The Student Room Group

***Official Summer 2013 & Off Cycle Internship Applications***

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SW1X
I'm sure people will look at it in a positive light. It showd interest and initive on your behalf. But the point I was getting at was that internal benefits will be greater than that of having the name DB on your CV.

With regards to how you can make it so the people you meet make a differnece to your application, well, this comes down to you and how you are as a person. As most things with life, there is no formula. Try and show intelligence and confidence with the way you approach people, and as I said be proactive. I did a couple of similar things at differnent banks, where i was working in MO but through a bit of initivate I managed to spend most of the expericne on the trading desk I wanted to be on. It took conversations with round 6 people to get that through. It's about playing a game a bit, as crude as that sounds. Have a view in your head where you want to be and find the right people in the business that can and will get you there.

ok cheers buddy.
Reply 5961
Hi everyone,

Just a quick question:

When applying for summer / off cycle internships in IB, if i failed to get the spring internships would it be best to start an entirely new account so they can't see I didn't get a spring offer, or do they not care?

Also would you suggest taking an off-cycle or summer internship? which is easier to get? I have a year out of uni from jan-dec 2014

thanks
Hi guys,
Congrats to the people starting/already started their internship and I hope it's going well. I was wondering how did you differentiate between the banks. When you go on their sites they all pretty much say the same thing about their culture and values etc

thanks
Original post by sampardo
Hi everyone,

Just a quick question:

When applying for summer / off cycle internships in IB, if i failed to get the spring internships would it be best to start an entirely new account so they can't see I didn't get a spring offer, or do they not care?

Also would you suggest taking an off-cycle or summer internship? which is easier to get? I have a year out of uni from jan-dec 2014

thanks

nope they don't care.

I think you can apply for both. Apply for the summer one first. If you don't have any luck there, then you can apply for the off-cycle anytime after you have received replies for your 1st application.
The news! Find out where each bank excels. If you're applying for S&T,
You can find out where each banks strengths lie. Likewise for IBD. Rankings are available.

Original post by user1111
Hi guys,
Congrats to the people starting/already started their internship and I hope it's going well. I was wondering how did you differentiate between the banks. When you go on their sites they all pretty much say the same thing about their culture and values etc

thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
How is everyone managing to stay awake??

I find myself dozing off around 11.30am and around 3pm.

Coffee isn't working...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by niels-bohr
The news! Find out where each bank excels. If you're applying for S&T,
You can find out where each banks strengths lie. Likewise for IBD. Rankings are available.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes you're right. I considered that but thought it was generic. Like saying in a DB interview that they're the best at FX which they already know. I guess stating the obvious works! I'm looking to intern in S&T. Is that what you're doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5967
Anyone with experience of the CS IBD case study? Any advice on how to tackle it will be appreciated. thanks
Original post by steviewonders
They don't make you do the tests for BNP for an off-cycle app

Does the app process include an assessment centre?
Original post by nitestar
Hmmmm had the same experience with Houlihan Lokey and Morgan Stanley as well..:confused:

does Houlihan lokey offer summer internships? or at least during the year
Is it worth mentioning investment banking insight days on your CV? I'm not sure whether they are worthy of putting under the experience section.

thanks
Reply 5971
Any successful applicants for EY? They had requested additional information from me two days ago and have not heared anything form them since then. How much time do I usually need to wait.?
Reply 5972
Hi guys, is it possible to attend a summer internship in the UK if applying from mainland Europe. I am an international Non-EU student? Any thoughts on this? WebRep

Overall rating

This site has no rating
(not enough votes)
Hi guys,
good luck to all of you that have started applying and congrats on those that already have offers!

I really want to go into IB but I didnt get any Spring Weeks :frown: also I didnt manage to et any experience this summer; ive just got some part time work in like a sales role so not very relevant.
I go to a target uni and i got good A levels so I dont really know where I went wrong with the spring weeks but I didnt even get any interviews!

Anyways, do you think I should still apply for like FO roles? or should I go for lesser subscribed roles to get a foot in?

I also have managed to get a Summer Internship with Deloitte in Audit but its not what I want to do, its more of a back up. is there any point mentioning this?

Thanks a lot for your help guys!
Reply 5974
Original post by verdhy
Hi guys,
good luck to all of you that have started applying and congrats on those that already have offers!

I really want to go into IB but I didnt get any Spring Weeks :frown: also I didnt manage to et any experience this summer; ive just got some part time work in like a sales role so not very relevant.
I go to a target uni and i got good A levels so I dont really know where I went wrong with the spring weeks but I didnt even get any interviews!

Anyways, do you think I should still apply for like FO roles? or should I go for lesser subscribed roles to get a foot in?

I also have managed to get a Summer Internship with Deloitte in Audit but its not what I want to do, its more of a back up. is there any point mentioning this?

Thanks a lot for your help guys!

Just apply for the division you really want to get into and then do some back-up applications and hope for the best. In this climate, even the strongest applicants can get rejected due to fewer internship places so it's important to diversify your options.
Original post by tharyla
Just apply for the division you really want to get into and then do some back-up applications and hope for the best. In this climate, even the strongest applicants can get rejected due to fewer internship places so it's important to diversify your options.

thanks for the reply :smile:

i dont know if I should risk it but i dont want to be stuck somewhere I dont want to be i guess
Original post by phill mike hunt
Hey all. Just out of interest how much does work experience count towards second year internships. for example if I do a weeks worth of informal work experience at Deutsche bank will that significantly improve my chances. Also is it the same if I did work experience at an insurance company or in retail during the summer?

Which MD did you suck off...
Reply 5977
Hi all, just wondering if any of you can give me some advice in terms of the application system itself.

I did spring weeks with RBS and MS last year, for the rest of the banks that rejected me, if I apply again for summer internship would it be better to use the account with the same email address or start with a new one? I also got some unfinished/rejected applications to events left on these accounts on top of the rejected spring week applications. And I declined one of the banks due to date clash, would this look bad on my application if I apply again or should I start over with a new account? Thanks in advance
Original post by vchief78
Hi all, just wondering if any of you can give me some advice in terms of the application system itself.

I did spring weeks with RBS and MS last year, for the rest of the banks that rejected me, if I apply again for summer internship would it be better to use the account with the same email address or start with a new one? I also got some unfinished/rejected applications to events left on these accounts on top of the rejected spring week applications. And I declined one of the banks due to date clash, would this look bad on my application if I apply again or should I start over with a new account? Thanks in advance

Makes no difference for Spring Week to Summer Internship.

Multiple accounts is a silly thing to do anyway as it flags up on the HR system if there are duplicates, based upon address, name, phone number, university etc. I did this (by accident) for JP Morgan and I got a message, after having been reviewed, saying my application was withdrawn because of multiple accounts.
Reply 5979
Original post by johnbridges11
Makes no difference for Spring Week to Summer Internship.

Multiple accounts is a silly thing to do anyway as it flags up on the HR system if there are duplicates, based upon address, name, phone number, university etc. I did this (by accident) for JP Morgan and I got a message, after having been reviewed, saying my application was withdrawn because of multiple accounts.

Hi thanks for the help. Can I ask if you submitted two applications using multiple accounts so they sent you the email to withdraw the application? I ask this cos I have multiple accounts but I only used them to register for events, if I only submit one application in the end will this cause them to withdraw my application?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending