The Student Room Group

***Official Summer 2013 & Off Cycle Internship Applications***

Scroll to see replies

Just a quick question about summer internships. Can somebody explain the relocation allowance or whatever that might be? I just read my contract again and saw a line about that. So my question is basically does everybody get it? If yes, then when?
Original post by Baxus2010
Just a quick question about summer internships. Can somebody explain the relocation allowance or whatever that might be? I just read my contract again and saw a line about that. So my question is basically does everybody get it? If yes, then when?

Everyone will get it if it's in your contract, unless it specifies otherwise. A lot of people have already received theirs.
Original post by nauprillion
has anyone been rejected for JPM IBD (summer internship) lately?

I have been waiting for the date of the next ac of JP Morgan S&T for 2 months now. Anyone in the same situation?
I applied to the summer internship programme.
Hello everybody,

I'm currently in the process of fast-tracking from the Spring Programs I taken part in - I've received an IBD offer from Credit Suisse and am attending final assessment centres for Morgan Stanley and Citi over the coming weeks.

Having spent time at the three, I obviously have opinions and stuff of my own, but would be really interested to hear any insight about what you all think about the three (particularly for IBD/Capital Markets), which you'd go for if you had a choice, etc. I'm not currently considering making any applications in September, but again if you have an opinion on this I'd be glad to know it.

Thanks, all the best for your applications!
Reply 5944
Original post by GeorgeV123
Hello everybody,

I'm currently in the process of fast-tracking from the Spring Programs I taken part in - I've received an IBD offer from Credit Suisse and am attending final assessment centres for Morgan Stanley and Citi over the coming weeks.

Having spent time at the three, I obviously have opinions and stuff of my own, but would be really interested to hear any insight about what you all think about the three (particularly for IBD/Capital Markets), which you'd go for if you had a choice, etc. I'm not currently considering making any applications in September, but again if you have an opinion on this I'd be glad to know it.

If it's not GCM, I'd go for MS.
Reply 5945
Hello everybody,

Out of interest, what's your personal preference atm at why?
Original post by quint101
Out of interest, what's your personal preference atm at why?

I've now accepted my CS offer as it was expiring on 22nd May and could get zero push-back on it to attend other ACs - not going to decline an offer and run the risk of ending up with nothing.

But in any case, my preferences were very marginal and I came out of the three weeks thinking that if any of them gave me an offer, I'd take it. People, culture, opportunities etc were great at all of them. The only distinguishing factor was that - with everything else being equal - MS was the only pure-play Investment Bank which is involved with the biggest deals, further up the league tables and so on.
I've now accepted my CS offer as it was expiring on 22nd May and could get zero push-back on it to attend other ACs - not going to decline an offer and run the risk of ending up with nothing.

But in any case, my preferences were very marginal and I came out of the three weeks thinking that if any of them gave me an offer, I'd take it. People, culture, opportunities etc were great at all of them. The only distinguishing factor was that - with everything else being equal - MS was the only pure-play Investment Bank which is involved with the biggest deals, further up the league tables and so on.

Congrats! I wish I was more aware of these spring weeks when I was first year lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5948
anyone waiting on rbc after final stages?
Had the RBC wealth management phone interview today. Very embarrassed with my performance.
how long before they write after taking numerical results? i just wish i know (i didnt do so well)
Reply 5951
Has anyone had their first round interview with Credit Suisse for the IBD Autumn Internship? Any news regarding final round?
Reply 5952
Had my first round interview with Credit Suisse for the IBD Autumn Internship 3 weeks ago... I sent many emails to have an update on my application to the HR but we never could get on the phone...
Hey guys, I'll be applying for summer internships next monthish. With regards to places which ask for minimum grades so specfically kpmg and ey with regards to a c in gcse english - if i dont have this, will my application be filtered out or will it actually be looked at?
Original post by getenoughsuarez
Hey guys, I'll be applying for summer internships next monthish. With regards to places which ask for minimum grades so specfically kpmg and ey with regards to a c in gcse english - if i dont have this, will my application be filtered out or will it actually be looked at?

Your application will be auto-filtered, or at least, as soon as they see it, it will be rejected.

If your grades since then have been significantly better (say you got an A at A Level English for example) then you might be able to convince HR to look at your application by getting in touch with them. But keep in mind these schemes are pretty competitive, so things like a C in GCSE English are considered screening out a minimum standard.beyond which they have no reason to look (given they've got an excess of applicants above that standard) so without very good reason to, they're not going to override that policy.
Reply 5955
Hi everyone

Ondra partners have just opened applications for a 6 month internship starting in Sept 2013 if that's of interest to anyone.

http://www.dartmouthpartners.com/campaign/unique-opportunity-to-join-a-leading-independent-advisory-firm-for-6-months/

The GradNav team
Hey all. Just out of interest how much does work experience count towards second year internships. for example if I do a weeks worth of informal work experience at Deutsche bank will that significantly improve my chances. Also is it the same if I did work experience at an insurance company or in retail during the summer?
Reply 5957
Original post by phill mike hunt
Hey all. Just out of interest how much does work experience count towards second year internships. for example if I do a weeks worth of informal work experience at Deutsche bank will that significantly improve my chances. Also is it the same if I did work experience at an insurance company or in retail during the summer?

My advice is this: Look at the week as one big netowrking opportunity. You are given access to alot of resources and people. what division will you be sitting with? Make a point of seeing as many people as possible, go over to their office in Appold street and request to meet HR. See if you can go on their intranet and look at the HR recruiting in the area you want to work in markets, IBD etc. The actually experince from these kind of things is pretty minimal, but what it does give you is access to alot of things, people etc. who at the end of the day CAN make a difference. It's just about being proactive from day 1.
Original post by SW1X
My advice is this: Look at the week as one big netowrking opportunity. You are given access to alot of resources and people. what division will you be sitting with? Make a point of seeing as many people as possible, go over to their office in Appold street and request to meet HR. See if you can go on their intranet and look at the HR recruiting in the area you want to work in markets, IBD etc. The actually experince from these kind of things is pretty minimal, but what it does give you is access to alot of things, people etc. who at the end of the day CAN make a difference. It's just about being proactive from day 1.

Ok thanks mate. I know the experience is minimal but would the banks look at it and go wow well done for bagging it or will they be like mehhhh. Because it is quite hard to get it. How would I make it so people will make a difference with regards to my application? My grades are **** but I have lots of work experience and have goldmans on my cv.
Reply 5959
Original post by phill mike hunt
Ok thanks mate. I know the experience is minimal but would the banks look at it and go wow well done for bagging it or will they be like mehhhh. Because it is quite hard to get it. How would I make it so people will make a difference with regards to my application? My grades are **** but I have lots of work experience and have goldmans on my cv.

I'm sure people will look at it in a positive light. It showd interest and initive on your behalf. But the point I was getting at was that internal benefits will be greater than that of having the name DB on your CV.

With regards to how you can make it so the people you meet make a differnece to your application, well, this comes down to you and how you are as a person. As most things with life, there is no formula. Try and show intelligence and confidence with the way you approach people, and as I said be proactive. I did a couple of similar things at differnent banks, where i was working in MO but through a bit of initivate I managed to spend most of the expericne on the trading desk I wanted to be on. It took conversations with round 6 people to get that through. It's about playing a game a bit, as crude as that sounds. Have a view in your head where you want to be and find the right people in the business that can and will get you there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending