2 which was 58%

so what will my overall mark/grade be?
Reply 3
ok for second year i got

third year i got 2.2 which was 58%

so what will my overall mark/grade be?

56%, so again, a 2:2.
Reply 4
Original post by Norton1
56%, so again, a 2:2.

Are u sure ?
Reply 5
Are u sure ?

Add them all together and divide by 6 to get an average.

This assumes they're all worth the same number of credits.
Reply 6
Original post by Norton1
Add them all together and divide by 6 to get an average.

This assumes they're all worth the same number of credits.

The third year Mark is in the original post and the one I got for second year so when u add everything will it come to 2:1 or depends on grade boundaries!
Reply 7
The third year Mark is in the original post and the one I got for second year so when u add everything will it come to 2:1 or depends on grade boundaries!

Third year is usually given a greater weighting than second year. Plus it depends on the number of credits for the course. So a 40 credit course at an A has double the effect of a 20 credit course at a C.

Find out the credit weightings for each course and then the weighting each year (2nd and 3rd are usually the only ones taken into account) is given and you'll be able to get a much more accurate answer.
Reply 8
Original post by Norton1
Third year is usually given a greater weighting than second year. Plus it depends on the number of credits for the course. So a 40 credit course at an A has double the effect of a 20 credit course at a C.

Find out the credit weightings for each course and then the weighting each year (2nd and 3rd are usually the only ones taken into account) is given and you'll be able to get a much more accurate answer.

So do I need to add the years 2 and 3 and divide by 12 to get my final Mark ? So there are grade boundaries right
Reply 9
So do I need to add the years 2 and 3 and divide by 12 to get my final Mark ? So there are grade boundaries right

It depends on the weighting given to each year. Second year is often given 33% and third 66% you need to look into this.
Reply 10
Original post by Norton1
It depends on the weighting given to each year. Second year is often given 33% and third 66% you need to look into this.

cause these are my brothers result so i have no idea how to them
but the one you said 2:2 did you look at his 3rd year marks
The total for each year is 337 so 56.2%

Since 60% is required for s 2:1 this is a 2:2

The only possible way it could be higher (or lower) is if the modules were not of equal weighting
cause these are my brothers result so i have no idea how to them
but the one you said 2:2 did you look at his 3rd year marks

I would recommend him to check his university information to see how they calculate the degree classification.

My uni used either these methods depending what gave you the best %:

40% second year 60% third year
100% third year (the way my classification was calculated)

However, I would suggest he has got a 2.2 (presuming all units are equal weighting)
Unless some of the modules you got higher marks in are worth more credits, it's a 2:2. Doesn't matter how they split it between second and third year, the average of a 2:2 in second year and a 2:2 in third year is a 2:2 overall.
Reply 14
Original post by Politics Student
I would recommend him to check his university information to see how they calculate the degree classification.

My uni used either these methods depending what gave you the best %:

40% second year 60% third year
100% third year (the way my classification was calculated)

However, I would suggest he has got a 2.2 (presuming all units are equal weighting)

Thanks :wink: but he showed me an example that 59.6% is 2.1?

Depends if they round up.

Some universities round up as standard

Others will look at individual cases

However 56.2% will not round up to 60%
Original post by TenOfThem
Some universities round up as standard

Others will look at individual cases

However 56.2% will not round up to 60%

Easy to see you're a maths teacher!:smile:
I don't understand how someone can reach the end of their degree and be so clueless about what their marks add up to. How can anyone think they are up to the real world if basic mathematics is beyond their range?
Reply 19

It doesn't seem your listening to the advice.
If you go on the university website and look up how the degree classification is worked out then this will be much easier.
Most unis will make the second year 40% and the third year 60% of your overall mark. So you will not just add together the two years grades to get a result in this case.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending