The Student Room Group

What do you guys think of a KETO/Low carb diet?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
It's called "keto diet" because when you don't have sufficient carbs, you cannot feed your brain and your body needs to make ketone bodies as a fuel. Fats cannot provide the energy form the brain needs in sufficient amounts, and you take in nowhere near enough protein to do so. Ketoacids are not efficient and may be damaging to tissues. When you get ketone bodies on your breath, it's used as a diagnostic tool for anorexia or diabetes, showing that fasting on carbohydrates is only associated with negative effects.

Don't do this diet if you value your body.
Reply 41
Original post by ch0c0h01ic
The vast majority of diets "work", the main issue is that people don't follow them properly, whether that's overestimating how much they exercise, underestimating how much they eat, "treating" themselves too often, thinking that healthier foods are less calorific, etc.

I would say most diets probably fail if they cause hunger between meals, which I don't experience on this diet.

Low carb meals and snacks are harder to come by, more expensive and offer much less variation whether you're eating out or going over to a friend's for dinner.

If you know how to cook then I don't really see how assembling low carb meals is any different from any other meal, minus starchy vegetable products and grains. As for snacks as I said before, I don't think someone on a diet should really be snacking at all.
Reply 42
Original post by Hypocrism
It's called "keto diet" because when you don't have sufficient carbs, you cannot feed your brain and your body needs to make ketone bodies as a fuel. Fats cannot provide the energy form the brain needs in sufficient amounts, and you take in nowhere near enough protein to do so. Ketoacids are not efficient and may be damaging to tissues. When you get ketone bodies on your breath, it's used as a diagnostic tool for anorexia or diabetes, showing that fasting on carbohydrates is only associated with negative effects.

Don't do this diet if you value your body.

The presence of Ketones in a normal dieted Diabetic person is a sign of DKA, which is a severe medical condition and doesn't have anything do to with this diet.

In an anorexic person the presence of Ketones shows that the person is starving, because their body has resorted to breaking down fat for energy. Someone doing this diet is not starving, it simply uses the same metabolic pathway.

As for ketones not providing enough energy; the brain can use ketone bodies for 70% of its energy needs, the remaining 30% is provided for either by Gluconogenisis where glucose is synthesised by the liver from fatty acids and protein, or from the glucose ingested in the <50g of carbohydrates most people on this diet eat. Ketogenic diets have also been medically used to control seizures in epileptic people for decades.

The heart is roughly 30% more efficient when using ketone bodies for energy instead of glucose, and the idea that they are somehow harmful to tissues is utter rubbish.
Reply 43
Meh.

I don't understand why people bother going through so much talk and reading to lose weight. Everyone knows deep down that it is simple and everyone knows deep down what good foods are, roughly what proportion to eat them in and that getting variety is good.

IMO, the main thing worth learning is how to estimate portion size and macro content by eye. That way, you don't need to be obsessive about diet - you just roughly estimate how many calories you are taking in each day and work out whether you need a little more or a little less. I think that this is actually quite important as with things like rice and pasta - it can be difficult to estimate how much you are eating without actually weighing it until you get used to what e.g. 50g of dry rice looks like.
I think low Carb is a load of bull. Yes it can work IN EXACTLY THE SAME WAY as a calorific deficit diet. My common sense, which has been proven time and time again over the long term, is that moderation in everything is key. Excluding a major nutrient group in carbs and eating excessively in another (protein) sounds like an unnecessary bad idea. Carbs in moderation are awesome and humans operate at peak performance with them. Carbs taste amazing too. Just simply stop overloading on simple carbs.

Low carbs is stupid.
I think I'm a weird case. I've done low carb before and the weight dropped fairly quickly but I found it hard to eat enough calories. Tried it again a few months ago and dropped it quite low and went into ketosis. Never ever again :frown:

I've never felt so horrible. I know it's standard to feel a bit ill at the beginning of a low-carb diet, I've been through it a few times but I always stuck it out and it was better within a week. This time I felt so unbelievably sick I just lost my appetite completely and had to force down food. It got to the point where I pretty much couldn't eat and after a couple of weeks it hadn't improved, so I stopped. Even now, three months later, I'm having trouble eating certain foods. I've completely gone off food I used to like because I ate them during that time. Eggs and bacon make me want to retch. Even writing this makes me feel a bit sick. I've gone off a lot of vegetables too and it really sucks because it's even harder to eat healthily now.

This probably won't happen to you, but unless you have a good reason (I did it because of a health condition), I would recommend just a standard, balanced diet and a calorie deficit to lose weight because you never know how you're body may react. If you do go keto then don't do it for too long, apparently it's not great for your body to be in ketosis for extended periods of time. You might get keto-breath and a horrible taste in your mouth which I've heard doesn't go away (it's horrid).

Good luck, whatever you choose to do :smile:
Personally I think a zero carb approach is the best way to diet, if you want to lose fat at a decent rate, 2-3lbs a week. It's pretty hard to have a 1000+ kcal daily deficit while eating enough protein and eating any real amount of carbohydrate. If you try and eat carbs, you simply end up in no mans land, not enough for appreciable energy, but too many to be in ketosis. This is where lots of people who low carb go wrong, and end up complaining about having no energy, being hungry and not being able to focus on anything. If you get into ketosis your appetite gets completely suppressed, you get more energy and the brain starts to be able to function much better. It just takes 3-4days of hell to get properly into ketosis.

Just like everything though, most people fixate on one aspect, the no/low carb bit, and don't look at the total picture, things like having a deficit as well. Eating no carbs isn't going to make you lose weight if you make up for it by eating loads of extra fat, like lots of people do. The only real keto diet I think worth doing is things such as PSMF.

Like I say though, that's what works for me through trial and error. Everybody is different, you need to learn your body and what works for you.
All diets work in one of two ways:

1) Calorie restriction

2) Increased activity level

Most people consume large amounts of carbohydrates, reducing carbohydrate consumption reduces your calorific intake and in doing so creates a calorie deficit, which causes you to lose weight - it is no more mystical than that. The "metabolic" benefit that some people speak of is negligible if not non-existent. Equal or better results could be gained by a simple calorie controlled diet.

Low carb and ketogenic diets have a couple of fundamental problems though:

1) Carbohydrates are the preferred fuel source of the brain and your muscles - restrict carbohydrates and you will see a fall in athletic performance, lethargy, lack of concentration, headaches, mood swings, etc. Sure some people see an improvement after a couple of weeks but a lot don't without eating more carbs or limiting exercise intensity and volume. Again far from ideal.

2) Malnourishment - most people's diets are deficient in fruit and vegetables, low carb and ketogenic diets take things even further by restricting fruit and vegetable choices and consumption even more. To match this some people use vitamin and mineral supplements but they're expensive and have questionable efficacy.

3) Compliance - low or no carb diets are highly restrictive and do not fit in well with day to day life. The result is that most people give up within a relatively short space of time and regain most (if not all) of the weight they lost.

4) Cost - large amounts of high quality meats and fish are expensive. Few people can afford to maintain it or do it properly.

5) Health - low carb and ketogenic diets are deficient in vegetables and fruit, and within that fibre, vitamins and minerals, and a lot of people trying to cut the cost of the diet also eat more processed meats. Again, far from ideal.

Fat's aren't very satiating. Protein, fibre and water rich foods - YES. Fat - NO. If you're getting the majority of your calories from fat it is relatively easy to overeat or even gain weight.

Considering low carb and ketogenic diets are low in fibre and water rich foods (eg; vegetables, beans, lentils) it isn't ideal.

More myth than true.

It is harder than a lot of people think to lose large amounts of muscle, by and large we're talking about chronic malnourishment coupled with a significant calorie deficit and a lack of resistance training full stop.

The reason why rapid weight loss isn't ideal is because you're sacrificing your health and performance, and in the short term the majority of your weight loss is going to be water, not fat or muscle.

Paleo is a fad diet? Maybe not but it scores highly in the dogma stakes.

Sure it is a step forward for most but do we know that it is what Paleolithic man ate? Do we know that we are "designed" to eat it? Do we know that it is the "best" diet? No.

Even Paleo proponents can't decide amongst themselves - some say dairy products are ok, some not, some say legumes are ok, some not, some say rice is ok, some not, some say nuts and seeds are ok, some not, etc. All of that is woven together with a mixture of irrationality and poor science. For example, some foods are excluded from the diet because they contain "antinutritional factors" whereas in other instances it is ignored. Studies which found genetic markers to gluten sensitivity in some diseased populations are presented in a way to convince the reader that gluten CAUSED these diseases when in actual fact there is little or no evidence that that is the case. Elsewhere conflicting studies and evidence is ignored in an attempt to make a more convincing argument.

Frankly it is a mess.

I'm afraid that any person that does any proper research will finf your post is full of inaccurate, misleading and frankly emotive information.
A sensible ketogenic diet is easy to manage, is not hell, and will be incredibly effective, not only in terms of weight loss but in terms of general health, mental clarity and fitness and improved lifestyle and wellbeing. It will make you feel GREAT bit only if it is done properly.

There are many youtube videos that give detailed and full info, I'd suggest a start with a search for 'Keto for beginners' and recommend Dr Berg's channels as a good source of information.

|||For what it is worth, her is what I would suggest.

1. Remember firstly you cannopt do it all at once, and patience is required unless you are mentally so strong you can do anything easily.

2. If you cannot do all of the things at once, do some - it will still show results.

3. The first week - Give up all things with sugar in them and to do this you will need to check labels carefully - stuff like Tomato Ketchup and Sauces will ruin your efforts. Also bread and potatoes - but eat vegetables freely for a few days other than potatoes. No grains, whjich means no brad, and if this seems hard get some Nairns organic oatcakesx and have 1-2 a day for a week or so. No takeaways, and if you cannot go without alcohol (high in sugar) go for white wine or low-carb beer.

4. After a week like this, your sugar cravings will be lessened without you feeling too bad. Your biggest enemy will be friends and even family who will mock and badger you to 'just have a treat' and lie that breakfast is important, you need carbs, and a little of everything in moderation - ALL LIES that will undermine and destroy your efforts.

5. Realise that the biggest lie of all is calories, the body is not a bank account that you can put calories in and spend with exercise. Only an idiot would think that 1500 calories from 6 low-cal cokes, a couple of hot dogs, a bun, a glass of high sugar fruit juice and some chips plus a few slices of toast will be processed by the body in the same way as 2 large salads, a steak, scrambled eggs, an avocado, some good cheese, portions of broccoli and cauliflower, some berries and a full fat greek yoghurt, which would also come to about 1500 calories. The first menu would create an insulin spike, your body will be pressured, you will fell hungry again within 2 hours of any of those things and all the carbs will be stored as fat. The second, spread out into 2 or 3 meals six hour apart, will totally kill hunger, keep insulin and blood sugar level, and even reverse diabetes for many if adhered to. Calorie restriction alone will NEVER work - any weight loss will be temporary as the body adjusts to less food, weight loss stops and despondency sets in resulting in the diet being given up, even mnore weight returns.

6. Keto is a lkifestyle NOT a diet - you will be giving up the foul stodge of bread and potatoes and bloating rice for good, but think of all the things you CAN enjoy, though they must be good quality meats and oils, where they are used. Any old fat wont do, and low carb is not any ecuse to eat bad proteins (McDonalds and burgers meat are out, grass-fed meat yes) and coconut oil and butter and olive oil are a must - no vegetable oils,. expecailly canola, sunflower, safflower and similar. Fried food is fine if it is fried in coconut oil or butter.

6. In the reply above, after the nonsense about calories is another misconception about athletic performance. Energy levels when keto is done properly and even better if a few low-carb vegetables are added, will improve and so much energy will enable better athletic performance. Saying keto leads to malnourishment is a joke - as long as some salads, broccoli, berries and lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, and one piece of low-carb fruits are taken with the meat, fish, nuts, eggs and other keto staples, then giving up rubbish non-nutrient foods like heavily processed cereals, so-called skimmed and low-fat dairy foods that have had their nutrients removed and low-quality takeaway meals with chips, crisps, and similar will only improve your diet - the things you are giving up are the things with little or no nutrients.

Potato crisps or salmon, broccoli and cauliflower or sweet potatoes or soggy chips cooked in cheap dangerous vegetable oil, a few healthy brazil, pecan and macadamia nuts as a snack or some false granola bar full of sugar (but l;abelled low fatto foolyou), steak and salad or a cheaply produced Chinese takeaway - it is a no-brainer and your body will soon show you why, make the change and feel lighter, get rid of bloating and see the weight start to fall off. Wake refreshed after sleeping well, forget digestive problems and watch your blood pressure and choresterol levels improve.

Fats ARE going to make you feel full - it is carbs and sugar that make you want to eat every 2 or 3 hours.

After a week or two your hunger will be so lessened with good fats keeping you full, that INTERMITTENT FASTING (eating only in a 6-8 hour window each day) becomes very, very easy and that makes the keto even more effective. If your last meal is at 7pm each day, DONT SNACK and you only have to get to 11am or even better midday the next day and you have made it into intermittent fasting. If you then eat a keto lunch you wont be huingry again until 6pm / 7pm and having 2 good keto meals a day with enough good food in them will work wonders.

Don't believe the hype of those who have an agenda against keto, which includes 'big food' - who want to saell you snacks, and a lot of the msion who want to keep people on diabetic drugs and the like.
Reply 48
Original post by low carb truths
I'm afraid that any person that does any proper research will finf your post is full of inaccurate, misleading and frankly emotive information.
A sensible ketogenic diet is easy to manage, is not hell, and will be incredibly effective, not only in terms of weight loss but in terms of general health, mental clarity and fitness and improved lifestyle and wellbeing. It will make you feel GREAT bit only if it is done properly.

There are many youtube videos that give detailed and full info, I'd suggest a start with a search for 'Keto for beginners' and recommend Dr Berg's channels as a good source of information.

|||For what it is worth, her is what I would suggest.

1. Remember firstly you cannopt do it all at once, and patience is required unless you are mentally so strong you can do anything easily.

2. If you cannot do all of the things at once, do some - it will still show results.

3. The first week - Give up all things with sugar in them and to do this you will need to check labels carefully - stuff like Tomato Ketchup and Sauces will ruin your efforts. Also bread and potatoes - but eat vegetables freely for a few days other than potatoes. No grains, whjich means no brad, and if this seems hard get some Nairns organic oatcakesx and have 1-2 a day for a week or so. No takeaways, and if you cannot go without alcohol (high in sugar) go for white wine or low-carb beer.

4. After a week like this, your sugar cravings will be lessened without you feeling too bad. Your biggest enemy will be friends and even family who will mock and badger you to 'just have a treat' and lie that breakfast is important, you need carbs, and a little of everything in moderation - ALL LIES that will undermine and destroy your efforts.

5. Realise that the biggest lie of all is calories, the body is not a bank account that you can put calories in and spend with exercise. Only an idiot would think that 1500 calories from 6 low-cal cokes, a couple of hot dogs, a bun, a glass of high sugar fruit juice and some chips plus a few slices of toast will be processed by the body in the same way as 2 large salads, a steak, scrambled eggs, an avocado, some good cheese, portions of broccoli and cauliflower, some berries and a full fat greek yoghurt, which would also come to about 1500 calories. The first menu would create an insulin spike, your body will be pressured, you will fell hungry again within 2 hours of any of those things and all the carbs will be stored as fat. The second, spread out into 2 or 3 meals six hour apart, will totally kill hunger, keep insulin and blood sugar level, and even reverse diabetes for many if adhered to. Calorie restriction alone will NEVER work - any weight loss will be temporary as the body adjusts to less food, weight loss stops and despondency sets in resulting in the diet being given up, even mnore weight returns.

6. Keto is a lkifestyle NOT a diet - you will be giving up the foul stodge of bread and potatoes and bloating rice for good, but think of all the things you CAN enjoy, though they must be good quality meats and oils, where they are used. Any old fat wont do, and low carb is not any ecuse to eat bad proteins (McDonalds and burgers meat are out, grass-fed meat yes) and coconut oil and butter and olive oil are a must - no vegetable oils,. expecailly canola, sunflower, safflower and similar. Fried food is fine if it is fried in coconut oil or butter.

6. In the reply above, after the nonsense about calories is another misconception about athletic performance. Energy levels when keto is done properly and even better if a few low-carb vegetables are added, will improve and so much energy will enable better athletic performance. Saying keto leads to malnourishment is a joke - as long as some salads, broccoli, berries and lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, and one piece of low-carb fruits are taken with the meat, fish, nuts, eggs and other keto staples, then giving up rubbish non-nutrient foods like heavily processed cereals, so-called skimmed and low-fat dairy foods that have had their nutrients removed and low-quality takeaway meals with chips, crisps, and similar will only improve your diet - the things you are giving up are the things with little or no nutrients.

Potato crisps or salmon, broccoli and cauliflower or sweet potatoes or soggy chips cooked in cheap dangerous vegetable oil, a few healthy brazil, pecan and macadamia nuts as a snack or some false granola bar full of sugar (but l;abelled low fatto foolyou), steak and salad or a cheaply produced Chinese takeaway - it is a no-brainer and your body will soon show you why, make the change and feel lighter, get rid of bloating and see the weight start to fall off. Wake refreshed after sleeping well, forget digestive problems and watch your blood pressure and choresterol levels improve.

Fats ARE going to make you feel full - it is carbs and sugar that make you want to eat every 2 or 3 hours.

After a week or two your hunger will be so lessened with good fats keeping you full, that INTERMITTENT FASTING (eating only in a 6-8 hour window each day) becomes very, very easy and that makes the keto even more effective. If your last meal is at 7pm each day, DONT SNACK and you only have to get to 11am or even better midday the next day and you have made it into intermittent fasting. If you then eat a keto lunch you wont be huingry again until 6pm / 7pm and having 2 good keto meals a day with enough good food in them will work wonders.

Don't believe the hype of those who have an agenda against keto, which includes 'big food' - who want to saell you snacks, and a lot of the msion who want to keep people on diabetic drugs and the like.

That was made 6 years ago.
Original post by low carb truths

We're all entitled to our own opinions.

For me personally with an active job and lifestyle I couldn't get a ketogenic diet it to work for me. I utilise low(ish) carb cycles on a semi regular basis to control body fat (via calorie restriction) but I have always struggled with energy and focus running low or no carb.

"Youtube videos" are not accurate sources.

Take Dr Berg with a pinch of salt, he isn't a medical doctor (despite the image he likes to portray) and he posts sparse scientific evidence for or against his recommendations.

First and foremost he is a salesman of books, mentoring, courses and supplements, not a scientist or medical practitioner.

I much prefer Lyle McDonald's write ups on low carb diets personally.

What you're advocating here is a conventional healthy diet (which you would struggle to find someone to disagree on), not a ketogenic one.

If you look at the original studies looking at the satiating effects of different foodstuffs, protein, fibre and water rich foods generally scored higher than those containing high levels of fat:wink:

Intermittent fasting is a different topic, something which I have been meaning to try.

If in doubt make unfounded allegations of conspiracy and criminality.

Funnily enough this argument is used by many people advocating fad diets or lifestyle changes (eg; Paleo, barefoot running, etc).
i tried keto diet and it made me feel so sick and sluggish. i didnt have enenergy at work at all. but i know every body different. personaly it i think its good for some but there are too many peolpe joining the band wagon
Original post by fitfam33
i tried keto diet and it made me feel so sick and sluggish. i didnt have enenergy at work at all. but i know every body different. personaly it i think its good for some but there are too many peolpe joining the band wagon

This post is 6 years old
Original post by THESHade
You should watch the video anyway ...

but Paleo in short: no wheat, cereals, veggie oils, diary (even though I personally eat cheese)
Paleo is not exactly "diet" but more like a framework.

Watch the vid when you come home.

i dont see the video. can you repost it im really intersted in trying the keto diet but i have to have a lil more information
I've done it and lost the weight well you do get what is called a
the body runs off glucose, the keto diet only helps people lose weight tbh and then generally it’s hard to stick to. carbs are not bad at all and you NEED them...
I’ve heard too many bad things to even consider it tbf
A low-carb diet usually eliminates most grains, vegetables, fruits, breads, sweets, pastas and starchy vegetables, and sometimes nuts and seeds. Some low-carb diet plans allow small amounts of certain fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
....Ahem as a vegan....

Leaves the room....
Have you guy heard about Genetic diet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yninh7XKx_U
Cutting carbohydrates is very bad. Your brain needs them and it stores up problems for your body. Try eating a high cal and protein food with low or no carbs, like nuts or meat with no carbs to go with it. See how much your body will be crying out for it. This can result in over compensation. Do not cut carbs, eat the right carbs, fibre and protein in a balanced diet.
Original post by 4TSR
I heard it's a great idea and great success. I also heard it wasn't......Phentermine Diet Pills

what do you guys think?

in my openioun keto diet focuses on eating foods that are low in carbohydrates and high in fat. It is very similar to the Atkins diet, but doesn’t not allow for as much protein. By eating a diet low in carbs and high in fat you are able to put your body into a metabolic state called ketosis.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest