The Student Room Group

Circumcision ban is the 'worst attack on Jews since Holocaust'

Scroll to see replies

I've never understood how this could possibly be legal anyway. Unlike the other barmy religious rules, this is irrefutably mutilation. Granted, many people like the mutilation, but that doesn't mean everyone should be at risk of subjected to it.
Reply 141
Original post by jogijogan
i never said ' problem with being alive' i said 'problem with having been born' they will have been born even if they commit suicide though.

Yes but if they're dead, the fact that they were born will no longer have any effect on their life. Because they won't have a life.

Come on, surely you realise this is a stupid argument.

Original post by pshewitt1

Lasting too long isn't as bad a problem as not lasting, surely?

Not necessarily. Better to not have either problem.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 142
Original post by Psyk
Yes but if they're dead, the fact that they were born will no longer have any effect on their life. Because they won't have a life.

Come on, surely you realise this is a stupid argument.

But it is difficult step to commit suicide eg it might go wrong and you might survive but severe disabilities etc or shoved in a mental institution
Reply 143
Original post by . .
A child has no say in whether he/she wants a vaccination should we stop them too because the child cannot give consent? :rolleyes:

How would you feel about forced female cricumcision on the basis of a religious say-so?
But it is difficult step to commit suicide eg it might go wrong and you might survive but severe disabilities etc or shoved in a mental institution

The human body is remarkably fragile... The only way it could possibly go wrong is if you couldn't bare killing yourself - in which case, you really shouldn't be doing it in the first place!
Reply 145
Original post by callum9999
The human body is remarkably fragile... The only way it could possibly go wrong is if you couldn't bare killing yourself - in which case, you really shouldn't be doing it in the first place!

There are people who wish to have have never existed, and to suggest torturing themselving during the process of planning and executing a suicide is inhumane, much more inhumane than circumcision.
There are people who wish to have have never existed, and to suggest torturing themselving during the process of planning and executing a suicide is inhumane, much more inhumane than circumcision.

For starters - your argument is beyond moronic. Creation of new life is essential to survival of the human species - it is not in any way, shape or form comparable to circumcision...

Secondly, how on earth is it torture? If they want to die, the thought of planning and executing themselves should surely be at worst neutral?

To me - this whole debate reeks of parents seeing the baby as their property, and not an independent human
entity.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by . .
A child has no say in whether he/she wants a vaccination should we stop them too because the child cannot give consent? :rolleyes:

Though many others have replied - I don't think they've hammered the point home. Childhood vaccinations have saved the lives of millions of children. If you are so keen to compare the procedures, I'd challenge you to find me one case of childhood circumcision ever saving a life...
Reply 148
This whole issue just revolves around the absolutely arrogant assumption by those of certain religion beliefs who think that their very children are born with the same religious belief - no questions asked.

That is not only irrational - as religion in a free society is chosen by the individual and not forced upon by others - but it is also morally wrong. Next we will have some barmy religious derivative saying that their God commanded man to amputate his weaker arm after birth. Considering the same logic that allows circumcision to newborn babies, what is to stop such a thing?
Reply 149
Though many others have replied - I don't think they've hammered the point home. Childhood vaccinations have saved the lives of millions of children. If you are so keen to compare the procedures, I'd challenge you to find me one case of childhood circumcision ever saving a life...

Childhood circumcision improves hygiene as it is difficult to wash under the foreskin until around puberty when the forskin loosens. Improved hygeine naturally saves lives.

For starters - your argument is beyond moronic. Creation of new life is essential to survival of the human species - it is not in any way, shape or form comparable to circumcision...

Secondly, how on earth is it torture? If they want to die, the thought of planning and executing themselves should surely be at worst neutral?

To me - this whole debate reeks of parents seeing the baby as their property, and not an independent human
entity.

Firstly the child may never want to be born so if you follow the same concept, conceiving is wrong as the child may grow up not wanting to have existed (same as a child may grow up never to have been circumcised)

Secondly so what if human life ceases, whats your point?

Thirdly and lastly, parents are trusted to make the best decision for their child, if parents want to make a decision to circumcise their child which helps to improve hygeine then they should be allowed, you have no right to interfere in such a decision.

Circumcision if done properly does not make anyone disabled in any way, the penis can still be used to urinate and have sex
with.
Reply 150
What a lot of tosh, frankly.

Do some research and there are pro's and cons, but no real medical benefits - the point is, it's pointless and the child can't make a decision.

Parents don't always know what's best for their children. If they did this with earlobes for example, because 'god' told them to, they'd probably lose custody and go to jail.
Children have the right to a varied diet. German nutritionists insist that Jewish children must be allowed to eat pork and prawns; when they reach the age of 18 they can choose whether to reject them.
Good on the German Government, or whoever it was exactly, for banning it. I'm all for religious freedom, until it involves cutting parts off a baby.
Reply 153
Original post by the bear
Children have the right to a varied diet. German nutritionists insist that Jewish children must be allowed to eat pork and prawns; when they reach the age of 18 they can choose whether to reject them.

Hardly the same is it. Not being allowed pork and prawns as a child doesn't take away the option of eating them when you're an adult. It'll make you less likely to want to, but ultimately it will still be their choice.
Original post by Agenda Suicide
Because it's often done at such a young age without the consent of the person?

How can you mutilate a child without it's opinion for a belief ?

How can you abort a child without its opinion for a whim?
Childhood circumcision improves hygiene as it is difficult to wash under the foreskin until around puberty when the forskin loosens. Improved hygeine naturally saves lives.

Firstly the child may never want to be born so if you follow the same concept, conceiving is wrong as the child may grow up not wanting to have existed (same as a child may grow up never to have been circumcised)

Thirdly and lastly, parents are trusted to make the best decision for their child, if parents want to make a decision to circumcise their child which helps to improve hygeine then they should be allowed, you have no right to interfere in such a decision.

Circumcision if done properly does not make anyone disabled in any way, the penis can still be used to urinate and have sex
with.

Absolute rubbish. Cite one example of a child ever dying because they were uncircumcised.

You cannot be this moronic... Conceiving a child is NOT REMOTELY COMPARABLE TO CIRCUMCISING THEM AGAINST THEIR WILL. I honestly cannot grasp why you feel they are.
Childhood circumcision improves hygiene as it is difficult to wash under the foreskin until around puberty when the forskin loosens. Improved hygeine naturally saves lives

Please show me a case where someone has died due to not having his foreskin removed. It doesn't seem to be a problem for the millions of other male teenagers that have one and stay clean.

Proper education of sexual health should lead to no problems for a child with a foreskin, as shown by the majority of healthy young males.

Circumcision if done properly does not make anyone disabled in any way, the penis can still be used to urinate and have sex with.

People can feel terrible when they think their penis is smaller than other lads', some children may get incredibly depressed and self conscious at a circumcised penis.

Would you support female circumcision, hypothetically? Let's say a religion now wants to cut parts off a baby girl's genitals, any problem? It improves hygiene after all.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Blutooth
How can you abort a child without its opinion for a whim?

You can't abort a child. You can abort an embryo - but if you are going to go down the route of that counting because it will turn into a child, then why stop there? Why not blast anyone using contraception (artificial or otherwise) for denying the sperm and egg the chance to make a child?
Reply 158

Circumcision if done properly does not make anyone disabled in any way, the penis can still be used to urinate and have sex with.

Loving that all-in-bold effect.

Improved hygeine is a silly matter. You can't really use that as a valid reason. I admit there is evidence to suggest that it prevents certain infections, but then should we remove the appendix just after birth in case someone gets appendicitis later in life?

As for the whole suicide argument, well here's how I think about it:
You don't want to live, you kill yourself.
You want to cut your penis up, you can have that done.
You want to have your penis un-cut up, well that's a harder thing to solve.

For your third point I call shenanigans (being unable to call BS due to word filter). What about the Jehova's witnesses who believe that stuff like blood transfusion is wrong? Doctors can override their decisions if it is in the best interests of the child. Also, what about the people who beat their children? They might think it's for their own good, but the children will still be taken into care if it's found out.
Reply 159
Original post by A.J10
Loving that all-in-bold effect.

Improved hygeine is a silly matter. You can't really use that as a valid reason. I admit there is evidence to suggest that it prevents certain infections, but then should we remove the appendix just after birth in case someone gets appendicitis later in life?

As for the whole suicide argument, well here's how I think about it:
You don't want to live, you kill yourself.
You want to cut your penis up, you can have that done.
You want to have your penis un-cut up, well that's a harder thing to solve.

For your third point I call shenanigans (being unable to call BS due to word filter). What about the Jehova's witnesses who believe that stuff like blood transfusion is wrong? Doctors can override their decisions if it is in the best interests of the child. Also, what about the people who beat their children? They might think it's for their own good, but the children will still be taken into care if it's found out.

You can get foreskin restoration. And doctors cannot overule a jehovahs witness who does nto allowed blood transfusion for their child

Lets say it is banned in this country as well.

Well people can go abroad and get their children circumcised, they can go to any muslim country or even Israel and have it done there.

SO how will you enforce it, will you go house to house checking up on babies?
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending