The Student Room Group

Tom Daley twitter troll arrested.

Hopefully this will show other trolls that they can't get away with things like this. The media seem to be reporting that he later apologised. If you read his tweets you'll see he apologised in two tweets then tweeted many more taking back his apology and continuing his abuse.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/olympics/article-2181424/London-2012-Olympics-Tom-Daley-Twitter-troll-arrested.html

Scroll to see replies

There are drug addicts on the streets in my area beating up innocent people and the police don't do anything about it.

They shouldn't be concerning themselves with petty trolls, there are bigger fish to fry.
Reply 2
What did he say that actually got him arrested? Saying "You let your dad down i hope you know that" is not something that warrants an arrest.
Reply 3
Did the troll even know his dad was dead? There are bigger fish to fry like another poster said rather than people like this on the Internet... If somebody got arrested every time I got insulted then I'd be in court every other week..
Reply 4
Original post by Nephilim
What did he say that actually got him arrested? Saying "You let your dad down i hope you know that" is not something that warrants an arrest.

+1

Either something missing or something very very wrong with this.

There's a difference between acting like a tit and breaking the law.
Reply 5

Not exactly sure, but some of his tweets included threats to 'hunt you down' and threats to kill him. So I think that's all the police needed.

There was subsequent abuse/death threats.

I was following the saga on Twitter, he was saying a lot more than just that. He was threatening to rape and assault people who challenged him, which is a crime, end of.
Original post by AnthonyShock
There are drug addicts on the streets in my area beating up innocent people and the police don't do anything about it.

They shouldn't be concerning themselves with petty trolls, there are bigger fish to fry.

But the media cares more about the latter

This... it's not even like he said anything that was particularly bad, such as racial abuse or what have you - all he said was that he let his dad down... I'm just not seeing why this is being seen as so serious that the police have to get involved, it's stupid childish behaviour yes, and I don't condone it, but surely they have better things to do than go and arrest someone because they said on Twitted "You let your Dad down"... bloody hell...

EDIT:

There was subsequent abuse/death threats

was following the saga on Twitter, he was saying a lot more than just that. He was threatening to rape and assault people who challenged him, which is a crime, end of

Not exactly sure, but some of his tweets included threats to 'hunt you down' and threats to kill him. So I think that's all the police needed.

Ahh... in these situations then yeah it's justified... article doesn't make any mention of it though :s-smilie: ...weird.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by TheHistoryStudent
This... it's not even like he said anything that was particularly bad, such as racial abuse or what have you - all he said was that he let his dad down... I'm just not seeing why this is being seen as so serious that the police have to get involved, it's stupid childish behaviour yes, and I don't condone it, but surely they have better things to do than go and arrest someone because they said on Twitted "You let your Dad down"... bloody hell...

Read the few posts above.
Reply 11

There's always going to be bigger fish to fry. That doesn't mean they should overlook minor law breakers. Anyway I think why they did it is to 'nip it in the bud' as it were. Any trolls reading that must have been put off abusing people on twitter to some extent.
I think it was actually the many death threats he sent before and after that warranted arrest, it was the tweets to Tom Daley (which are horrendous, and I don't believe his story that he didn't know Tom's dad died) which brought attention to it.
Reply 13
How do they track ppl down on twitter.. & surely it wouldn't be hard to tweet anonymously...
Reply 14
Really peeves me how the media are constantly misusing the word 'troll.' Malicious abuse on the internet =/= 'trolling.'
I think it'd be deserved seeing as after he apologised, he then went on to threaten to hunt Tom Daley down and kill him and he was saying similar things to other people too. I reckon that's what got him arrested, not the original tweet about his dad.
Reply 16
Original post by ebam_uk
How do they track ppl down on twitter.. & surely it wouldn't be hard to tweet anonymously...

Well a new law came in recently (or is coming in soon, not sure) which means social networking sites must reveal the identity of trolls to the police. This guy wasn't anonymous though.
Reply 17
This guy is nota troll
Reply 18
The Media is presenting it pretty badly. Sky News showed it as him just saying you let your dad down followed by some of the apology tweets. None of the abuse I saw on his Twitter.
A bit disgraceful really. Arrested for (admittedly very distasteful) insults. Thats pathetic, the police need to look at themselves in the mirror. I'll be arrested for picking my nose in public at this rate...

I've seen worse insults published by restaurant/political critics. By this precedence, surely they must also be arrested?

Degredation of freedom of speech if you ask me, even if the twitter troll (not really a troll, more like an internet tough guy) is a **** (he did apologise, but then proceeded to carry on insulting the diver).

The most distasteful thing is I've seen worse on twitter with no reprocussions. It's only because its a celebrity/sports icon being targetted.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending