The Student Room Group

Lifeguard job

Scroll to see replies

I was wondering as a lifeguard how often do you actually need to go in the water? Is it something that happens every week, or is it more of a 'once in every 6 months' thing? I used to do a lot of swimming and spent a lot of time in the pool and I never have seen a lifeguard enter the water.

Also when you have to deal with something... what is usually the problem (I am guessing it is something minor like a small cut or a nose bleed or something?) Have you ever had to deal with a casualty whereby something very major/serious has occurred and how often on average does that sort of thing happen?
Reply 21
Original post by dylantombides
I was wondering as a lifeguard how often do you actually need to go in the water? Is it something that happens every week, or is it more of a 'once in every 6 months' thing? I used to do a lot of swimming and spent a lot of time in the pool and I never have seen a lifeguard enter the water.

Also when you have to deal with something... what is usually the problem (I am guessing it is something minor like a small cut or a nose bleed or something?) Have you ever had to deal with a casualty whereby something very major/serious has occurred and how often on average does that sort of thing happen?

I've been a qualified lifeguard for about 8 months now, and work at my local private school (£8.25 an hour!!!) and my DO (duty operator) has been a lifeguard for 10 years - never had to make a rescue. It's a rarity but its also dependant on where you work, and how strict you are as a team. The more you clamp down on little kids pushing each other in the pool, the less accidents you get. Sometimes it's the little kids complaining about the adults!

Obviously the more you clamp down on the little things, the less minor/major accidents happen, but factors could also include what type of pool you are, public or private. Private could very well mean you get a lot of older adults in, increasing the risk of age related incidents.

All in all it depends where you work, and the location you work in. The most common thing I deal with is nose bleeds, rope burns (from the inflatable sessions) and bruises and bangs from slips. Fairly basic stuff, but there's always the chance of something bad happening so you're trained to deal with it and how to recognise it.

So long story short, it's basic, but don't get complacent, whatever you do. Remember, as a lifeguard you can go down for corporate manslaughter under negligence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Actually, it's better than that, £7 an hour, not bad for a 16 year old, I work at an outdoor pool, so I'm in the sun all shift, and you sit there eating.. Not too bad!
My son took his nplq several years ago aged 18 as something to do whilst trying to get a proper job. Four years on and he's still doing it. He works for Nuffield Health and whenever they are short staffed with lifeguards, which is all the time, he can't take breaks which are supposed to be compulsory legally. Try sitting in that chair for eight hours in the warm air and not fall asleep. It is usually very boring as has been said, you have to berate stupid parents throwing their children in the air or rescue the odd baby as it rolls into the water behind mum sitting on the pool side talking to her mate. The worst one was when a man in his 20's collapsed after a gym workout followed by squash session and the other 16 year old lifeguard on duty with him froze, leaving my son to do all the work on his own till someone else appeared. Both cpr and defib were used. The ambulance arrived thirty minutes later after constant treatment by the staff, but he was pronounced dead on arrival at the hospital. Please be aware, these things happen, albeit not every week, but you have to be prepared for this mentally as well as physically.
Having said that, he usually works a 40plus week on minimum wage but is on a zero hours contract and is never paid the correct amount for the hours he has done. They are always promising to correct it but six months on and he's still waiting. It's probably safer both legally and financially to work at a council pool as private companies abuse their staff with only profit on their minds.
Reply 24
So from this , would i be able to apply for all these other things before hand so that it’s all ready for when I recieve the qualification ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending