The Student Room Group

***Official Summer 2013 & Off Cycle Internship Applications***

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TomasK
*coffee

Is this just a joke or does this actually happen with trading interns? I've been explicitly told by a lot of people I've spoken to on the banking side that interns don't get coffee, though obviously it's a different thing given bankers can leave their desks without worrying about **** going south in the minute they're away.
Original post by Philosopher-of-sorts
Is this just a joke or does this actually happen with trading interns? I've been explicitly told by a lot of people I've spoken to on the banking side that interns don't get coffee, though obviously it's a different thing given bankers can leave their desks without worrying about **** going south in the minute they're away.

It happens on the markets side in London - interns can often get the breakfast orders (particularly because many actually volunteer to do this).

In the Netherlands this practice is basically unheard of. Everyone just gets their own food. As should be the case.
Reply 5922

Getting Coffee, breakfast etc is standard practice for interns on the markets side. Sometimes it is actually quite nice to just get away from the desk and get some air. Just make sure you don't eff up the order or forget the guys credit card pin (happened to me once)
Reply 5923
Original post by SW1X
Sometimes it is actually quite nice to just get away from the desk and get some air. Just make sure you don't eff up the order or forget the guys credit card pin (happened to me once)

...another problem with working at such hierarchical firms like the BBs. Best grades, schools, most persistent networkers and hardest workers, to get coffee.

Original post by effofex
It happens on the markets side in London - interns can often get the breakfast orders (particularly because many actually volunteer to do this).

In the Netherlands this practice is basically unheard of. Everyone just gets their own food. As should be the case.

I think it depends on the bank because personally I've never seen an intern getting coffee/food for anyone. Ever. And that's in markets.

It does happen at some banks though because my friends have had to do it.
Reply 5925
Hey guys does anyone know the general dates at which banks hold their internships in the summer and how many weeks they usually are?
Reply 5926
Original post by alnov
Hey guys does anyone know the general dates at which banks hold their internships in the summer and how many weeks they usually are?

Usually 10 weeks, most start 24 June or 1 July.
Reply 5927
Original post by TomasK
Usually 10 weeks, most start 24 June or 1 July.

What bank are you interning at?
Reply 5928
Original post by alnov

Mine is 3rd July to 13th September.
Reply 5929
Original post by cagiva
Mine is 3rd July to 13th September.

Starting in the middle of the week? Where are you? JPM Tech?
Reply 5930
Original post by TomasK
Starting in the middle of the week? Where are you? JPM Tech?

JPM Operations, I think induction is Wed, Thursday, Friday but not sure.
Original post by london123abc
Just got my online test results back for rbc got 82% (average 2 numericals and a literacy) they say they take the top 30 people to the next stage do you think that score will be stufficient? 2 of the tests were 5 minutes and one was an hour do you think the hour long has more baring on their desecion because I got 100% in that!

I think the time you take may also play a part. I got one wrong in numerical reasoning and one wrong in the literacy test. I got an interview but I'm guessing standards were high. Have you emailed HR to ask?

Also, why does every post get negged on this thread?
(edited 10 years ago)
I have a financial markets knowledge test coming up which will require some use of excel, i know the theory required but how can i get practice for questions which use data? The test is first stage ac for boutique asset mgmt firm.
Reply 5933
Original post by paulco
Where do you see conversion rates higher ? BNP Paribas or Nomura ? Which bank would you choose for summer intern in trading ?

Which particular desks would you be interning at?

It definitely depends on a desk placement. I would definitely prefer BNP in any kind of derivatives trading, or exotics, hybrids. They are very strong there, actually French banks are the best overall for derivatives.

I think that BNP vs Nomura is very hard to compare, if you compare only the prestige it is very similar tier, but overall BNP is a better choice in my opinion, huge balance sheet, probably much more flow business from a trading side.

I don't really know about anything specific where Nomura rocks, maybe Asian stuff, and they still also have a prop desk I think.

Conversion rates will be probably higher at Nomura, it is a very good period for japanese banks currently and they will be expanding probably. On the other hand, european banks don't have a very good period right now. Anyway, it is up to you, if you are good enough you will land a job at both firms.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5934
Original post by mazeltof
Anyone know what pay is like for a first year analyst in boutique real estate advisory firms in London?

Why so many dislikes? Makes me laugh - the question is a serious one...
Original post by mazeltof
Why so many dislikes? Makes me laugh - the question is a serious one...

Total comp will vary from GBP 25k to GBP 85k.
Reply 5936
has anyone had their first round Credit Suisse ibd autumn internship this week?
Original post by tharyla
has anyone had their first round Credit Suisse ibd autumn internship this week?

No still have not heard back from them, do you have an interview this week?
Reply 5938
Received an email a few days ago requesting me to choose a date & time for 1st round but haven' t received any confirmation after that so just wanted to check if things have been delayed for everyone?
Reply 5939
Anyone been through 1st round test for OMGI Asset Management Internship?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending